Found possibly a bargin, is it worth it?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
went out to a salvage yard looking for parts for my classic car, and came across an old, i believe 78 GL1000, guy said its all there, even though a lot of pieces are off the bike, and his brother just wants to get rid of it. im not sure if i should, although price is awesome, he wanted to sell it to me for $250. but what if the engine is seized? is there an EASY way to test if the motor will turn over?

not sure if he still has it, but planning on going back out there (135 miles away) to look for some more parts and might pick it up if i can figure out if the engine is good. i don't want to spend a ton of money just trying to get a bike running when i already have one bike that is taking a lot of money getting it back up and road worthy.

Well, without pulling anything off the covers, you could try putting it in 5th gear and stepping on the rear wheel spokes to see if it moves... or roll it and dump the clutch? If you pull the spark plugs, there'll be no compression resistance...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216921#p216921:1q8hsn30 said:
DaveKamp » Today- 22:08[/url]":1q8hsn30]
Well, without pulling anything off the covers, you could try putting it in 5th gear and stepping on the rear wheel spokes to see if it moves... or roll it and dump the clutch? If you pull the spark plugs, there'll be no compression resistance...

Do as Davekamp says. When I first try to get an engine to turn after it has been setting for years, I also remove the valve covers and spray Breakfree on everything in there. Also spray Breakfree in the spark plug holes.

Headstock will have a label telling what model it is (left front side). Has it been setting outside? Weather is hard on oldwings. If outside and the air cleaner was off or plugs out then there is water in the cylinders and possibly crankcase. Barring that, there are things that will require attention (CHANGE THE BELTS!) but none that difficult if you are willing to rebuild four carbs with six jets each.

Latest posts