Antique VS Classic!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
A causual look into NJ and PA registration laws for motorcycles (including other vehicles), the definition for "Antique" is:

Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years
prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in
conformance with manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior
to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in
conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under
Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this
definition, which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic
registration unless another type of registration is applied for and issued for the vehicle.

With either registration, you cannot ride the bike for anything other than parades or other small outings! Seems kinda pointless to some degree! (No daily riders in this!)

If you keep your bike registered as a regular motorcycle (even though mine is 29 years old and meets conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance :hihihi: ) then you can ride and ride and ride. Register it for what it really is, an "ANTIQUE" and ya can't ride anymore! :whip: :moped:

Texas has similar requirements (though I don't think they differentiate between Classic and Antique) But the key in ours is "public display" I was showing it off on the way to work officer! :smilie_happy:

I have my bikes tagged regular and the Wing clearly qualifies for the Classic tags.
Now, my Mustang will be tagged as a Classic as I have no intention of driving it every day.

In TX you also only have to renew Classic registration every 5yrs and no inspection either.

Here in Ohio Historic plates are good for 25 years. I have only one bike so registered. Never had any issues with police over riding it.

I'm not finding anything about a "Classic" vehicle in California but did find this:

An antique car is defined as a car that was originally manufactured at least 39 years ago, according to California law.

California keeps increasing the number of years old like emissions testing, I can remember when anything over 20 years old didn't need a test, now it's more and more confusing with more bureaucratic red tape:

Existing law in California exempts all pre-1974 vehicles from emissions testing until 2003. After 2003, vehicles 30-years old and older are exempt from emissions testing.

California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.

I have "authentic plates" on my CB500 and CB400F.Those are year correct plates,a 1973 for the 500 and a 1974 with a 75 sticker on the 400.
The registration comes with a letter of explanation for police explaining they are "pleasure vehicles" and not in the regular computor system.Very broud statement.I am pleasured every where I ride them.And I ride em often with no trouble.

I have plenty of friends using "authentic plates" on bikes and cars and know of nobody who has ever been hassled.

With that said,I have a normal plate on the wing.I ride it into to many differant states and dont consider it a classic or a show bike,just the family RV.Besides can you imagine trying to get back and forth from canada with a 1983 license plate? :shock:

Attachments

• DSC_2117.JPG
    DSC_2117.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_2089.JPG
    DSC_2089.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 268
Tory":1wvgblpt said:
I have "authentic plates" on my CB500 and CB400F.Those are year correct plates,a 1973 for the 500 and a 1974 with a 75 sticker on the 400.
The registration comes with a letter of explanation for police explaining they are "pleasure vehicles" and not in the regular computor system.Very broud statement.I am pleasured every where I ride them.And I ride em often with no trouble.

I have plenty of friends using "authentic plates" on bikes and cars and know of nobody who has ever been hassled.

With that said,I have a normal plate on the wing.I ride it into to many differant states and dont consider it a classic or a show bike,just the family RV.Besides can you imagine trying to get back and forth from canada with a 1983 license plate? :shock:

Wow!
Very very nice Honda fours. Especially stock 400F.

dan filipi":3na4t1m1 said:
I'm not finding anything about a "Classic" vehicle in California but did find this:

An antique car is defined as a car that was originally manufactured at least 39 years ago, according to California law.

California keeps increasing the number of years old like emissions testing, I can remember when anything over 20 years old didn't need a test, now it's more and more confusing with more bureaucratic red tape:

Existing law in California exempts all pre-1974 vehicles from emissions testing until 2003. After 2003, vehicles 30-years old and older are exempt from emissions testing.

California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.

Cut & paste from the CA-BAR website:
https://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivities/01_GettingSmogged/01_DoINeedaSmogCheck.html

Some vehicles are not required to obtain a smog check inspection for registration purposes.

Vehicles that are six or less model-years old are abated from the biennial smog check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in the 2008 calendar year, the abated years include 2003 through 2008.

Vehicles that are four or less model-years old are abated from the smog check inspection requirement upon change of ownership and transfer of title transactions with the Department of Motor Vehicles. In 2008, the abated years are 2005 through 2008.

As of April 1, 2005, the 30 year rolling exemption was repealed. 1976 and newer vehicles are now required to have smog check inspections for biennial registration renewals, change of ownership transactions and initial registration in California.

Vehicles being initially registered in California that were previously registered in another state are exempt from the biennial smog check inspection requirements if the vehicle is a 1975 or older model. All 1976 to current year vehicles are required to obtain a smog check certificate of compliance prior to initial registration in California.

1976 and up. Keep in mind this is about "biennial" inspections. Hope this helps.

All 1976 to current year vehicles are required to obtain a smog check certificate of compliance prior to initial registration in California.

Is there any way we can find out if that applies to motorcycles?

toytender01":3mnfqs06 said:
Yah, I just went through that diesel smog check. One H--- of a lot to pay for someone to look under the hood. :rant: :rant: :ahem:

Yup, it's a crock. Semi's, farm equipment and stationary engines have no test requirements. Why? Mostly because they pay a heavy tax to operate. You have to have your vehicle inspected because it earns federal highway dollars/credits for the state. They know they have a better chance at getting you to pay for an inspection than to get you to pony up like the big guys. So they create a program that will get fed money directed to the discretion of the few at the top. I understand you feel violated being forced to fork over what little money you have for something that only takes a few minutes. But what you paid was what the local market will bare and not much more than the cost of doing business. Not much money to be made in the inspection part. The money comes from repairing the failures. It took me a year to get an inspectors license, and that only because everything went smoothly. At the time I worked in a shop with a couple instructors who taught the classes. That was a big help as far as mailing paperwork and procedures, etc. But other than that it was like jumping through fiery hoops in a circus for a year, getting all the prerequisites gathered, which qualified me for the exam. Certifications, experience, on going training and tooling considered, it's been many years since I've been paid what I'm worth. And except for the near classics, most cars don't even fail anymore. But I imagine that has a lot to do with demographics.

Welp, I can see I'm carrying on again, so my meds must be kick'n in.

Here in Missouri you can tag a vehicle 25 yrs old as a Historic vehicle.
It is a permanent registratiion!!
You are limited to 1000 miles a year for "personal use" and have to carry a mileage log while driving on public roads.
I might do it on my 79, no inspections and no renewal would be worth it. :salute:

1000 mile limit would not be worth it to me.
Fortunitly michigan has no millage limet,just need to be injoying yourself. :yahoo:

We will see how good that 1973 michgan plate works in alabama next week,I will be taking the 500 down there in a couple days to cure the winter blues.

Here in Wisconsin you can get "Collector' Plates for anything 20 years & older. You can pretty much ride anywhere anytime & once you pay the onetime fee thats it you never have to pay a registration again.
When I get my 78 back thats whats going on it. Why continue to pay registration when you don't have to.
I've been told that once you have one, the second is even cheaper. I already have one on my 83 Motorhome