Forks (Not the kind you use to eat with) lol :-)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndrew

Reaction score
:headscratch: I was wondering if a set of 83 aspencade forks would fit my 82 Interstate & Is there a difference between my 82I forks and the 83A forks?

BigAndrew":3q4clhzi said:
:headscratch: I was wondering if a set of 83 aspencade forks would fit my 82 Interstate & Is there a difference between my 82I forks and the 83A forks?
My understanding is that the main differences are that the 83 forks come with the trac anti dive and a fork brace. Also, the 83 had wider calipers for the wider rotors. Make sure the 83 comes with the caliper mounting hardware, as it is different than the 82.

Yes they will fit,but the 83 forks will have the TRAC anti dive system.I also dont know if the brake componants are the same or not.The 83s have linked brakes.
You can swap out the tubes if nothing else works though.

it would be just the fork tubes, No brace or anything else.. Would i still need the brackets for the brakes?

The guy claims 2 years ago they had new seals put in and progressive springs... My forks seals are so bad they wont keep oil in for very long and wont hold in air
I don't want to deal with having to add air, that's why i want the progressive springs and plus you cant get front progressive spring for less then $90-$100 new shipped to your door

I can't say for certain but I think they will fit. For new springs and seals it's worth a try. :good:

the bid starts at $77 with $29 to ship, i think I'll just buy some progressive spring and fork seals and do it myself unless i can get a used set like that for $50

If nobody bids on it maybe ill send him a message asking if he's willing to lower his price to $40-$50
Who here has replaced their forks seals an upgraded to progressive springs? How hard is it to change all that?

BigAndrew":22y2rxu4 said:
Who here has replaced their forks seals an upgraded to progressive springs? How hard is it to change all that?

I have not replaced my springs yet, but replacing fork seals was fairly easy. It takes more time to get the forks off than it takes to replace the seals. My daughter did one seal in less than 15 minutes!

dan filipi":qum3k7p3 said:
Fork springs are super easy.
It's a lift the old one's out drop the new one's in deal.

Will the stock air shock still work with the progressive springs afterwards or will I need to remove that?
Since mine won't hold air worth a crap do I need to replace any seals just for the air shock or is that what the fork seal does?

BigAndrew":2g43somi said:
dan filipi":2g43somi said:
Fork springs are super easy.
It's a lift the old one's out drop the new one's in deal.

Will the stock air shock still work with the progressive springs afterwards or will I need to remove that?
Since mine won't hold air worth a crap do I need to replace any seals just for the air shock or is that what the fork seal does?

We're talking about the forks not the rear shocks right?

The progressive springs will work fine with the stock air system. I run the forks with no air and 20 wt fork oil.

dan filipi":1dmh1kmo said:
We're talking about the forks not the rear shocks right?

The progressive springs will work fine with the stock air system. I run the forks with no air and 20 wt fork oil.

Yup, The front forks, i need to replace the back too but not right now
As far as the front go, Do i need to replace any other seals to get the shocks to hold air other then the main fork seal and the dust seal? Mine only hold air for like 5 minutes

BigAndrew":1anvfm59 said:
As far as the front go, Do i need to replace any other seals to get the shocks to hold air other then the main fork seal and the dust seal? Mine only hold air for like 5 minutes

Those seals should do it for the air seals but there is also an O ring on the caps. Could you have a leak there or at the hose?

I'd use a spray bottle with a soap and water mixture in it, fill the fork air to 20 lbs then spray around everything, fork seals, caps, air fittings while watching for bubbles.

dan filipi":1itdczlw said:
BigAndrew":1itdczlw said:

Those seals should do it for the air seals but there is also an O ring on the caps. Could you have a leak there or at the hose?

I'd use a spray bottle with a soap and water mixture in it, fill the fork air to 20 lbs then spray around everything, fork seals, caps, air fittings while watching for bubbles.

Good Idea... I didn't think to do that, i just auto assumed it was the fork seals

There is a bushing inside of the fork tube and if it is worn air will get past it. But like Dan said, check your hose at the handlebars first! When the fork seals leak, you normally can see they are wet from the oil leaking past them too.

lets assume that its been along time since the bushing were replaced ...its more like they never been replaced ....its thirty yrs old ...id sat the bushing are worn .....your a big guy ...almost two up all the time .....id replace them if it was me and had the money...they will tighten tubes and lowers and mininize side play so the seals dont move bach and forth causing them to wear out faster..... :mrgreen: your replacing everything else ....and yes the o rings on all the fittings to ....and dont over tighten the air hoses ...or it will crush the o rings..... :builder: :mrgreen:

mcgovern61":32dut4c3 said:
There is a bushing inside of the fork tube and if it is worn air will get past it. But like Dan said, check your hose at the handlebars first! When the fork seals leak, you normally can see they are wet from the oil leaking past them too.

Oh i can definitely see alot of oil leaking past the fork seals :head bang: :fiddle: Its been that way ever since i got the bike
Will do... Ill check for leaks first :good: :salute:

joedrum":32dut4c3 said:
lets assume that its been along time since the bushing were replaced ...its more like they never been replaced ....its thirty yrs old ...id say the bushing are worn .....your a big guy ...almost two up all the time .....id replace them if it was me and had the money...they will tighten tubes and lowers and minimize side play so the seals don't move back and forth causing them to wear out faster..... :mrgreen: your replacing everything else ....and yes the o rings on all the fittings to ....and don't over tighten the air hoses ...or it will crush the o rings..... :builder: :mrgreen:

Yea i might as well, At 330lbs, I'm always ridin two up :fiddle:
Off hand do you know how much the bushings go for and if they're a real pain in the arse to change out?
I'll have to be real carefull not to over tighten... I have a very bad habit of over tightening EVERYTHING :head bang:

I need somebody there sitting next to me and be like :Doh2: att att att... Don't do it... :rtfm:
:smilie_happy:

BigAndrew":hwrejprx said:
mcgovern61":hwrejprx said:

Oh i can definitely see alot of oil leaking past the fork seals :head bang: :fiddle: Its been that way ever since i got the bike
Will do... Ill check for leaks first :good: :salute:

joedrum":hwrejprx said:
lets assume that its been along time since the bushing were replaced ...its more like they never been replaced ....its thirty yrs old ...id say the bushing are worn .....your a big guy ...almost two up all the time .....id replace them if it was me and had the money...they will tighten tubes and lowers and minimize side play so the seals don't move back and forth causing them to wear out faster..... :mrgreen: your replacing everything else ....and yes the o rings on all the fittings to ....and don't over tighten the air hoses ...or it will crush the o rings..... :builder: :mrgreen:

Yea i might as well, At 330lbs, I'm always ridin two up :fiddle:
Off hand do you know how much the bushings go for and if they're a real pain in the arse to change out?
I'll have to be real carefull not to over tighten... I have a very bad habit of over tightening EVERYTHING :head bang:

I need somebody there sitting next to me and be like :Doh2: att att att... Don't do it... :rtfm:
:smilie_happy:

If you have oil on the fork tubes, you are definitely leaking through the seals and that is likely where you are losing air as well. But, it still makes sense to check your caps and air hose.

The bushings are not difficult to change out once you have the forks apart. I did it on mine and had no problems.

Why are you changing the tubes? Do they have nicks in them? If not, you may not need new tubes, just the seals and bushings.

Latest posts