Double Darkside GL1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210706#p210706:2dlly24g said:
OldCrow » 21 minutes ago[/url]":2dlly24g]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210685#p210685:2dlly24g said:
Ansimp » Yesterday- 17:12[/url]":2dlly24g]
To say that we Motorcyclists are a varied bunch is an understatement. A proud DarkSider posted this picture of his 40K mile tire! :doh:
:

:shock: I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff, just pain stupid, asking for a Darwin award. Even if there were some kind of racing slick, it has no place on the road where there might actually be, wait for it... rain water!

I agree with that... but sadly enough, every time I drive through Atlanta, I see cars with tires just like that, and each time it rains, there's accidents galore. Stupid is, as stupid does... and I've seen guys running motorcycle tires on the road that were MADE with no tread... it isn't exclusive.

And there very well may be more to the story... it may have gotten down to the wear bars and recieved an EJ Potter Salute... a 'retirement rotation' as part of the 40k-mile celebration.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210709#p210709:2rkxon0p said:
DaveKamp » 38 minutes ago[/url]":2rkxon0p]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210706#p210706:2rkxon0p said:
OldCrow » 21 minutes ago[/url]":2rkxon0p]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210685#p210685:2rkxon0p said:
Ansimp » Yesterday- 17:12[/url]":2rkxon0p]
To say that we Motorcyclists are a varied bunch is an understatement. A proud DarkSider posted this picture of his 40K mile tire! :doh:
:

:shock: I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff, just pain stupid, asking for a Darwin award. Even if there were some kind of racing slick, it has no place on the road where there might actually be, wait for it... rain water!

I agree with that... but sadly enough, every time I drive through Atlanta, I see cars with tires just like that, and each time it rains, there's accidents galore. Stupid is, as stupid does... and I've seen guys running motorcycle tires on the road that were MADE with no tread... it isn't exclusive.

And there very well may be more to the story... it may have gotten down to the wear bars and recieved an EJ Potter Salute... a 'retirement rotation' as part of the 40k-mile celebration.

Wow, does Georgia not have a yearly vehicle safety inspection? I really don't care what stupid people do, as long as they don't endanger me or mine. Generally speaking only the rider and passenger are at risk on a bike.

As for guys running MC slicks, they are not DOT street legal that's for damn sure but then if no inspections.. well stupid is as stupid does. Also a 20 year old male's prefrontal cortex is not fully developed. Combine that with high testosterone and it makes a target rich environment for Darwin Award participants .

That EJ Potter is a purpose built drag bike, but it had an appropriate name. It would make no more sense to ride that on the street then a F1 car. But then stupi...........

iQ and stupid is no reason at all to enforce freedom robbing costly laws and inspection period ...most states dropped all the bullshit inspection cause it just doesn’t do much but cost and harass people

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210676#p210676:lbbjzanj said:
OldCrow » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm[/url]":lbbjzanj]
I also wonder how someone's insurance will react when the adjuster notices a car tire on the bike? I'm sure insurance companies would never look for an excuse not to pay a claim, after all they are all staffed by angles just wanting to get us healed and back on the road.

Humm... what would the police would say after an accident reconstruction when they see that car tire? Just wondering :headscratch:

The first thing that is looked at is the tire... is it DOT approved? If it is, fine, if it isn't... well then there is a problem. Last time I looked, car tires are DOT approved. Currently there are ZERO laws that state a MT tire must be used on a motorcycle and a CT must be used on a car. I guess that's why MT are starting to be seen on car tires. Numerous darkside riders that have been involved in accidents report and confirm that claims have not been denied nor tickets issued

Depending on which MT's you have, it may be rated for approximately 600 pounds. The CT I have is rated for 1200 pounds and the MT I have on the front is rated for over 800 pounds. Obviously with the Standard I will never exceed any of these weights, but with the Interstate, if I am loaded down with gear, riding two up and pulling the trailer, I could quickly exceed the capacity's of the MT's... not going to happen with the CT.

>...Depending on which MT's you have, it may be rated for approximately 600 pounds. The CT I have is rated for 1200 pounds and the MT I have on the front is rated for over 800 pounds. Obviously with the Standard I will never exceed any of these weights, but with the Interstate, if I am loaded down with gear, riding two up and pulling the trailer, I could quickly exceed the capacity's of the MT's... not going to happen with the CT.

