conversion of Ole BETSY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ole Betsy is off the operating table. She underwent the poor boy conversion. Still has to go to rehab yet. She needs her wires change over.

As all surgeries the outcome is not as planned. Getting the pulley on was no problem. Getting the radiator in place is a real challange. Must have had it on and off at least 25 times. Finally found it's place about 1 3/4 inches out at the bottom. Pulley belt and both pulleys aligned.

Getting the rad hose at the bottom was a challange. Finnally all lined up so the rad come off one last time to put the gasket sealer on the added extension at the bottom rad hose. Now that gets to be a real mess.

Put the rad on the last and final time. All smooth and belt runs real true. Oh yea I forgot to put the top and bottom pieces ont the top/bottom of the rad. Well they got pretty bent up but they are in their rightful home.

Sat and looked as it all seemed right.

Started to put the crash bars back in place. Well golly geez.... The alt had a paper thin margin next to the frame. And where do you think the crash bar ubolt goes? Right where the alt was. Talk about a real disapointment.

So I sat and thought. and thought. and thought. It still in the same place at this point and time..

Wondered how the lower fairing pieces would look...OH NO putting the rad out 2 inches makes the lower not fit on to the attachment point. and the air goes behind the rad now.

I'm sure rehab will get Ole betsy back on her wheels. Just do not know how or when.

Well that is my story on my conversion at this point and time.

THANK YOU all who have posted and given ideas on this project. Without your imput I would never have dreamed of trying this on Ole betsy.

hmmmm i see what your saying pics would be nice ..to see the problem up close but ...i think you can modify the lowers and the crash bars to work ....i think id leave the lowers and crash bar off awhile ...ride it and make sure all that is sound and doing fine ...if that passes the test good then id start figuring how to modify crash bars and lowers to work ...this is no game stopper just a bobble

With patient therapy I'm sure ole Betsy will recover to a more favorable state to serve you for many more years.

I have learned from experiance that a guy can do just about anything with flat stock steel.. Now go make it work...what did you use for a pulley...? wow we are at the same place now..I left my crashbar on so I knew where it was, I bet that was a bummer...I want to see photo's too... :smilie_happy:

hmmm you guys are getting close to the front wheel with the raditor mods be careful...this is looking realy close here ...maybe its the angle ...there no doutb that moving the radiatoe forward is going into front wheel territory

With the wheel straight I have 2 1/4 inches to the fender.Not the bottm of the fender but the closest part of the fender to the radiator. Should I reconsider this distance?
Thank You for pointing this out as it seems to be very important.

ive never done this mod and im just following along but this is biggest problem witht the mod ...iknow on some of my leaky seal non progressive spring front forks id be in all kinds of trouble here ...i think eveyone sould do anything possible to shorten this distance as the highest priority ...fi that involves moving the fan to other side of radiatoe or what ....

No I've never said move the fan as far right on the radiator as you can.
I DID try that at some point but I wasn't comfortable with it since it seemed to cut down the air flow through the radiator much more than I liked. That's why I went with moving the top as well as the radiator bottom forward so I could keep the fan in it's original location.

Yes be careful how much forward you push the radiator.
I think you will be ok where your at and not bump the fender, that is mostly a problem if you put a fan on the radiator front side.

I moved the rad up and to the right. I used the top original mounting hole. Then I cut the fan shroud so the bottom just hit the rad filler neck. I cut off both the 8 oclock legs on the shroud and fan. I also cut the blades down.

Went for a 300 yard drive tonight. All this time the air hose was under/over/through the bike--never thought to check the tire pressure. To excited to try out the conversion.At least I heard nothing fall off in that short of ride.

Wilcoy, Congrats man, you never said how it was charging now, i would assume it's 14.30 volts or so, you know where that leg is that gets cut off I cut off that whole ring and all, ha ha..too much fudging around on that for me I just made a support on the rear of the fan motor, I fastened a piece of flat stock with a angle on it and put it under the motor and fastend it to the heat shield... Again Congrates to you sir... :Egyptian:

I did not say how it was charging as I did not know. Tonight I started and it read 12.4v started the bike at idle 12.4v rev it up to 3000 rpm 12.4 volts

I thought what the heck is going on???

idled it again revded it again and then I looked at the belt.---NOT moving at all. Thought WHAT???
turned engine off and looked at the radiator.. There laying against the rad was the pulley and bolt.
Turned off the lights and closed the garage door.....DISAPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!!

I really hope the new pulley comes quickly....
Also glad it got colder today and the rest of the week. Would not ride as it only got to 49 here today.

I have spent about $184.00 so far, new alt. pulley, aluminum dowel, 1-1/2" flat stock, 1" flat stock, new belt, junk your pulley, used alt., dremel cut off blades, new drill bits, mis. nuts and bolts and washers, and that's not counted the pulley from Country .. I have no idea how what you used for a spacer that bolt should not have come off like that..Did it damage the radiator?

Yes I agree that sucks big time.
I have about $125.00 into Stella for the conversion.
But I was lucky enough to be able to make my own pulley.
And my wife would say I am somewhat of a collector of useless stuff which worked out for the brackets and such and and a fan off the ninja which I will some day have to replace I guess.
So all I purchased was the alt, belt, relay and some bolts I guess.
Jerry

I got the alternator for about $80.
Bracket stuff I had thanks to my inability to throw anything away.

I moved the entire radiator forward so there I needed some copper fittings and solder, $10

The biggest expense was my time and the pulley.

I was thinking about $200 + but i really don't look at that way :read: !!! My thoughts on expense is ;....... cheaper working on a project on your back then seeing a shrink on your back, getting out of the house for some quiet time RR and last just being able to Tinker and appreciate seeing it work :smilie_happy: :thank_you: !!! All is really priceless,......if you really enjoy Tinkering then you really can't put a Price on it!!!! Later :hi:

Latest posts