Double Darkside GL1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the 165/80R-15 on the rear of my GoldWings for about 13,000 miles now and there is still a lot of wear left in it. The rear tire on my Standard was made in 2007, so it was time to replace it. Since I have the 87 torn apart doing some work, I decided to put the car tire from the 87 onto the 84. I also needed to replace the front tire, so I went with the Shinko 777 130/90-16 rear tire mounted on the front.

image.php

If I get equivalent mileage from the rear tire on the front, I expect to get 18,000 miles out of this $89.00 tire.

If you look at rear and front MC tires you will notice the direction of rotation is the opposite with the same tread patterns.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210615#p210615:o9ue1ude said:
Ansimp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm[/url]":eek:9ue1ude]
If you look at rear and front MC tires you will notice the direction of rotation is the opposite with the same tread patterns.

Ok I’m still in the dark here :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210616#p210616:qx3rqsed said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am[/url]":qx3rqsed]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210615#p210615:qx3rqsed said:
Ansimp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm[/url]":qx3rqsed]

Motorcycle tires are directional as per most performance tires, they perform their best when mounted in the correct direction. On cars the tread patterns all go the same way where on Motorcycles the front and rear tread patterns are directionally opposite.

Hmmm big choice here ...I’m going to have tp ponder this while I wait to get the tire ...I had the same tire Brian had on his bike and first time front tire ever wore out first ...up against the car tire on rear

I run the rear tire on the front and the dark side on the rear of my other 1985; haven’t had an issue yet. Thinking about leaving the 1985 interstate that’s in pieces in my garage currently with the rear tire up front and going to a different sized MC tire for the rear just because. I have a buddy who is a rep for Yoko and swears by the Shinko’s but also said there is a new rubber blend coming out in the next few months with a different Shinko model but wouldn’t go into specifics ha! Guess we shall see
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210618#p210618:1x077z9p said:
Ansimp » June 30th, 2019, 9:20 pm[/url]":1x077z9p]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210616#p210616:1x077z9p said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am[/url]":1x077z9p]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210615#p210615:1x077z9p said:
Ansimp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm[/url]":1x077z9p]

Motorcycle tires are directional as per most performance tires, they perform their best when mounted in the correct direction. On cars the tread patterns all go the same way where on Motorcycles the front and rear tread patterns are directionally opposite.
Took my sub-conscience half a day to work out why this was. I think that the rear tire's main job is pushing the bike and the front tire's main job is stopping the bike. Think of stopping as pushing in the other direction. :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210655#p210655:33ld0brv said:
D-50Dave » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:37 pm[/url]":33ld0brv]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210618#p210618:33ld0brv said:
Ansimp » June 30th, 2019, 9:20 pm[/url]":33ld0brv]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210616#p210616:33ld0brv said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am[/url]":33ld0brv]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210615#p210615:33ld0brv said:
Ansimp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm[/url]":33ld0brv]

Took my sub-conscience half a day to work out why this was. I think that the rear tire's main job is pushing the bike and the front tire's main job is stopping the bike. Think of stopping as pushing in the other direction. :headscratch:
:good:

Yes... Dave is right. The rear tire's treat is optimized for accelleration. Remember, when you're a motorcycle, applying the throttle plants your rear tire, and lifts the front. Braking plants your front tire, and lifts your rear.

The tread profile and carcass are designed to respond to the thrust loads of respective position. Running the rear tire backwards makes the braking thrust equivocate what it would have been subjected to under accelleration.

I do love how shade tree mechanics KOWN better what tire to use and how to place them on our bikes, than thousands of Engineers and Scientists who have spent lifetimes developing the safest, best performing tires for our motorcycles.

I ride rain or shine and try to avoid ice and snow but not always successfully. I for one will always use the CORRECT motorcycles tires on my motorcycles. Traction, straight up or cornering, is not a place I'm going to cheap out.

I also wonder how someone's insurance will react when the adjuster notices a car tire on the bike? I'm sure insurance companies would never look for an excuse not to pay a claim, after all they are all staffed by angles just wanting to get us healed and back on the road.

Humm... what would the police would say after an accident reconstruction when they see that car tire? Just wondering :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210676#p210676:9kp6939b said:
OldCrow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:45 am[/url]":9kp6939b]
I do love how shade tree mechanics KOWN better what tire to use and how to place them on our bikes, than thousands of Engineers and Scientists who have spent lifetimes developing the safest, best performing tires for our motorcycles.

I ride rain or shine and try to avoid ice and snow but not always successfully. I for one will always use the CORRECT motorcycles tires on my motorcycles. Traction, straight up or cornering, is not a place I'm going to cheap out.

I also wonder how someone's insurance will react when the adjuster notices a car tire on the bike? I'm sure insurance companies would never look for an excuse not to pay a claim, after all they are all staffed by angles just wanting to get us healed and back on the road.

