changing coils on gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum, just thought i give you a update. i wired up coils and new spark plug wires to check and see if all is well (havent mounted them yet). it turns over and tries to fire however one of my books says #1 and #2 go to one coil and 3 and 4 on the other. the other book shows it different. need to know what comes out of the right coil and what comes out of the left. then i will give it another try to fire and see what happens. the bottom mount for the coil has a screw that broke off and can't seem to drill it out. went to one of my spare parts bike and the mount is different. that is the kinda stuff i keep running into, but won't give up. worse case i will mount the bike on a trailer and take it to lonehorn cycle in robinson, texas and let him finish.

as your sitting on the bike ...the right coil sould be for 1&2 and the left coil 3&4 ...bit if the wires were hooked up backwards it would be opposite ....take the timing mark cap off and put it on T1 possition ....that would be 1 and 2 piston all the way or front cylinder and see what coil is putting out fire that would be the coil for 1&2 .....with dynas it nice to have a 12volt test light as it will light the light when in the fireing possition .....then the other coil 3&4....the dyna timing instuctions explain this better than me ....but your close to getting it ..... :mrgreen:

where the dyna hooks up to the 1000 wiring in the side cover is where the conection to the coils are ....its been so long ago icant remember a perfect step by step on it ...ihope you get the some meaning out of what im saying ...... :mrgreen:

just went for my walk this morining and realized what slabghost said have to wire the ballast to the coils or will get no power as i found out yesterday. would turn over and fire for a milli second so will punt new wires to the coils. only thing not sure if i hook one wire to one coil and the other to the other coil, or wire the two together at the coil and then hook up the two ends on the bike. (if you know what i am trying to say). will let you know how it goes.

just wire the two wires together rock ....the current gose through the ballist resister as a wire ....so when not used you just wire the wires to each other rock and that sould do it ..... :mrgreen: ....when wired together this eliminates the ballist resister.....but still completes the wiring to the coil ... that it nothing more... :mrgreen:

thought this might be a good time to update what is going on with my change of coils. hooked last two wires togeather and i fired up and runs. am putting on new spark plug caps. waiting for them to arrive. then will bolt everthing down and give it another shot to be sure all is well. then will put air cleaner etc on and false tanks then take it for a run to see all is good. will keep ya'll updated as i progress. also want to thank all those who's input i could not have done without, so thanks again.

ok update for those that have been following my coil change. first before i finished i had to rewire from solinoid to power bike as the wires burnt out. received new spark plug caps and installed them today. fired the wing up and runs good just need to adjust the idle, also need to cut about 2inches of the aircleaner housing intake as it is to long to fit with new coils. will have it done at a machine shop of a friend of mine tomorrow and get it together start it up again and set idle, then take it for a spin. i do want to thank all of you who helped make this job a little better than it could have been without ya'll. again thanks will keep you updated with my progress.

just a quick update to let those who are following my adventures. waiting for machine shop to finish my air cleaner housing. getting it cut to fit in. with new coils i need to shortin the intake nose

new update should be the last. fired up the wing and she is running good showing 14 volts on the battery bug when at idle. need to run seafoam thru carbs as it has been setting for awhile. won't get air cleaner housing til saturday, then will take it for a short run to blow out pipes (if you know what i mean). if anything new will let ya'll know

im glad all the effort went forward in a possitive direction rock ...things like this make this forum priceless in it application and as to it costless sharing for its members :mrgreen:

for all those that have been following my progress on my 75 wing (installing new coils dyna dc1-1) i have taken the wing (old gold) out for a short spin and she is running better then ever. i want to once again thank all those that followed my progress and helped me by giving some very sound advice and information. i could not have done it without ya'll.

Latest posts