Darkside gl 1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read through the entire thread and that seems easy enough esp since i have an old school manual lathe (picked it up from the amish last yr) could probably know that out in 15-20 mins .... i wish there was someway to knowthe depth he ground it down that would make life easy on this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

For me, I kept grinding until the bead would seat with just dish detergent. Total amount that I removed was less than 1/8" beyond the high ridge. Once the ridge was removed I took it slow and ground a chamfer in to help seat the bead.

So basically just trim down the ridge and smooth it out ?..... also how much clearance do you have and what do you think of my tire find?

On all technical points the tire will only be 1/4 inch closer than yours

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175043#p175043:2mjr7bpr said:
nwhittemore07885 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:43 pm[/url]":2mjr7bpr]
So basically just trim down the ridge and smooth it out ?..... also how much clearance do you have and what do you think of my tire find?

Well it is a little more than "just trim down the ridge and smooth it out." Once I had the ridge removed, it didn't take long to see that there was a LOT of material under that ridge so I felt relatively safe removing more than just the rim. That area is the thickest part of the wheels casting.

I got pretty aggressive with it by the time I was finished and putting the chamfer in. I wish I had taken an "after" picture, but once I had the bead seated, well I just didn't have any real desire to take the tire off of the wheel again for a picture. When I change the tire the next time, I will post a picture. :BigGrin:

I will take a few pictures to show how much clearance I have in a 1200 frame.

Here are a couple of shots to show the clearance at the swingarm.

20160618_104014.jpg

20160618_104051.jpg

Actual distance...

Flat surface of tire to swingarm - 15/16"
Left side of tire - 1 1/2"
Right side - 1/2"

The right side is the tightest, but since that is the drive shaft side, that is not moving.

Awesome the more i learn the better i like this idea

You won't regret going to the dark side, the good thing is that if you don't like it you can always revert to an MC tire. Since the PVT will last longer than an MC tire you will have to consciously do maintenance on the drive line.

Great pictures. Were you able to push the tire in from the back, or did you have the rear of the bike in the air and raise the tire into place?

Cheers

I was able to push it in from the rear, but I have a Standard. Since then, I have put a set of Interstate rear crash guards on, so the next time I take it off will be an experience.

Im riding an aspencade so i basically have to take it apart to change a rear tire

Yea but she's pretty and as comfortable as my couch

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175322#p175322:2at4m1lx said:
nwhittemore07885 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:58 pm[/url]":2at4m1lx]
I wouldnt know never got over 7k out of one

And that is the reason that I went to the Darkside...