Bought a new bike it's a Honda

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved the VFR1200 dual clutch but only in manual mode where you use the paddle shifters on the left bar. It was totally mad how you could knock it down 2 gears and the electronics would peak the revs select the next lower gear as you braked and provide engine braking as well. Unfortunately in D mode it shifted up too quickly and you couldn't travel slowly on city streets. In S (sport) mode it seemed to shift at 14000 rpm ( maybe an exaggeration ) but it wasn't any better I only liked manual mode.

I am still a wing man, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I just change out a bike 900lbs gorilla of a 1800cc suzuki cruiser that wanted to go straight when going around curves.

I almost went off roading in many curves with that bike, it scared the schnitz out of me, many times, I was afaid i was going to be buried on that thing.

When i traded that 1800cc Gorilla bike in, it only had 1,100 miles on it, as i did not like riding it, but it was a dragster in a straight line only, it had a 260 size very wide rear tire on it.

I bought a 2010 engine/trans from a similar bike with only 1300-miles on it, someone crashed it, from one of these 1800cc bikes, V-twin Liquid cooled, DOHC 4 valves per cyl

112.0 x 90.5 mm (4.4 x 3.6 inches) bore stroke 4.4 inch pistons!!!, 2ea. 56mm throttle bodies, it has two OIL pumps in this engine, they are Very torquey, 130H.P. @ 6200rpm and 130 ft lbs of torque @ 3200rpm.

I have that engine in my shop as a project TRIKE, I bought the Engine/Trans, swing arm, Rear shock, rear wheel, Rear brake/caliper, rear shaft drive, and the complete wiring harness, and all electronics, including speedo & tach. Ignition & key.

I also have a 99' Miata complete sport Independent front suspension, & Swaybar, with disc brakes & calipers, to merge/graft together,

It should be a good marriage or project trike.

Yes, the new and Improved, version of the DCT auto trans, from what i here is a much better revision, and shift points are much improved, and the system learns your driving, and shifts accordingly

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83570#p83570:6arr4jdc said:
Ansimp » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 am[/url]":6arr4jdc]I loved the VFR1200 dual clutch but only in manual mode where you use the paddle shifters on the left bar. It was totally mad how you could knock it down 2 gears and the electronics would peak the revs select the next lower gear as you braked and provide engine braking as well. Unfortunately in D mode it shifted up too quickly and you couldn't travel slowly on city streets. In S (sport) mode it seemed to shift at 14000 rpm ( maybe an exaggeration ) but it wasn't any better I only liked manual mode.

also

NC700X
Charging output

420 watts @ 5000rpm
Ignition: Digital transistorized w/ electronic advance
Battery: 12V 12AH

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83560#p83560:16qrj1rt said:
westgl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:47 am[/url]":16qrj1rt]Does anybody notice what Honda was trying to do here.
Bring Bates fairings back? :hihihi:

I have ridden one myself on a test ride with a view to purchase new next year. Lovely machine and very nicely nailed together. Am keeping the Wing though because it is better for long distance two up touring , especially when going away for more than a couple of days. :moped: :moped:

I was unaware that Hondo went to nails i thought they were using glue and tape

I dont know if I would go into the Honda Dealer, If i was you, it's dangerous.

I stopped into my local Honda dealer.

I saw the new CTX1300 and the new GL1800 Valkyrie, I am not sure which one of those two, maybe both, will be in my garage soon.

I am going back for a couple of test rides soon.

geee good to hear from you westgl....havnt been to a honda dealer in awhile ...but i am in no market for a new honda ...i really like the oldwings ...especially my remanfactured one thats so much better than the honda ones .....plus there just not worth it in money to me ....glad to have the hobby of working on them ...you cant on new bikes with warranty and your subject to play that game of no choice....but i have to admit i like the two bikes you mention...just not paying for them

Would rather see your finished 4 cyl Valkerie than a new one Westgl :good:

My problem is i changed the way I do business, and my income has skyrocketed, about 25 times, but my time is much less especially with riding figured in.

New Valkyrie get 50+mpg, out of a GL1800Valkyrie.

I was shocked to see that on the Valk forum.

It is easier for me to buy than to come up with free time these days, may be soon.

I have also looking at getting a new Polaris Slingshot trike, maybe this summer if things continue as they are.

crap just when I get down from 13 bikes to 7 bikes (3 are projects).

Well the Nice thing about a NEW bike is you have a very reliable bike and dont have to be wrenching on it.

I never had anything go out on my 01' GL1800 it had 50k miles so it was still a baby

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133008#p133008:aw6nsrpo said:
joedrum » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 am[/url]":aw6nsrpo]
home of oldwings ..and the people that make them better than they ever were :yes:
Yeah, and it's more fun than flashing money around.

well its safe to say he is done with single carb oldwings ...sheesh what a bunch of how to posts then nothing and now new bike is the answer ...the forums are full of this kind of self glorifying bunk ..till exposed

The last bike I had, before the '82 GW, was a Kawasaki Versys that I bought new. It was a great bike; quick, comfortable and dead reliable. Trouble is it was like an appliance. All I needed to do was put gas in a ride. I am a tinkerer so it bored me.

Sold it and bought the GW. It is like a blank canvas for tinkerers and hot rodders. The engine layout opens up all kinds of mods to the intake, exhaust, swap engines between years etc etc. And the basic bike is built so well that you are rewarded with great, vibration-free, bullet-proof performance.

You'd think there would be a strong aftermarket for things like Pistons, cams, stroker cranks etc. would be interesting to see the true potential of the 4 cylinder box engine.

Brian