Cold Weather Starting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc1richard

Reaction score
I have two bikes I ride year round one is a gl1100 that is down for brakes and carb work right now. The other is a VT700. The VT does not like cold weather. Even in the summer it usually takes a few miles to begin to warm up. In the winter you have to really abuse the starter to get it fired. I usually ride about four miles one way and it takes the whole trip to warm up if it even warms up at all. My question is this...is there a cheap way to preheat the engine safely. It is stored inside an unheated shed. I really dont want to leave a floodlight or heat lamp on all night because of the risk of fire. Any ideas?

"Frank's Red Hot....I put that $#!t on everything..."

Sorry....I been waiting for a perfect time to use that line! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

My '81 usually takes about 5 minutes idling to get up to riding temp. It fires off easy enough, but it just wont take throttle until the gauge moves, then it's fine.
Does the VT have a thermostat? (I'm a dummy on bikes, so I don't have a clue.) Carb or fuel infected? If it's carbed, it may need some choke adjustments to help it fire off easier. If infected, might need to run some infector cleaner thru the tank. Clogged infectors can cause a hard start, and long warm up periods.

It is a carb. All my bikes have a carb. It is pretty cold natured even in the fall and spring. It just seems you have to grind and grind the starter when it is winter. (ex. in the 30's or low 40's) thats why I had thought of maybe some type of engine heater but I think a car type would be to much.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

In cold temps, having the right viscocity oil is imperative. If the oil is too thick and does not flow easily, it will make the engine very hard to start, espsecially with the hydraulic lifters in this engine. How old are your plugs? The VT700 normally should start right up. The choke may not be working correctly or the carbs are gummed. For the carbs, you two easy options; seafoam added to the gas tank or ATF added to the gas (about 1.5oz per gallon). Either will help clean gummed carbs.

New plugs. I change them every year regardless of how good they look. The carbs were cleaned out and checked last year. I usually run a little seafoam in the fuel to keep the carbs clean but my bikes dont sit enough for the fuel to break down. Other Shadow owners I have talked to say they are cold natured . Who knows? The Goldwing starts right up though it just the Shadow that gives the most problem. I saw some pads that were made of silicone with sticky on the back for heating but did not know how well they worked. I run 10w40 casteroil in everything.

to lazy to scroll back, what year VT ? any case, check spark out put, should be big and fat. your using a carb cleaner in your fuel so blow the milage and ride with the choke ON for a LOT to clean the choke circut :read: Brace yourself for a starter rebuild/replace :head bang: Fit a NEW battery, pref a AGM type and if all else fails move to warmer place :smilie_happy:

rc1richard":27erro4x said:
Other Shadow owners I have talked to say they are cold natured . Who knows?

I own an ‘85 VT1100 and it is certainly not cold natured and starts immediately with choke. I too ride year round as long as the roads are clear.

When I first got it, it would only run on one cylinder until fully warmed up. The choke cable runs into a black box and then Y’s with a single cable to each carb and one of those cables was broken. After the cable replacement it always warms quickly and in fact I have to remember to take the choke off before riding otherwise it will not give me deceleration on down shift in curves.

I could be mistaken but I believe the VT700 has enrichment needles instead of a true butterfly choke. If so, you could have dirty or varnished needle valves blocking the enrichment circuit. I used to own a 700 Yamaha Seca, they were well known for being cold natured. Every place I checked said that the jets needed opened up to .019". When I got into it, I found that they were already at .0175" and I couldn’t see another .0015" making any difference but it certainly did. It was a different bike on cold start and needed no warm up period at all.

Good luck with your problem and let us know what you find.

In weather that is near freezing I start wrapping old girlfriend in quilts held in place by a bungie cord. My O-rings failed the first dip below freezing last year, after i started covering her, she started easier.

~O~

Latest posts