bike sat since 2005

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres a lot on an oldwing to service on old bikes and unknown condition....but big things are running ATF mix in the gas 8oz per tank checking the timing belt ans seeing if there in good shape and tension right ...plug wires and new plug ends .....flushing radiator and checking water pump for play .....a lot realy to mush to do at one time realy checking to see if radiator fan cyclesi could go on and on there great bikes but it takes awhile to know them well

Start at the beginning.....first there were dinosours see and then a flood and........oh you mean on the bike??? :smilie_happy:

Joe is right....does it start?

Tell us what you have (pics help). It sat since '05, how many miles on it, did it sit outside, (garage queen maybe?), visual condition of bike, tires, battery, belts, etc......We can help if there is a good starting point!

Did it sit for five years or was it in use, makes a big difference.
How it was stored also makes a big difference.

I have one that sat for almost 10 years.
Water got in the engine and rust has locked up the starter clutch so engine needs to come out to have a look at the rest of it.

Remember this is a 30 year old bike.
Anything this old needs to be gone through from top to bottom.
Oil
Coolant
Hoses, brakes also
Brake fluid flush
Bearings
Tires
Lube or replace cables

Basically everything that moves needs to be checked for wear, rust, replaced as needed.

Should also check very closely for frame rust.

This parts bike I have I originally had planned to restore but decided to part it out.
As I was removing parts I found just about every bolt and nut was loose.
Had I jumped on this thing without going over it and finding everything loose, the outcome could have been BAD so I recommend looking over every last nut and bolt.

(I merged your 2 posts and moved all your others to the correct forum. Please post your questions in the correct forum)