Cheapo Electronic Speedo?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is for my cafe'ed CB750. It got XS750 forks + XS650 wheel. Speedo is stock. Due to slight gearing difference, speedo reads 10% or so faster than actual. I looked for cheapo electronic speedo (mainly for bicycles) but naturally they got limited top speed. Does any one know of a model which can go at least 70 MPH and not that expensive?

Thanks.

Actually small size is better (unless the numbers are too small for my aging eye sight.. sigh) because I want to keep stock speedo for the looks.

I googled bicycle ones ($20~30 range) but naturally they are limited to 40~50 MPH. Yes, it wouldn't hurt to visit bicycle shops. I will.

Here is what I use although I have an older one that is wired.

https://tinyurl.com/5scj44y

You set it up according to your wheel circumference and it is very accurate. I have a good, operating speedo but use this in conjunction with it....I found out the my speedo is spot on....I have an 18" Metzler Block K mounted on front wheel....
Brian in NM

bk2valve":ibizudlt said:
Here is what I use although I have an older one that is wired.

https://tinyurl.com/5scj44y

You set it up according to your wheel circumference and it is very accurate. I have a good, operating speedo but use this in conjunction with it....I found out the my speedo is spot on....I have an 18" Metzler Block K mounted on front wheel....
Brian in NM

Wow this looks great. Thanks Brian.
I think I will go with wired one. Not sure wireless is robust enough to the ignition noise.
Do I need to buy the wire kit also?
The web page doesn't say anything about max speed but I guess it can go up to 70mph or higher since you are using it for a motorcycle.
And it can show MPH not only km/h, correct?

Wow this looks great. Thanks Brian.
I think I will go with wired one. Not sure wireless is robust enough to the ignition noise.
Do I need to buy the wire kit also?
The web page doesn't say anything about max speed but I guess it can go up to 70mph or higher since you are using it for a motorcycle.
And it can show MPH not only km/h, correct?

Hi guy,
Yep it does everything but make coffee....and goes as fast as i ever go which is only about 80 once in a great while....I am pretty much a plodder and sightseer any more. Mostly ride the back roads but when I get tired I will hit the superslab. Unlike your leaner rig, my beast gets tiring on the snakey roads...

You can set up the little computer to do what you want and it is a clock as well. The only problem that I can see is that mine does not have a light in it...not too big a problem as I seldom ride at night....I don't see as well at night any more and there are a lot more critters out then. I think the wiring kit comes with the computer....the only wiring is between the pick-up and the computer base....the computer comes off for when you want to leave the bike for a while...very simple setup. It runs on it's own battery that lasts a year or two.

Incidentally, I discovered the bicycle computer from the dirtbike thumper guys who didn't want to spend a lot on fancy rally gear....I used to belong to FSSNOC (Four Stroke Singles Owners Club when I rode thumpers a lot.

Speaking of which,,,I am envious of your XT500. We sold a 78 a couple years back and I wish we hadn't...I had a sweet XT550 I loved too...I built it from an old backyard find that I gave $50 for. Had more in a new CDI unit than the rest of the bike....well except for the Acerbis "supertanker Valdez" fuel tank I put on it...huge and spendy but I could ride forever with it.

Let us know what you come up with....
Brian in NM

Hi Brian,

I just ordered wired one. I don't go that fast or ride at night either. Especially this is a naked cafe bike. I am totally spoiled with GL's full fairing and upright riding position. I can only ride an hour with the clubman bar and rear sets before my neck starts hurting and fingers become numb.

I wish I could ride my XT500 more. I take it to OHVA or fire trails on a trailer only a few times a year. It's mostly in family camping situation so I can only leave the campground for a few hours. I don't have any riding buddies so I can't take risks. Last year, I fell and the bike almost fell off the cliff. I got lucky that the rear wheel just caught the edge of the trail and I could put the bike up by myself. I now carry a manual winch.

I was riding my XT550 on a remote two track one early summer in Alaska and dropped it in a little stream....I got it up and tried to start it and nearly kicked my heart out trying. I realized right then, no one knew where I was, and no one was with me...if I broke a leg or had a heart attack I would die right there...that was the last time I went out in the bush alone...
Brian

There is this GPS+Satellite Phone device (can't remeber the name) with which your friends/family can keep track of where you are. There is an annual fee necessary to get the service and it's around $200 I think. Definately an overkill for once-a-year fire trail guy like me but you are serious adventure rider so I think you can justify the cost.

