dreaded white smoke in exhaust

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading through this thread a couple things came to mind. I would replace both head gaskets and take the heads to a good machine shop and have checked for cracks and surfaced. Before installing the heads I would run a tap through each head bolt hole in the blocks and clean and inspect each head bolt. This will insure that when you torque the heads that you are getting an accurate torque reading. Once you warm up the engine I would re-torque the heads. This is the procedure we use in our shop but we don’t do motorcycles just trucks.
One of the problems with aluminum heads is they have a tendency to crack.

True about aluminum heads cracking but very rare for our flat 4.
I agree very important to clean and chase the bolts as well as the block threads and grease both the bolt threads and washers to make sure they crank down without resistance.
I had one bolt that felt like threads were stripping but finally pulled down tight.
Follow the tightening sequence and make 3-4 passes to make sure they are all tight.

I have both heads are off and no surprises, everything looks good. There is just a dusting of carbon and the cylinders look good. :clapping: :Egyptian:
Now I have a lot of cleaning to do and wait for my parts to come in.
cleaning.... :builder: waiting.... :whistling:

The head gaskets are on, she starts before I can get my finger off the button and really purrs. :yahoo: :music: :Egyptian:
This is a job I never would have attempted without this forum.
Thanks Dan and thanks to all for making this a great experience. :thanks: :hi:

Omega Man":4r2sjwcl said:
If one needed to replace a head gasket, should both be done? I'm a believer in not fixing stuff that isn't broke.

~O~
I don't know the answer and I usually subscribe to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I figured since I was there I would have the peace of mind that I'm starting out with both new gaskets.
It has never over heated since I've had it but maybe in a past life and if so, both sides would be effected. My final answer.....I don't know :smilie_happy:

Hi all,
I am doing both head gaskets as I have already said.....before I can leave for mexico....
I do have a question since my new O-rings have not arrived but the OEM head gaskets have..
I have not seen where anyone mentioned changing the o-rings that are on on the oil orifice tube. I sent for some new ones but if I can just use the old ones, I may not wait for them to arrive....they are the only thing holding me up....any ideas?????? I don't want it causing problems in Baca Cabeza, Michoacan though....
Thanks in advance..
Brian

Don't forget guys, the torque value was changed for GL-1000 by Service Bulletin 1000 #14 of 11/8/78.........

Quote.....
"The GL1000 recommended cylinder head bolt torque value has been changed from 5.3 - 5.7 kg-m (38 -41 ft-lb.) to 5.8 - 6.2 kg-m (42 - 45 ft-lb.). The recommendation applies to all GL1000 model years.

Please update your copies of the GL1000 Shop Manual (page 5-4).

Note: The 1979 GL1000 cylinder head bolts have a helixed shaft. They are interchangeable with early style bolts.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Service Communications Department"

End Quote....
So make sure you torque them correctly....

John the mohamer