Carb rebuild pilot air screw

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcork

Reaction score
Folks I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my 1983 gl1100. So far all is well. My pilot air screws were factory set at 1 turn on three of the carbs and almost 2 turns on one. I know these were factory settings because I had to grind down the little flags to remove them. Is the correct setting 3 turns to start with and if so why do you folks think they were set so low. The bike wa s running bad on low idel thanks jim

Final setting will not be the same on all carbs. If set by the book the two turns out is a base setting just to get it running. If it runs like that I'd run ATF or your favorite injector cleaner in three or four tanks of fuel before adjusting anything. Chances are the idle circuits in the carbs is a bit gummed up.

Everything has been removed and cleaned throughly. Just curiously why factory settings so low. Thank you for your input.

I doubt the factory set them there, more then likely the bowls were removed and then someone dickered with the settings , maybe got 3 right and didn't double check..back on the bike it was too late to re-adjust and just left them there.
Most of these old wings have been tinkered with every which way.

Can anyone tell me if a 1979 headlight assembly fit a 1983 gl1100. I am considering removing the fairing, because of its condition.

If the 83 has the mounting ears for the headlight yes it will fit. And yes the green wire is ground.

Right now I have a fairing that is in bad shape and would like to take it off. There is a set on eBay from a 1979. It has round turn signals and appears the bucket and ears are one piece.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180145#p180145:2zpfgcy7 said:
Jcork » September 8th, 2016, 7:33 pm[/url]":2zpfgcy7]
Folks I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my 1983 gl1100. So far all is well. My pilot air screws were factory set at 1 turn on three of the carbs and almost 2 turns on one. I know these were factory settings because I had to grind down the little flags to remove them. Is the correct setting 3 turns to start with and if so why do you folks think they were set so low. The bike wa s running bad on low idel thanks jim

Unfortunately Tha Factory set em for low emissions not to idle good .

Thanks for the link to the headlight, I think I will try to get the ears, headlight and signals that goes on a regular. Thanks. It will be hard to find, but I'll wait.

Got it back together and she runs nice at idol. Will synchronize the carbs soon as I get gages. Boy that's nice.

I just replaced my fuse box. A couple of questions. There are only 5 primary leads.. What does the white wire feed. Also does any poor which wire may feed the coils. I fired up the girl and it appears changing the box made a significant impact on her. The reason I changed the box was the fuse feeding the light melted. Just like the pics posted on the net. Thanks folks.

Latest posts