Coulda been werse...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
😲 So there I was, ridin home this evenin, mindin my own damn bidness, and the moron in an Escalade in front of me ain't payin attention to what's goin on in front of HIM, and he slams on the brakes. Traffic is runnin about 60-65mph, I got my feets up on the hiway boards, and I grab the front brake while tryin to swerve to keep from runnin slap into the rear of this douchebag(at 60 mph). Front brake GRABS, skiddin the front tire in a full right turn lock. By then I have my feets down, but the bike is already leanin, scrapin pavement on the floorboards to the right, and I'm headed into the lane to the right of me, whether I like it or not. Luckily, the Ford truck that WAS in that lane had just moved into the lane to his right, or he would have run over the top of me. Never went down, tho...got off the brake quick enough to come out of the skid, and the bike magically uprighted itself perfectly in the lane. and I throttled it up enough to keep speed, and down the road I went, unscathed. Well...might have been a wee bit of :poop: exhausted, but we'll not get into that. 🤫 Damn lucky I dint do a flyover...or werst.
This was prolly the closest I've come to really bein maggot meat on a bike. Someone/thing is definitely lookin out for me...
So...how wuz YOUR day? :cool:

Glad you could tell the story now.
Habit: Don't ride behind vehicles that are so big/tall that you can't see in front of them. You can't just look at the car in front of you. You need to be seeing what's going on 10 cars ahead of that one. Brake lights, signals, texting weavers, etc....

Geez. I'm glad you're ok. That's terrifying.

The IQ quotient on US roadways as been in a steep decline over the years. People just don't know how to drive and furthermore don't care. Glad to hear you survived.

Joel been riding a long time ..what you blame is the traffic on the roads ...the fact the government is allowing millions of illegals into the country especially in Texas where Joel lives ...there many problems introduced in allowing the foreign DC GOVERMENT to steal the election from the vote of the American people will and install a dictator FJB ....CAUSES AMERICANS dangers on all kinds of ways ...in Fla.the traffic so bad road rage 1/2 the time is in Spanish ...to me the biggest threat is from behind where people think the road is a race track of ignorENCE...caused by illegal GOVERMENT of traitors ...Joel bike skills are second to nobody

in 2016 a similar thing happened to me. But, I did go down - minor damage to me and the bike. I was looking over my right shoulder for an opening in the right lane in preparation to merging from the center lane on I40 downtown Knoxville rush hour. When I looked back to the front, the SUV in front had bowed up (a faint memory of a black car cutting them off) and I grabbed too much brake. Bike touched on both side skid bars and took itself off an exit to lay down. I rolled and rolled. Luckily the pickup behind me saw it evolve and avoided me. I give MUCH more following distance ever since.

My only major motorcycle accident occurred in the 1980's when a gray haired lady in a tan Ford Fairmont (these details remain frozen in my memory) pulled out of a bank driveway without looking straight to the freeway ramp across the access road then stopped cold in front of my GPz750. Brakes locked I went down on the right and went sliding on the pavement watching the bike hit a curb and somersault then my right knee impacted the same curb and I went rolling onto grass landscaping. My bike was totalled, right patella cracked and requiring surgery.

A cop and insurance adjuster would say it was my fault for "failure to maintain a safe speed" or some horseshit as such conclusions are easy to annotate and don't require questioning the driving ability of anyone else.

in 2016 a similar thing happened to me. But, I did go down - minor damage to me and the bike. I was looking over my right shoulder for an opening in the right lane in preparation to merging from the center lane on I40 downtown Knoxville rush hour. When I looked back to the front, the SUV in front had bowed up (a faint memory of a black car cutting them off) and I grabbed too much brake. Bike touched on both side skid bars and took itself off an exit to lay down. I rolled and rolled. Luckily the pickup behind me saw it evolve and avoided me. I give MUCH more following distance ever since.
I have discovered since moving to Kingsport, TN that I40 in Knoxville can be a hazard almost any time of the day.

Joel been riding a long time ..what you blame is the traffic on the roads ...the fact the government is allowing millions of illegals into the country especially in Texas where Joel lives ...there many problems introduced in allowing the foreign DC GOVERMENT to steal the election from the vote of the American people will and install a dictator FJB ....CAUSES AMERICANS dangers on all kinds of ways ...in Fla.the traffic so bad road rage 1/2 the time is in Spanish ...to me the biggest threat is from behind where people think the road is a race track of ignorENCE...caused by illegal GOVERMENT of traitors ...Joel bike skills are second to nobody
Yep and the illegals don't have anything happen to them no penalty, but the law bidding citizen is punished. All these bastard illegals need immediately deported and if they try to come back through illegally they should be strung up for terrorism

I have discovered since moving to Kingsport, TN that I40 in Knoxville can be a hazard almost any time of the day.
This is exactly why I avoid the interstates as much as possible. I travel on two lane secondary roads whenever possible. There is less traffic, better resaurants, small towns, nice people, and all of the heavy traffic and people in a hurry are on the big roads. We just got back from 1 1/2 days of riding 2 up on the hilly, twisty roads of southern OH. Great roads, beautiful scenery, and friendly people. The old GL1100i ran like a champ.

Here's a photo of her at the Big Muskie Bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_20240513_140339012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_140339012_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0