---And an important thing to note here, is that the load rating of a tire isn't about tread life, it's about safe carrying capacity under continuous duty loading.

That means: Temperature... The tire's ability to carry a load with less internal friction... The tire's ability to shed heat... the rubber's ability to tolerate elevated temperature and not be weakened in it's grip of the carcass.

The car tire is designed to handle that loading at a higher level than the MC tire. One could put a heavy truck tire on a light truck... my 1-ton delivery van has 19.5 heavy tires, but it was available with light truck tires... the benefit is longer tire life and substantially better durability. The cost is ride quality (the 19.5's are almost twice the weight of an LT) and accordant handling (lots more inertia on EVERY axis...).

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210709#p210709 said:

Counter-intuitively, there's plenty of bicycle tires with no tread, but that's because typical bicycle tires run at a pressure where they won't hydroplane at any probable speed a bicycle will reach.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210733#p210733:2pqjw1tr said:
joedrum » Today, 1:40 pm[/url]":2pqjw1tr]
Except downhill ...lol

Would have to be a heck of a downhill. I am told by people who are much more learned than me that tire pressure and speed are factors in hydroplaning - higher pressure tires need more speed to hydroplane. All the slick or nearly slick bicycle tires I have use run around 80 PSI, and are about an inch wide. Even 35 mph downhill in the rain, I've never hydroplaned.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210728#p210728:22ob25no said:
saganaga » Today, 1:08 pm[/url]":22ob25no]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210709#p210709 said:

Counter-intuitively, there's plenty of bicycle tires with no tread, but that's because typical bicycle tires run at a pressure where they won't hydroplane at any probable speed a bicycle will reach.

I'm running 700-23C's on my Synapse, at 150psi, but I'm 6ft tall and 210lbs. There's less than half that on either tire... anyone regularly on a waterski can tell you with experience and confidence how much surface area and how much speed will be required to hydroplane at a given road weight and a modern road bike WILL NOT get there... and I've had my Synapse in excess of 70mph...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210739#p210739:31j9jzxc said:
joedrum » Today, 4:29 pm[/url]":31j9jzxc]
Me either thank god ...lol problem in hills I’ve lived on was brake explosion

Disk brakes? I only ask because I've read some good criticisms on the design of disk brakes on road bikes, and one of those criticisms is that disk brakes may have a higher chance of brake fade.

url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210749#p210749":31j9jzxc said:
I'm running 700-23C's on my Synapse, at 150psi, but I'm 6ft tall and 210lbs. There's less than half that on either tire... anyone regularly on a waterski can tell you with experience and confidence how much surface area and how much speed will be required to hydroplane at a given road weight and a modern road bike WILL NOT get there... and I've had my Synapse in excess of 70mph...

What brand? I've been fond of Continental Gatorskins, which are spendy, but grippy. Also don't last very long - I think I get 2,000 miles out of them, more or less.

I was talking bicycle brakes and steep downhills ....where I use to live ...I could go dam near two miles and never have to peddle ...but it was quite curvy and dangerous ...when brakes went out best move was to wreck yourself on the mountain side to prevent going over the cliff side ...lol

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210750#p210750 said:
saganaga » What brand? I've been fond of Continental Gatorskins, which are spendy, but grippy. Also don't last very long - I think I get 2,000 miles out of them, more or less.

Yep. My Synapse's original wheelset came with Mavic Yskon in 23C with it's Ultegra kit, I've got a set of wheels with Dura-Ace hubs on it right now. Prior to the Synapse, my primary road frame was a '79 Paramount, Campy Super Record group with Mavic 700C rims, I ran Conti Super Sport 25Cs on it for oh... decades.

In '83, I was cited for 74mph in a 55 zone, while riding a Fuji Touring Series 5 down Highway 52 into Guttenberg, Iowa. 48/36 hole Wolber clincher rims with Phil Wood hubs and a 54/13 on 175mm arms... bag on the rear rack, no panniers. Clips and straps, cheap sunglasses, touring shorts and a Bell Biker II helmet. The ticket was thrown out for several reasons, first being that it was a 'motor vehicle regulation' (not powered), I did not have a driver's license to revoke (I was 15), and the judge just plain-old-didn't-believe that a kid on a bicycle could do that... the radar 'must have' gotten 'something else'.