Not much of an adventure rider any more amigo, mostly in my memories now...
If I make it to Mexico his winter I will either have a couple guys with me or if not, I will be checking in via email pretty often so me bride knows about where I am and Mexico hardly qualifies for "adventure riding" , at least on the road system, and that is where I go any more.

I have actually been one of the contacts for a couple of older, single women in my vandwelling community/family with the SPOT GPS thing...pretty cool...it would check in with the contacts when they told it to and you could go via Google earth to the very spot they were camped...amazing!

Brian in NM

SPOT, that's the one. I was sure you knew it.

> older, single women in my vandwelling community/family

Reminds me of a lady who gave me some gas at a beach camp in Bahia Los Angeles. She was living in a modified school bus camper by herself.

I wish I could join you in Mexico ride.

SPOT, that's the one. I was sure you knew it.

> older, single women in my vandwelling community/family

Reminds me of a lady who gave me some gas at a beach camp in Bahia Los Angeles. She was living in a modified school bus camper by herself.

I wish I could join you in Mexico ride.

There are some really tough, brave women out there who are doing some cool stuff. I try to give support as i am able. I have made some great friends....

My friend Paul and I spent a couple weeks in San Felipe last winter camped with a woman we knew....Mar, a Cuban borne, Puerto Rico raised, woman who teaches some form of psychology to post-graduate students online. She can work anywhere and spent 3 months in a campground in San Felipe. We met up in the eves and tried every restaurant in town at least once and more if they were good....what fun...I am her favorite old phart she says and I am happy for it...
I should add that mar has been three years on the road in her class c camper exploring the entire US and some of Mexico....back in Florida now with her two sons....

Well bro, no time like next winter...I am pretty much a solo biker as I have said but like to camp with folks....meet ya somewhere in Old Mexico? Even Baja...I think I will be there first....
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 110
> Well bro, no time like next winter...I am pretty much a solo biker as I have said but like to camp with folks....meet ya somewhere in Old Mexico? Even Baja...I think I will be there first....

Hmmmmm... really tempting.
I usually end up taking 2~3 week vacation in December otherwise I have to throw them away.
You gonna be on your sidecar rig?
Camping somewhere quiet near San Felipe like Puertecitos.
I want to take my son with me. Not sure what my wife will say.

Can we meet at Tecate and then take route 5 down to San Felipe and camp somewhere? That's doable. Ideally along the dirt road south of Puertecitos but I am not sure my rig is up to that. I have to think about this.

I will stay in touch.

OK cool, sounds like a good idea....I would love to do that and that is the road I want to take....are you aware that the road south of Puertocitos is a major highway now?...as good as any road I have seen in this country....brand new two lane with wide, wide shoulders, believe it or not.......that said it does not go all the way through to Highway one yet...I am not sure how far down it is newly paved but Paul and I drove for a half our and it was still going strong...I know they were working on it this spring when a friend who winters in the mountain villages west of Loreto came up to the states in his van. I hear they want to make it a truck route to the rest of the peninsula...

Anyway...yep, let's stay in touch, I would love to meet you and your son, and I would definitely meet you in the states but would like to go in further east than Tecate. Let's see what develops....if my two friends who have talked of going, decide to come with....then I will have to parley with them about the route too...they will both be on solo bikes, and I will be on my GL1100/Ural...

Who knows, if we talk real loud, maybe some more of the forum folks will join in for a beach camp in Baja? :yahoo:
Brian

toytender01":2ugn7wmu said:
Boy all that talk aboyt the XT 500 and old dirt bikes almost makes me want to reserect my old TT 600 Or my KLR 650 and hit the trails again.... almost :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do you still have them?
You should reserect them or sell them so that some one else can. :hihihi:
Besides KLR650 will make a nice around a town putter, or even a freeway cruiser, no need for fire trails.

Brian, I didn't know the road south of Puertecitos got paved. That was a one beautiful dirt road, it's a pity. Well, at least it's much easier for my leaner rig. What else changed after 17 years?

Yah you are right .I think i might sell the TT as the leg just won't kick starter through any more. The KLR has electric start but maby i will sell it also as i thik at my age i should start riding about a 350 or 400 they would be lighter when I have to pick them up. Besides after working for two weeks in eastern Oregon getting rid of my deceased brother-in-laws projects, I think i will get rid of most of mine and enjoy the proceds from them while i am still alive and cheat the next guy out of them :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :whistling: :hihihi: :hihihi:

Latest posts