Brake light=Nothing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amd1229

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New kid here. I picked up an 83 gl1100 and I've given it the proper amount of love and affection to get it on the road. However I noticed that the running lights are on but when I hit the brake (front/rear) the brake light does not illuminate. After removing the lens, I see that there is one bulb that does the tail and brake light. Bulb looks good, no broken filaments. So I was wondering it you had any thoughts.
Thanks! This place is awesome!

Welcome to Classics! My history with lights in the tail have either been a faulty connection or a faulty ground. Are you getting 12 volts to the plug? If not, the problem is further front.

Should be 2 dual filament bulbs 1157 type, both bulbs light for running and brake. Check for voltage to them under the seat is the harness...Welcome to the forum.

First, see if the rear brake pedal illuminates the brake light when depressed. If it does, then check micro switch at the lever for a faint double click sound when actuated and connectors. Or if you own an meter omh it out. Also do your turn signals flash? If not could be a fuse they are on the same circuit.

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input. I don't get the running light to get brighter when you pull in brake lever or depress brake pedal. I guess the best thing to do is check the connectors as mentioned above. Will do that as soon as I get home and report back. So here is a newbie question. I have a voltmeter so could some on wall me through the process of checking the voltage?

Set meter to dcv (direct current voltage) . Whatever range cover 12-14 volts. On many meters its 20v. Use the positive terminal of the battery for the red + lead of the meter then attach the black to a good ground. You'll know it's good when you read battery voltage. Now you use the positive lead from the meter to check for voltage at the light sockets, switches. Green wires are all ground wires. Power is another color.

From what you posted, it sounds like you can rule out the switches. The chances of both going out at once would be improbable. Check connectors and maybe bullet connectors under the seat as well.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148057#p148057:1r22bta7 said:
Terry » 48 minutes ago[/url]":1r22bta7]
First, see if the rear brake pedal illuminates the brake light when depressed. If it does, then check micro switch at the lever for a faint double click sound when actuated and connectors. Or if you own an meter omh it out. Also do your turn signals flash? If not could be a fuse they are on the same circuit.

Welcome from Oz
Does the horn and the flashers work? , if not check the fuse :yes:

One other thing, be sure that the bulb is in fact good, the brake filament will burn out first on these bulbs because they get turned on/off more often but they dont always blow like a fuse, sometimes the filament just disconnected from the post leaving the filament there and seemingly connected. I hold the bulb in one hand then flick the bulb with my finger to be sure, if the filament is disconnected you can tell and it will move like a guitar string, or you can just replace with a known good one to be sure.

Ok so I replaced the bulbs and still no brake light. Checked the fuses and all were good-horn worked no problem. I guess it's in the wiring! When I squeeze the hand brake I do get that faint "click" if that helps.

I had a brake light failure b4 and it wound up being the wires got loose from the securing point and drug on the tire, it wore through wire sheath and wire from that friction

You can unplug either switch wires and bridge them with a piece of wire and that will tell you if the switches are faulty.

All you really need is a 12V test light, 99 cent store has them. Pull the seat, Ground the alligator clip to the (I think) green wire then check the other two for voltage, the one that lights the test light without hitting the brake is the running light, it already works right, the other will be brake 12V so then press the brake pedal and see if there is voltage.