Forks (Not the kind you use to eat with) lol :-)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyB":2slgqx3r said:
If you have oil on the fork tubes, you are definitely leaking through the seals and that is likely where you are losing air as well. But, it still makes sense to check your caps and air hose.

The bushings are not difficult to change out once you have the forks apart. I did it on mine and had no problems.

Why are you changing the tubes? Do they have nicks in them? If not, you may not need new tubes, just the seals and bushings.

I don't have to but I thought the guy had a good deal on a set with progressive springs already in them & newer fork seals.
I thought that would cheaper and easier then ordering and re-building them myself, But I don't think that's worth saving $30 or so... I think it would be much better to do it myself

I just got the new steering head bearing kit, swing arm bearing kit, new fork & dust seals in the mail, and i orderd some progressive springs for the fork tubes

I cant seem to find anybody that sells fork bushings... I found these on ebay
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GL-VF-V6 ... ccessories
It lists GL1100 Goldwing in the title but in the description it lists:
Part #51419-MB4-003, NOS Honda fork slider bushing, "B" type, fits 1984-87 GL1200 Goldwing, 1983-86 VF1100 V65 Magna, 1984-85 VF1100 V65 Sabre, 1984-86 VF1000 Interceptor.

Which none of those are a gl1100 :doh:
Since it fits 1984-87 GL1200 Goldwings will it fit gl1100 forks? Or are 1200 forks different?

I just got the progressive springs in the mail and they're only 21 inches long... Is that right? I just assumed they would be like 3 feet :headscratch:

dan filipi":3titw384 said:
21", is that all they are?

Yup, Are they supposed to be longer?

toytender01":3titw384 said:
I think if you convert to the 83 fork tubes you have to go with the caliper assy's also because the mountings are different... at least that is what I found out last night...Because of the breaks and the track anti-dive system.

I only considered it since those forks already had progressive spring in them and newer fork seals, I ended up buying progressive springs and fork & dust seals to rebuild the tubes myself, I git a lot of work ahead of me to fix up the 82

Attachments

• IMAG0310.jpg
    IMAG0310.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 83
joedrum":seufgao2 said:
gee bigA i forgot to look today at the springs ill do it first thing tomarrow :Doh2: :mrgreen:

:grin: No big deal... I wont be workin on it for a couple of weeks probably :salute:

big A i measured mine its stock two spring ...the big one is 18-1/4" and icoulnt find one of the small ones ....but id say yours are good at 21" and right for your bike... :mrgreen:

joedrum":1pl0ngwq said:
big A i measured mine its stock two spring ...the big one is 18-1/4" and icoulnt find one of the small ones ....but id say yours are good at 21" and right for your bike... :mrgreen:

Sweet, Thanks Joe :salute: