Dying 1977

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2 1975 gl1000 1976 gl1000 1979 gl1000
I’m pretty sure my fuel pump is intermittently not pumping, starts runs for about 2 mile then quits, with the typical out of gas splutter. Leave all day and it starts fine. Am I on the right track with fuel pump?

Yeah it’s not that already tried it, it’s definitely running out gas, the pump is pumping but I think it’s quitting when it gets warm.

I’m thinking the diaphragm is split in the pump and letting fuel in and stopping it from working.

The pump has two check valves with phenolic seats. They can fail as well as the diaphragm. The fuel lines in the tank can get clogged, fuel lines can collapse. You need to narrow down the problem. BTW, 1100 pumps fit the 1000s just fine.

The pump has two check valves with phenolic seats. They can fail as well as the diaphragm. The fuel lines in the tank can get clogged, fuel lines can collapse. You need to narrow down the problem. BTW, 1100 pumps fit the 1000s just fine.
Fuel is making it to the pump no problem and when turn it over it pumps fuel out of the pump, pretty sure it’s the diaphragm or check valve

Could be the cap isn't venting. Try running it with a turn loose.
There is only a very small air bleed hole at the edge of the cap ,prize it open a little .

Another way to diagnose this is to start with a full tank of gas. If the problem arises rapidly, you have a venting issue. If it runs well until about 1/2 tank, it indicates a pump problem.

I’m pretty sure my fuel pump is intermittently not pumping, starts runs for about 2 mile then quits, with the typical out of gas splutter. Leave all day and it starts fine. Am I on the right track with fuel pump?
I just went through the same thing with my 81! I was 500 miles from home when mine happened. I rode my Mothers trike back to Maine, went back to NY the next weekend with my spare pump and put it on. Rode the bike back to Maine with no problems at all. My opinion is that your pump is bad! I also could go about 2 miles then it would die from no fuel. let it set 10 minutes and it would start up and run for 2 miles. I will never leave home without a spare pump again.
I was watching my fuel pump when trying to restart it when it quit and saw bubbles and fuel in the line going into the pump but nothing going to the carbs from the pump....

You can pull that pump apart , clean all parts don't mix up the valves , put a new gasket under them , check diaphragm , and just before you nip up all the diaphragm screws ,hold lever in , there is a test procedure in the manual as well , or if you don't like pushing , buy a new oem pump . Cheers .

You can pull that pump apart , clean all parts don't mix up the valves , put a new gasket under them , check diaphragm , and just before you nip up all the diaphragm screws ,hold lever in , there is a test procedure in the manual as well , or if you don't like pushing , buy a new oem pump . Cheers .
I replaced the pump, and still have the problem, now I’m really 🤔

Are the little screens under you metering pins or fuel inlet control valves clean ? , I don't know if you've cleaned your tank but it can be done in place, with electrolysis ,washing soda water and a battery charger works real good .

I had a problem with fuel starvation shortly after restoring my '81 GL1100 in 2016. After chasing down everything imaginable, I found it was sucking air at the petcock, especially where it mated with the fuel tank.
I had to file that surface flat on the petcock, then installed a new seal kit I bought from Randall Washington when he still owned 'Randak's' Goldwing Supplies.
Now I think I have an intermittent ignition coil breaking down at high speed on occasion. Just passed 50K miles riding today, for a total of 100 miles today, and didn't have the issue at all. Some of these things can be elusive to nail down until you happen upon the answer by sheer happenstance, lol!

Latest posts