Demise of the older Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about this for a while. With my friend passing away and others we know and correspond with, keeping these older bikes going is becoming a specialty.

Having the space to work on these bikes when things happen, the cost of parts, parts obsolescence, skill set required to troubleshoot issues, and peer pressure all adds up to these bikes slowly going to the bone yard.

You read articles on line regarding the newer bikes, what is a good fit for touring, with some off road capability, comfort, fuel economy, and the fact that we are all getting older, and you are confronted with the adventure style motorcycle. Had one of these bikes in front of me last year, two up riding and I watched the bike as it navigated the road. The rear suspension seemed to soak up the road bumps without an issue. The 800 Triumph Tiger I rode did exactly the same. Hard to argue which bike is better suited for a day ride and/or touring bike.

The cost of these adventure style bikes and what these will do compares nicely to the newer, larger, more expensive touring bikes. Weight is an issue for us older fellows. I have no issue right now, but have friends who are my age who do. This is not to say that in the future I won't have issues. Starting to think of an add on such as the Landing Gear.

I tend to think of us like the Warren Buffet's of the world and his cronies, stay in the same place forever, drive the same vehicles forever because why change/fix something that works.

I believe we all come to a day where wrenching is no longer fun, takes a lot of time, and we would just rather be able to jump on our bikes, hit the road, go touring or for a day ride, come back, park the beast and go have a coffee. The next morning, repeat in kind. I know I will hit this point in time, not soon, but it will happen.

There will always be a need for the cruising "Cadillac"; however, what these bikes will look like in the future may surprise a lot of us.

Just musing about the future and how it will affect me. This will be like the older cars that I had. Nice memories, and appreciate these when they are out in the coffee shop parking lots on sunny Sunday afternoons in the summer.

Cheers

I believe we all come to a day ......we would just rather be able to jump on our bikes, hit the road, go touring or for a day ride, come back, park the beast and go have a coffee. The next morning, repeat in kind.

I have been able to do that with the "Slug" for quite some time now. Any work I perform on the bike is just for fun and mostly not needed. BUT, I have hit the point where my physical condition is preventing me from riding (at least safely).

20% loss of use of my right arm and leg. It has been determined to be spinal and not neural so that is a relief. But it still hurts to ride and I am a bit afraid to use my right leg to hold up the old girl at a stop.

Doing a bit of wrenching is good for my spirit. Can be a bit frustrating at times but also very rewarding. I hope to carry on with the old bikes for quite a while yet......

I can relate to this post, having just sold my 1976 GL1000 after 22 years of ownership. It has taken a lot of work over the years to keep it running well but for me, after 49 years in the motor trade my back and hands are not what they used to be , and I was just not using it enough anymore, especially after purchasing my NC700s, which is lighter, handles and stops better, starts easier and runs well when cold, and uses a lot less fuel, and by today’s standards, is a relatively simple machine to maintain. My trusty Wing gave me much pleasure over the years, and while it was sad to see it go, the new owner is very happy with it. Parts availability can be a problem here but it sho7ldnt be a problem to the new owner as it won’t be a daily driver for him.
I enjoy reading the posts here and I will continue to follow them, but for me, it doesn’t matter what you ride, the wind in your face is the same

Cheers. Ian

I have to add my 2 cents worth about this. I sold my gl1000 to buy the Valkyrie and enjoyed both a lot. The day came when I didn't feel well handling the Valk. My legs aren't what they used to be and it was getting to be uncomfortable handling all the weight at very slow speeds and I wasn't strong enough to stop the bike from falling over. I ended up selling the Valk and buying an almost new CB-1100 that is about 300 lbs lighter. It works great for me and handles very well. It also looks like a real bike with no need for Tupperware. There are photos in my gallery.

Latest posts