dreaded white smoke in exhaust

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":6yl3u050 said:
That bore scope is a cool tool.
What do they cost. Just curious.
They have inspection scopes at places like Home Depot, etc. for a little more than $100 I think. Just remeber to get one that has a small enough diameter to get into the spark plug hole.

This is what I started with.
https://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/ite...group_ID=21604&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

This is what I got now.
https://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/ite...group_ID=21604&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
crw0004jfr.jpg

crw0006jfr.jpg

Well, I decided to try Bar's Leak in hopes that it might just hold the off the gasket replacement till after the riding season. I really didn't have much faith in it but it seems to be holding for now. :Egyptian: https://www.barsproducts.com/1100.htm

Yesterday I flushed the coolant and filled up with Bar's Leak and water, it's not compatible with antifreeze. Then went for a 150 mile ride with three stops to let the engine temperature fluctuate. I had just a small amount of steam after the first stop but none later. A cold start this morning was quick with no steam or missing. After flushing to clean water and filling up with Preston 50/50 I took about a 50 mile ride and it still seems to be holding. :heat:
If/When it fails, I will let you know.

54Greybeard":2w3b4xss said:
Was the temp okay?

Yes the temperature has always been low even with the head gasket leaking. My fan comes on as soon as the temperature starts to rise. I figured I'd rather replace a worn out fan rather than take a chance on over heating some hot day in slow traffic. It never goes above the narrow white line on the gauge.

no im curious for the outcome ....this only a guess but now that it seems to be holding up ...i might take the valve covers off and just tweak head bolts a bump ever so little to help the plug stay like it is :mrgreen:

joedrum":3a92gr9z said:
i might take the valve covers off and just tweak head bolts a bump ever so little to help the plug stay like it is :mrgreen:

Joe, I considered re-torquing the heads but to ensure all the torque goes to the threads they say to make sure both the internal and external threads are clean and to lube the bolt head. There's no telling how long these head bolts have set and gone through heat cycles. Maybe 27 years from the factory torquing, I didn't figure they would even budge.
Who knows, this head gasket may open up tomorrow and I'll be replacing gaskets and re-torquing then. :salute:

I think that's the best choice Gary. I'd go ahead and hunt down head gaskets. You know you'll be needing them.

Well the Bars Leak gave up on me today! :head bang: Oh well, it held for two months with no Ill effects. I think I'll order the OEM gaskets but give the Bars Leak one more session, two more months would get me to the end of October and I might feel more like doing a gasket replacement then than riding. (probably not) :head bang: ....too much :head bang: for me.

Oh, one more thing, I plan to read and follow the directions on the container this time.. :head bang: :head bang:

I never had much luck with barsleak. There was a stop leak that looked like copper filings that worked really well but I haven't seen the stuff in years. There is some that looks like aluminum filings that I've had good luck with. It won't work on mine because I have oil going into the coolant. So my gaskets will be going in soon.

slabghost":l7cu787n said:
I never had much luck with barsleak. There was a stop leak that looked like copper filings that worked really well but I haven't seen the stuff in years. There is some that looks like aluminum filings that I've had good luck with. It won't work on mine because I have oil going into the coolant. So my gaskets will be going in soon.

The copper and aluminum material is designed for radiator leaks, this is formulated specifficly for head gasket repair. a copy from their web page:

This repair contains a blend of Aramid and refractory fibers giving the strength of a bullet-proof vest and the heat resistance of fire-proof clothing. As these particles penetrate a crack or the blown head gasket area, they lock together and bond forming a hard ceramic type seal. Works effectively on cast iron or aluminum blocks & heads.

I'm not really expecting a permanent repair, just hoping to make it through the riding season. :beg:

Good luck with it Gary. It sounds like it might be a real pain to clean off when you do change gaskets.

WindNWing":2f0rgklf said:
Yep, the only question is..how long will it last this time. :headscratch:

Question answered. :sensored:
So much for following directions, the first time I did everything wrong and it lasted two months...Following the directions to a T, it gave up in less then two weeks this time. :head bang:
To anyone unfortunate enough to suffer a blown head gasket my advice would be to give up a few days of riding and replace them with OEM gaskets. :music:

miricle in a bottle ...hmmm gary i know you realy didnt beleave that was going to work .....if i was closer id come over and help ya.... :cheeky: :shock: :head bang: :fiddle: :rant: :mrgreen:

joedrum":1qzqh3ef said:
.....if i was closer id come over and help ya.... :cheeky: :shock: :head bang: :fiddle: :rant: :mrgreen:
Nice thought Joe. :thanks: If I was looking for a wrench buddy you'd be the first on my list. :good:

I just ordered the parts I needed from the local Honda stealer, I prefer to deal locally when I can even though it was about 40 bucks more than cheapcycleparts.
I don't know how soon I can get to the job but I'll let you folks know how things go.