My best defense (that I didn't have to use) was that my Cateye Solar only indicated 72mph... :smilie_happy:

I don't have any bicycles with disk brakes... mine are 'old fashioned'. I've got Ultegra side-pulls on my Synapse... the Paramount has Campy Record, and the Series 5 (yeah, I still have it) has factory SunTour cantelevers with Mathauser pads...
...And if THAT was a blast-from-the-past... my high-school Road Race frame (yeah, I still have it) is a shortened-chainsay Columbus-tube Schwinn Voyageur SP with Modolo Professionals and sintered-iron pads, with 46/56 chainrings and a 12-16 'corncob' 5-speed... that was before gearing restrictions in Junior Men's...

Oh my, how I digress...

Disk brakes have one really huge advantage... temperature. Back in the days when I raced against guys riding Ciocc, Eddie Mercx and 3Renshos, those guys ran sew-ups on 700C rims. A 'sew up', is a tire-tube combination that is totally encased... literally 'sewed shut'... and held onto the rim by virtue of stretch tension and adhesive. The advantages of sew-ups, at least for racing, were weight, weight, weight, and ride. The rim of a sew-up had no 'clincher' flange, so it weighed about half what a clincher rim of same vintage did. There was no wire (or later, kevelar) bead in the rim, and the inner tube was damned-near prophylactic. The rubber TUBE in my 'clincher' tire was almost as heavy as the entire 'sew up' assembly. IIRC, the popular 'sew ups' were Clement, Vittoria, and Montello... and yes, they DID ride nice, and they certainly did weigh a whole lot less. They seemed like feathers compared to the Weinmann Concaves I rode on. Of course, a sew-up, when pre-prepared with glue, was pretty fast to do an install, and because of the way the rim profile and tire sat... if you had a flat, it would generally stay put long enough for you to get to a 'good spot' (i.e. long enough for your team 'domestique' to meet you) for a tire change... important for an unsupported road race, but nowdays, a flat just means your support crew swaps the whole wheel in seconds.

{it was a 'traditional' tactic for teams to have riders called 'domestiques', who's purpose was to provide support to their team's primary competetors with anything from food and water, to a spare wheel/tire assembly when a flat occurred. The Domestique would pull off their OWN wheel, stick it on the primary rider's cycle, and send them on, then repair the damaged tire, and 'catch up' with the pack afterwards. It was normal for a 'domestique' to be selected that had similar physical proportions, and even set up his own bicycle to match the primary competetors, so they could simply switch the whole bicycle, too...}

But anyway, the WORST... and I mean WORST thing that you could ever have happen with a sew-up tire... was to have it roll off the rim. When that happened, you'd 1) be rolling on a paved road on bare metal (soft aluminum, btw, and damned little of it), and... there'd be a loose tire flopping around your spokes, hub, and fork or chainstays. Aside from not being properly mounted or glued, the other reasons for rolling a tire off the rim, was overinflation, underinflation, and having the GLUE soften up on you.

Overinflation and soft glue happened because the tire/rim got too hot.

The tire/rim get hot when you use the brakes alot.

See, the bicycle tire has VERY little air volume, and in proportion to it's ground contact area, a considerably high load. A car tire, at 30psi, presents very little contact pressure to the road. A bicycle tire at 150psi, though, presents LOTS when a 200lb rider is on it... and there's not much air in that tire holding that load... the tire can get rather warm on sunny asphalt, but when you're going down a mountain, those brakes will get that rim HOT in a big hurry, and when the rim gets hot, the air in the tire is trying to expand, and eventually, SOMETHING has to give.

A disk brake doesn't do that... and THAT is the biggest advantage. On fat-tire bikes, it has other advantages... packaging space, mud/water protection and stuff.

Ouch. I need an aspirin. Enjoying the discussion, guys. Just not smart enough to offer anything noteworthy...

...except I will add that I fully intend to darkside my Valk when this latest Avon looks like the above 40k specimen.

Took the bike for a good ride today and I've finally worn all the slime and paint off the front tire. It's amazing how a new front tire make the bike respond. Getting to this point was a little sketchy as every turn it felt like the front wanted to wash out but that was just the slippery mess that was on the tire. I spent some time on a few twisty back roads, now I'm ready to try a few more.

I've noted that ever since about oh... 1993 or so, every new motorcycle tire I've had felt 'lubricated' for the first hundred or so miles. Dunno if it was the rubber compound, or some sort of storage compound on 'em, they took a while to 'clear up'. A dry concrete parking lot, doing some figure-8s around helped substantially.