forks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanx dan,, my old (LH) fork is pitted bad... so i ordered sum in good condition.. except someone cross threaded a sae thread in the hole where air balance hooks on..... i just don't want to take a chance on it... i will see if i can get both ? caps off,... and i guess the best way to do it is in the bike,,... i have a large press here (still on trailor) if that would b the way to put it bac together. thanx
:fiddle:

Yeah I'd imagine the threads are pretty buggered up now.
Along with the pitting sounds like the best choice is to replace them, hope they're sending good caps also.

If you don't care about the old caps, loosen the top clamps and leave the lower clamps tight then use a vise grips to loosen them off.
Will need to remove the air line first of course.
May even be able to save the old caps by putting a rag on them before the plier.

this may be of value,, most of the way back together and learned the inner workings,, where they fit at the bottom are completely different... would have to use the slider that was w/the tube,,, but that one is not in as good of condition as the original. the design is completly diff.. probably leads to why sum say that "trac" system never worked good... they probly had the design but used up all the parts they had.. one is narrow at the bottom ,, one is big around w/an o ring.. I guess the guts can be removed?? idk,, i started on a beer though. then more figurin.... joe,, the ones i bought came w/caps... they are silver in color... maybe the diff. is aspy. and interstate? i'll get it one way or another

ok ,, i got that part figured out... just the bottom piece stuck in the bottom on one part and was on the slider inside on the other,, my bad,, now i didn't know how to put the left side back together so i took the right side apart,, that side has a flat washer.>? i guess its doing the same job as the curved stamped washer... well im fixin to find out...

Trak":1qrf7epu said:
this may be of value,, most of the way back together and learned the inner workings,, where they fit at the bottom are completely different... would have to use the slider that was w/the tube,,, but that one is not in as good of condition as the original. the design is completly diff.. probably leads to why sum say that "trac" system never worked good... they probly had the design but used up all the parts they had.. one is narrow at the bottom ,, one is big around w/an o ring.. I guess the guts can be removed?? idk,, i started on a beer though. then more figurin.... joe,, the ones i bought came w/caps... they are silver in color... maybe the diff. is aspy. and interstate? i'll get it one way or another
well sumtimes i jump to conclusion's :laptop:

Here is the front fork data for the 1100's.... View attachment Front Fork Data.pdf ... DO NOT remove the top caps without protection!!! The Fork Springs will "shoot" the cap into your face if you are not prepared for it!! I use a 2X4 with a notch cut out of it to accommodate the "hump" in the top caps and hold downward pressure on the cap as it is unscrewed (after you loosen it about 1 turn)

Be careful!

Rich

thanx for all the help.. ! got through that project... now have like brand new fork :good: tubes.. also got my cycle license today... wow,, what alot of hoops to jump through on that!

Latest posts