• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

chance to buy 1986 GL1200 Aspy

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTgl1000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a local posting for this 1986 GL1200 ASPY- He doesn't know the mileage on it. He said he inherited it from a friend who had just purchased it from the original owner.
He has a lot of extra parts fairing, seat and a couple of crates of misc.
It needs a stator. I understand its about a $100 part and requires an engine removal.
My question is he is asking $1000 OBO.
I am leaning towards the OBO depending on mileage and overall condition.
From these limited details anyone want to chime in on a good OBO to start?

(Locally these year GW's with 45,000 to 75,000 are asking for $2000 to $3000)

I am going to look at it on Sunday before the Annual "Polar Bear Ride"

It's hard to say what to offer without seeing it. I'd check it out and base my offer on what condition it's in. You already know you'll have to put some work and money into it. Ask the owner what is the least he'd take then go from there.

Tough call. Many things to concider here in condition when it's not known and how long it's been sitting, how it's been stored.
$1000 is fair really if a new stator would make it rideable, maybe new tires needed also $1000 might still be fair.

I would check it out very good, inside the gas tank, brakes (working - for leaks), Tire Tread, Last time it was ran ( carbs could need cleaning now if it has been parked for a period if time), how long sitting, and even take a compression check if possible. I am sure the timing belts will probably need replaced, but an easy job when the motor is out. Overall conditions will tell you a lot and how well it was taken care of from the PO. Then you can base your offer on what you know about the bike.

Like said you can dump a bunch of money in these fast if too much is wrong, I can forgive a few things like stator tires and brakes if the bike is otherwise clean with nice paint and upholstery but if the paint is bad and seat is toast add it all up and you would be better off finding a runner.
Tough call without pics.

Sounds to me like battery is toast or he'd know the mileage. Regardless how good it looks. I'd explain to the seller a non runner is a parts bike and offer $500 if I wanted it then dicker from there.Might get lucky and find the stator connection is junk and some solder and a battery is all it really needs to be a runner. Might not be so lucky and end up buying stator, battery, tires. And still be chasing gremlins. I just purchased an 84 standard in decent shape. Needs a head gasket but starts for $700.

Make sure to look at the paper trail also, ie who owns it vs who's selling it. We seem to run into a lot of bought from owner sold 2-3 times & never transferred to the seller & if there is an issue with the paper work, you have to go find the original owner. Just a heads up to not forget the paper trail. As others have stated there are lots of blanks to the info. My biggest would be is it running & when was it last registered & running, if not. Longer not running the lower the price. Finish is number 2, rougher looking lower the price (looks do sell). The not knowing mileage maybe that the battery is dead, bring jumpers to see if it will light up. If it has not run in a long while I wouldn't try to start, timing belt breaks & it's worth less. They start it breaks, it's on them. Just read a post about a wing motor that got trashed just from a season start up after riding last year, he hadn't done belts in at least 10 years, but low miles. I'm beginning to think that if you don't know of timing belts, don't even start them. Good luck

After my recent rebuild of an oldwing that sat 12 years I would recommend carefully considering your goals.
I think buying a second good cheap parts bike would be best case senerio. Even used rebuildable parts can be difficult and pricey to source.
If your goal is to resell it, that could be hard to make much, but if it is to gain an affordable rider you can ride the value out of you should be good.
Unknowns are unsettling so at least scrutinize the key things like free turning engine etc.
I mean anything is resolvable, but is it practical and worthwhile?

Personally, I had to remove and rebuild literally everything except the engine internals to get mine right and doubt it is worth the cost but it is right,

Now I have an nice true one owner 18000 mile oldwing that I bought for a couple hundred bucks initially. It's a gratifing feeling as I look it over or ride it down the road.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170052#p170052:3e6joziv said:
slabghost » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:45 pm[/url]":3e6joziv]
Sounds to me like battery is toast or he'd know the mileage. Regardless how good it looks. I'd explain to the seller a non runner is a parts bike and offer $500 if I wanted it then dicker from there.Might get lucky and find the stator connection is junk and some solder and a battery is all it really needs to be a runner. Might not be so lucky and end up buying stator, battery, tires. And still be chasing gremlins. I just purchased an 84 standard in decent shape. Needs a head gasket but starts for $700.

+1 on the $500 offer
That being said I paid $900 for the Rats Nest in Jan 2013 and it was a non runner :whistling:

OK, I just got off the phone to set up a time to see the bike and I was asking about the mileage and he said bring your battery and we'll see,He thinks is low, He has the title and bill of sale form his deceased friend. I let him know I wasn't trying to offend him but the $1000 was out of my range and was going to offer him $600 max depending on mileage and if it will turn over etc:
He said I'll tell ya what, Bring me $650 today and you can have it all.

Being Sunday I cant get that much out of the ATM....dang, He moved pretty fast, :BigGrin:

I am going to look at it here in a few.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170033#p170033:3tl48wrl said:
UTgl1000 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 pm[/url]":3tl48wrl]
1986 GL1200 ASPY- He doesn't know the mileage on it.
Yep, the odo on the '86 Aspy is mechanical and a battery is not required to read it. I know because I have one! :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170033#p170033:3tl48wrl said:
UTgl1000 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 pm[/url]":3tl48wrl]
It needs a stator. I understand its about a $100 part and requires an engine removal.

Honestly, rather than breaking down the engine, you'd probably be better off doing a Poorboy conversion. You'll have more power available, and a better overall power system with a "real" alternator. IMHO. And, it'll probably take less time to do it than pulling the motor out of that beast...

Good luck man!

Alex

Not that bad of a job, takes several hours start to finish. :nea: Did the last one with carb's still on the motor, & the choke cable still connected. :yes:

Latest posts