C5 Performance says hello to our fellow Goldwing gearheads!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5Performance

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My name is Paul and I am President of C5 Performance in Wisconsin, USA. I was invited to join by Dan Filipi. We are a new (small) family owned company that designs and sell optically triggered multi spark ignitions for classic vehicles. One project we just finished is for the GL1000 and we also have a GL1500 kit coming soon. Hopefully we can share some useful information with other Goldwing lovers, and solve some of the ignition failures that many of us have struggled with, and save a few Goldwings from the scrap yard. I just finished a 25 year career working at a local Motorsports dealership.

Currently we own a poorly maintained '78 model and are adding an offroad style sidecar. We plan to make this a barely street legal adventure Wing with skidplates, knobby tires, gun scabbard, and of course add our new C5 Ignition so we can fine tune our "on the fly" selectable ignition curves. My good friend Louis in Green Bay is teaching me the art of side car manufacturing, and also is our lead Goldwing expert when designing new systems. We also have kits for Ford, Chevy, Dodge, British bikes, Japanese bikes, and Harley as well.

Thanks Dan for inviting us. I hope we can learn a few things from other Honda owners and meet some new riding buddies!

:thanks:

Howdy Paul & C5 Performance, welcome to CGW. Interesting work your performing over there, I visited your website the other day to catch up on the work you were doing. Wish you great success.

Yep that's right, I invited Paul and Louis here because I feel strongly that their ignition design is the best out there and
filling a much needed gap for our bikes.

image.php

There is documentation I will be putting in the gallery also.

Soon I'll be installing the 1000 system on my 1100, after I put the 1000 cams back in.
I will document how the install goes of course.

Paul, I keep forgetting to ask each time we talk.
What all is included in your kit?

Thank you all for the kind words! In no particular order here are some answers:

Kits come with the ignition module (no additional control boxes are used), coil(s) and mounting hardware, a set of special high resistance plug wires, and instructions. We also have online installation guides to help you avoid mistakes.

We completed the GL1000 kit first because i was most frustrated with the amount of coil failures i had with my own collection.
It was also the easiest because it has a points cup. Yes, we had to redesign it larger to fit our current ignition, but the cam post made this a relatively easy project.

The GL1100 and GL1200 we skipped due to the above mentioned issues, but we fully intend on having kits. We may offer those with a set of cams so we can mount the system in the same location as the GL1000. Not sure yet...

The GL1500 kit installs over the timing pulley with a special adapter. We have one installed in Loius Hallett's Cushman Truckster since he uses a 1500 engine, but we are not to the "test running" part until he is done wiring the beast. I believe he posted a photo of the ignition on his engine already.

We started our small business in October of 2012 and are determined to have everything possible made in the USA. Our GL1000 kit was designed and machined locally. We encourage any ideas or feedback to improve our products!

One last item...what's so different about our ignitions?

The two main differences of this ignition are the use of a "laser beam" style optical trigger instead of magnets (which are not accurate and fail more often than you think), and the ability to fire a multiple spark at all engine speeds.

The two special functions work to provide the most accurate ignition ever designed, and burn more fuel than any other system, giving you better starts, smoother idle, stronger low and midrange power, and usually reduces oil consumption. GL1000's idle nicely at 400-500 rpm and require little or no choke to start in moderate temps. We have tested cold starting down to 40 degrees with great results.

Our first GL1000 test netted over 25% gain in torque at the rear wheel on a Dynojet brand dyno.

25% increase in torgue!
Holy Moly!

I have experienced improvement in cold starts running 1500 coils with no resistor on my 1100.
I can only imagine the improvement with multi spark and spark at the exact right time, add to this better wires and plug caps.
I think this package would be ideal.

C5, how about reliability?
You say you started up in 2012.
Have you enough run time with the kits you've sold to say they are trouble free and reliable?

I've put the C5ignition installation manuals in the Gallery for easier reference.
gallery/album.php?album_id=1997

There are also some other very good references written by Paul I'll be putting there as well.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83717#p83717:35xvoxfe said:
C5Performance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 am[/url]":35xvoxfe]The two main differences of this ignition are the use of a "laser beam" style optical trigger instead of magnets (which are not accurate and fail more often than you think), and the ability to fire a multiple spark at all engine speeds.

Are your units sealed well enough to keep moisture out? That's a big concern with optical triggers in ignition systems.... :yes:
Could you design one for the 1100 that is short enough to actually get OFF/on the engine without pulling the swingarm? :beg:

There is a hole in the housing to let moisture out. The actual electronics of course are totally sealed. You could put foam in the hole for off road use like i plan on doing.
There isnt enough room to pull/install the ignition on the GL1100 without pulling something...thats why we are looking into a GL1000 cam as a better solution.

Latest posts