Damaged Center Stand

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I'm glad I found it before the engine went back in, but I still have to transport the rolling frame to his house where the welder is setup.

welder.gif
:builder:

Finally got a chance to take some pics of the hole. Here is the area before the cross bar is replaced:

image.php

As I think you can see, upon first look it sure seemed OK except for the obvious rust on the cross over tube and centerstand.

Here is after I found the hole:

image.php

image.php

image.php

I cannot do anything about it at the moment time wise, but I am open to opinions on the best way to repair this.

What I find odd is the rust hole is at the top of the tube. The bottom of the tube is intact and holding up to hammering.

I was thinking of using a cutoff saw to cut back the bracket of the foot peg and bad tubing and trying to fit a new section of pipe (1/2 round) under the foot peg mount.

Are your concerns the internal hole, the external hole, or both?

Weld that sucker up and call it good! It you really want to take it further, add a gusset but I think that would be over-kill.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120751#p120751:1iwsylb8 said:
Steve83 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:28 pm[/url]":1iwsylb8]
Ya want me to cut off and send you this section from the '83 frame?
:oops: :oops: I think you already sent me that section Steve.....

image.php

When I spoke to the welder, he was under the opinion it was going to be easier for him to cut the cross tube out of the new section you had sent to me and weld it in into the frame for alignment of the tube.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120750#p120750:1l6vzkzl said:
brianinpa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:27 pm[/url]":1l6vzkzl]
Are your concerns the internal hole, the external hole, or both?

Weld that sucker up and call it good! It you really want to take it further, add a gusset but I think that would be over-kill.
Both Brian. I can reach in and weld the hole, but it doesn't look like there is much good metal on the inside tube.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120759#p120759:d777q729 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:02 pm[/url]":d777q729]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120751#p120751:d777q729 said:
Steve83 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:28 pm[/url]":d777q729]
Ya want me to cut off and send you this section from the '83 frame?
:oops: :oops: I think you already sent me that section Steve.....

image.php

When I spoke to the welder, he was under the opinion it was going to be easier for him to cut the cross tube out of the new section you had sent to me and weld it in into the frame for alignment of the tube.
Ooh...well...that's different. Never mind!

I was able to get in a bit closer and beat the daylights out of the tube and surrounding area and the hole is limited to the frame tube inside. I hacked at the edges of the hole to get to good steel and the hole is now about 1/2" around. No more rust falling out and I think I have enough room now to get a piece of steel in there and make it solid again.

Welding is completed!! (AGAIN!) :party: :yahoo: :yes: :Egyptian:

What a job that was! :shock:

I cleaned up the hole, ground down the surrounding area to good steel, took Dan's suggestion and popped a 3/8" bolt into the hole with the head sticking out and started welding. Needless to say, I blew more holes initially and the lower end of the foundation for the foot peg about disappeared!

Turned down the heat a bit and got that sucker welded. One last pass to tie in the new welds to the underside and BAM!!!!! NEW HOLE!!!!!!!! :head bang: :sensored: :cheeky: :crying:

The tube forward of the centerstand opened up. Tap vigorously with a chipping hammer and then ball peen hammer and I now have a new 3/4" x 1/2" slot in the tube!

Grind out for a good look. Found a lawn mower blade of almost the same shape as the tube with the bend. Chop up the blade, tack one side, heat it up and pound the shape to conform to the frame. WELD.....WELD.....WELD

Looks good and no more holes! Grind the welds to check penetration and smooth out the surface and I am happy with the results! After I get the area dressed up, I'll get some pics.

(Man this was a long time comin!!)

Latest posts