Buying, Owning and Maintaining an Older Vintage Motorcycle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have put my musings regarding this subject in my bike log. For those who have read my article, it is my opinion and thoughts on owning a Goldwing for the past four years, and now into the future.

I'm certain that some of my thoughts may not be entirely accurate, but then who's are. There is always room for improvement, and quite possibly revision.

I have started this thread for comments so that I can keep my articles uncluttered.

I have several more articles that I will place in my bike log that I hope flow logically from the first.

Cheers

(live link added-aapple)

Sooo many potential PO issues with buying an old bike. At least with one that you bought new, you know its history and primarily must maintain it. My '06 is just maintenance for 114k miles so far. My '78 has been abused and the primary work on it has been recovering from the mistreatment of POs. Of course, there is always finding one that has been lovingly cared for. Not with my luck!

Thanks for reading, it's a rather long dissertation that I will be adding to.

I have found that acceptance of your decision then getting on with what you need to do is the only thing you can do. Even a well kept bike can have skeletons.

I wrote the article to sort of justify what I did, and to reflect on such a decision. I do not regret it in the least. I've had my '85 to LA and back. It was a solo ride down and two up on the way back, and of course I had one issue that was solved. I've done several trips around BC as well, solo and two up. Great bike once I got it to a standard I was willing to accept.

Cheers

Next article is shorter and almost ready to go, but are my thoughts on the decision making process, and as always just my opinion.

I have been doing this over the past three years, putting my thoughts down so I could reflect on what I have done. Sort of like Mr Holland's Opus - very good movie.

Cheers

Part 2 - Initial Preparation has been posted on my bike log regarding this subject. As per the first one, it is part of an ongoing story that I have been preparing in my spare time.

I also intend to bring in the electrical and other articles that I have put on this forum so the information can be found in one place.

For those of you who will or are reading my articles, trust these have been entertaining and reflective.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207457#p207457:11kcdu7z said:
Rednaxs60 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:21 pm[/url]":11kcdu7z]
Part 2 - Initial Preparation has been posted on my bike log regarding this subject. As per the first one, it is part of an ongoing story that I have been preparing in my spare time.

I also intend to bring in the electrical and other articles that I have put on this forum so the information can be found in one place.

For those of you who will or are reading my articles, trust these have been entertaining and reflective.

Cheers
I do and they have been very informative.

yes they are well done and hard at times for me to grasp totally but im getting better at it and need the challenge … seems you are completely devoid of self glory in your research and posting ...something I get excused of a lot … :thanks: :hihihi:

I have been editing Part 2 of my dissertation as I review and work on Part 3. The edited parts or inclusions will be italicized so that you can easily review. Trying to keep information in the relevant sections. Cheers

Part 3 - The Purchase has been posted in my bike log. I have tried to be generic with all the articles to date. I will be continuing with my story, but the rest of the articles will probably be more specific to my experience with my '85 LTD.

For those who have read and may read my articles, trust they are entertaining. I like the thought that it is not the destination that is important, but the journey. This is my journey with my Goldwing.

Cheers

Part 5 - Work and Maintenance Part 2 is now posted. These posts are quite timely because I'm doing what could be considered an extensive winter work period, and I'm tripping down memory lane while I do the work. Cheers

Latest posts