Humm... what would the police would say after an accident reconstruction when they see that car tire? Just wondering :headscratch:
I here what you are saying! I had to try Darksiding on the rear of my Valkyrie just so that I could have an objective opinion. I posted a picture of where I had managed to get onto the sidewall ( experienced DS said I could not do that ) while riding up Tambourine Mt with Aussiegold. Prior to going DS I had never scraped a peg on Val which I did manage with my new car tire on that ride. I understand the cost benefits but I know in my heart that my car tire is not the best performance tire for my motorcycle. That being said it was fantastic going up my Dreaded Driveway at night in the rain on a slippery clay surface ( never would of made it up on my MC tire). It is great for commuting and slow speed riding but! :whistling:
I hope to do a trip similar to last year which should give me a more realistic back to back evaluation of the differences/advantages between them.

Injust don’t give a dam about what paper think ...I’ve got smart hands and eyes ...and when it comes to oldwings tires made for them suck ...no mileage no stopping ...simply no count period ...people got by thousands of yrs before the first paper tiger was ever made ...in fact most inventions were done by regular people not paper tigers ...to each there own ...this shade tree machanical has one of the fastest oldwings on the planet ...I do my own thinking ...only laws force me to do differently ...they have to make laws so the paper tigers have a place to go and work ..that’s another story

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210676#p210676:xegsfhic said:
OldCrow » Today, 3:45 pm[/url]":xegsfhic]

While I agree with this, and have never even considered running a car tire on a motorcycle, I can't get that worked up about it. The additional risk is mostly faced by the person who decides to darkside. That's their decision. Anyways, there's far riskier behavior that motorcyclists do every day.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210676#p210676:325qhfdz said:
OldCrow » Today, 3:45 pm[/url]":325qhfdz]
I do love how shade tree mechanics KOWN better what tire to use and how to place them on our bikes, than thousands of Engineers and Scientists who have spent lifetimes developing the safest, best performing tires for our motorcycles....

Motorcycles, from day one, have been the subject of experimentation by those who ride them... and there was a time when there was no such thing as a 'motorcycle tire'. If it weren't for the building of motorcycle tires, the aircraft tire, and the automobile tire as we know it now, would not exist.

But that's just history... it can go in the bag with things like single carbeurator, rather than four, or LED headlamps instead of incandescent, electronic ignition instead of battery coil, Capacitor discharge, or magnetos. Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to put a car alternator on a motorcycle... or a stereo, CB, and HAM radio? install a trailer hitch, or saw off one side of the swingarm, and drive around with the wheel just bolted to a hub instead? Stick a V8 Chevy in one and call it a Boss Hoss (they actually ride really, really nice, btw)... Ooh... let's put TWO wheels on the back of a motorcycle and call it a trike, and sell it to the local police department... Or better yet, two wheels in front, one in back... That Polaris Slingshot... that's such a stupid idea... why didn't they just put a Vincent Black Shadow engine on the front of a Model T Ford, with just one rear wheel, and call it a Morgan? How 'bout we make 'paddle tires' for driving on sand dunes, or get a really good run at a lake and ride right across the water? Let it cool off a whole lot, run a hundred sheet-metal screws through the tires, line the inside with a thick piece of leather, put in a tube, air it up, and go racing on ICE... or... strip it down to bare nothing, paint our jackets red, white, and blue, and jump one over 14 school busses...

Here's the way I look at it: If you get into an accident in a CAR... the only thing you care about, is what the injurance company thinks.

I, however, ride a Motorcycle. If there's an accident, I don't care one bit about any insurance agent, or policeman. Matter of fact, I don't even care about my bike. Add to that, if my boat sinks, I don't care about it... and if I had an airplane, lost a control surface and tumbled it sideways through a corn field, or splashed it into the river, wouldn't matter to me one bit.

If you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford it... and I can afford to lose every motorcycle, every car, and every boat I can. All I care about, is that nobody else around me gets hurt.

That being said, my motorcycles have motorcycle tires. Would I consider using car tires, or using a motorcycle rear tire on the front? Darn right I would- I've ridden a GL1800 with car tire in back, and reversed rear on front, and a car tire on the sidecar. Handling? Like any other sidecar... funky... twist the throttle and it wants to turn right.... let go and it turns left. Handles a whole lot better than it did with motorcycle tires, IMO. Tell 'ya one thing, though- car tires on a motorcycle sure last longer, and are easier to control, driving that mile-and-a-half of gravel road between my driveway and the country blacktop. Gravel absolutely devours an expensive touring tire.

I'm not looking down on ANYONE for what they do, or CONSIDER doing. Unlike 'do-good society', motorcycling lends natural freedom and liberty to those who seek it, and with that comes the responsibility to protect oneself. For those that fail, well, they go to the School of Darwin.

Most people who don't ride motorcycles, think those of us that do... are stupid idiots. Those of us that ride, realize that there's a few out there, and everyone else is clearly NOT.

I suspect that if you were to go out on a ride with 100 other cycles, you'd have a very difficult time figuring out who's riding around on 'non-OEM' tires.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210685#p210685:2uucwtsw said:
Ansimp » Yesterday- 17:12[/url]":2uucwtsw]
To say that we Motorcyclists are a varied bunch is an understatement. A proud DarkSider posted this picture of his 40K mile tire! :doh:
:

:shock: I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff, just pain stupid, asking for a Darwin award. Even if there were some kind of racing slick, it has no place on the road where there might actually be, wait for it... rain water!

Latest posts