Rear brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the ride home from replacing the clutch cable, I found I had no rear brakes. Checked the system and everything looed dry and attached. I did have to manhandle the brake peddle to get the aftermarket chrome panel out of the way. Any ideas? Thanx, Dave

No brake....is the pedal hard to push, or mooshy? If it is hard to push, I would suspect the master cylinder, a kinked rubber hose, or the brake caliper seized. If you loosen the bleeder on the caliper, will the pedal move, and fluid come out?

No brake....is the pedal hard to push, or mooshy? If it is hard to push, I would suspect the master cylinder, a kinked rubber hose, or the brake caliper seized. If you loosen the bleeder on the caliper, will the pedal move, and fluid come out?
No resistance at all. I'll look into this weekend. Thanx

Up on the center stand, Brake applied will stop the wheel, just not enough to notice when on the road. The reservoir is at the "Low" line. I will top up and bleed the brakes. Any other ideas? Thanx, Dave

If the reservoir is low, but you see no leaks, the pads must be worn. If no leakage anywhere, I would take a look at the pads. The reason for a low reservoir can only be from a leak, or worn pads...(or it wasn't full to begin with) ;)

Rode to work yesterday and that'll be it till the weekend. Initially no rear brake. Half dozen pumps and they worked they're way up to poor. Stayed that way thru town. 20 minutes highway and no brakes at the exit ramp. Half dozen pumps and back to poor but working. More bleeding this weekend. Anything else? Thanx, Dave

Losing brake pressure and regaining some brake after pumping the pedal points to air in the system. Air can get in via leaking master cylinder or there is air trapped in the caliper (very common on the 1100 once air gets in). The issue is that once air is purged and the pedal gets normal pressure, you should not be getting air in the system again. It is possible that the return hole in the master cylinder is clogged and brake fluid is not returning.

Rode to work yesterday and that'll be it till the weekend. Initially no rear brake. Half dozen pumps and they worked they're way up to poor. Stayed that way thru town. 20 minutes highway and no brakes at the exit ramp. Half dozen pumps and back to poor but working. More bleeding this weekend. Anything else? Thanx, Dave
Same thing happened to me yesterday on my 81. Bled the rear after I got home and it's good again. With the reservoir well above the rest of the system I don't get how air can get in it. I think I'll hang a weight on the pedal when it's parked.

Latest posts