backfiring out of the carb and fluctuating powerband

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So.... Got her cranked over and ready to ride after the winter... Before she was fine. Now I'm having issues when my gl1100 1981 cranks over I here a slight tick coming from the left side engine. Not very prevalent in the right... But accelerating I cannot go full throttle. I tried it once. It sounded like grinding gears. And she started backfiring about half throttle sounded like it was the right side... Mainly I need to know what is going on??? She was running great before winter now... Not so much.. Anyone has any pointers where to start? Or what a possible issue might be? Any input would be great! Thanks in advance.

(corrected title-aapple)

hmmm I don't know what to think but I wouldn't run it till I found out everything is right ...like cam timing ....taking valve covers off ... and plugs out to turn by hand ... using the crank bolt to turn motor over ....be on the safe side .... the noise you describe sounds like it may have jumped time a couple teeth .... be on the safe side till things are confirmed right

If it ran fine before hibernation I'd be looking at fuel delivery, change fuel filter, drain gas and fill with fresh.
Hopefully with that the carbs will clean up while running and won't need to be pulled out for cleaning.
Kinda sounds like slides hanging up.
Spark plugs could be carbon tracking, put in new. It's a cheap test.

Did the bike just sit since last time it was run? Did you perform any work? Any chance you pulled the plug wires for a look around and put them back wrong?

Thanks guys I will check the plugs and vaccum today... I haven 't been riding it. The only thing I've done was remove the windjammer and replace it with a side mounted headlight[ Haven't done any troubleshooting on it yet. Yesterday is the first day I rode it. Only about 10 miles out and back.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114621#p114621:39e81ig6 said:
timd82 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:52 pm[/url]":39e81ig6]
Yeah I know... Like i said she was working fine a few .months ago..

Famous last words.... :hihihi:
I'm thinking stuck valve. An intake valve that is stuck open a little could backfire, and cause loss of power, AND the ticking noise. Just a thought.... :yes:

You may have had some fuel passages partially plugged, after having it set for so long. Spitting back or "backfiring" into the carb throat is a classic example of inadequate fuel delivery. Does it spit back less with the choke partially closed?

Sorry guys. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Been working a bunch and the weather has been a little crazy. As long as it is nice tomorrow I'll go through the list and start with minor things first. Plugs, valve cover.. Check the carb. I'll keep everyone posted. I really appreciate everyone chiming in!