Crimp, solder, waterproof butt and terminal connectors

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Debating the relative merits of crimp, solder, and wire nuts led me to search the Intertoobs for options. Look what I found! https://www.cableorganizer.com/multilink-butt-splices/# You crimp them then heat to shrink the tubing and seal it and at the same time melt the low temp solder. It's the ultimate splice. See the video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Skf3mkwW20Y[/video]

Inner barrel is serrated to get a better grip on wires and provide extra crimp strength
Solder is pre-measured so just the right amount for a high quality connection and greater tensile strength
Crimp connector has a brazed and zippered seam provides a secure mechanical connection
Flux coating to clean metal surfaces
Solder melts at a low temperature to ease installation
Adhesive-lined polyolefin seals the connection to make it watertight and durable as well as corrosion resistant
Each connector is color-coded and printed with the wire AWG to make sizes easily identifiable

They aren't cheap. Most of us never need more than a few and these kits are $40-ish. Seems steep for when we only need 3 or 4. Maybe we buy a kit and split it up? Would folks pay maybe $8 for 6? I think I would.

That is pretty steep for a butt splice but not so bad for a ring terminal or male/female connectors. Pep Boys has good quality connectors, they are pricey. I think more than that.

I bought some of those style splices years ago for possible quick fixes in harsh environments but rarely used them due to the cost. I still prefer to solder as many joints as possible and buy my regulat heat shrink in 100 meter rolls ( smaller sizes) and have some lengths of epoxy filled heat shrink for really tough jobs

I went shopping for one of those heat shrink kits and had some sticker shock. It's not exactly cheap either. These crimp-solder splices eliminate that AND the pain you have when you get it nicely soldered then see you forgot to put the heat shrink on. :rant:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153701#p153701:2kpaiw7y said:
chuck c » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:41 am[/url]":2kpaiw7y]
I went shopping for one of those heat shrink kits and had some sticker shock. It's not exactly cheap either. These crimp-solder splices eliminate that AND the pain you have when you get it nicely soldered then see you forgot to put the heat shrink on. :rant:
Just unsolder and do over with heatshrink :doh:
I recommend a good soldering iron, I have been using portasol brand gas soldering irons for 25 years now and unfortunately my favourite model is hard to get. I just paid $20 each for new tips but you wouldn't believe the difference it has made to my soldering quality. I thought my crappy joint penetration was because of old age and failing eye sight but it turns out I just wasn't getting enough heat :yes:

Phillips has made some really decent connections that you can apply about any heat source to and it solders and does the shrink insulation. Then they came out with one you could crimp, solder either or and it had "shrink" on it too. I found them very useful, but to those who had to buy them very expensive. The 14g version handles a lot of sizes though. A bic lighter or heat gun worked just fine, but i used propane torches and even exhaust heat to make them work too. I think solder is always best, but many times impractical. The A and P guys still don't go for solder.