Fuel Consumption

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

Reaction score
Surfing the net and read an article on turning. Have lost the link but this bloke went to great lenght to remind us that the various circuts in a carby opperate based on load and throttle position NOT revs. What that means for any one who cares about ecconomy (I coudn't give a rats) is that while cruising in top gear at 55mph or 4th at 30ish mph the throttle is only 10-15 % open and the load on the engine is low so it's still using, to some extent, the idle circut in the carbies. This is cool because the idle jet is way smaller than the main jet BUT if your air screws are not set up good then you are gunna tear thru the fuel if their rich or burn out your engine if their to lean (would have to be way way lean). Other strong influences at low throttle are carb sync and one nobody thinks of is wear in the throttle linkage which can make useless even the best carb sync job as soon as you grab the hand grip. Now there's some food for thought, unless your like me and really don't care how much fuel you use. Back when I was trying to be a semi-pro road racer we had a saying for saving engines "start rich and stay rich, go lean and end broke" this never got us max hp but it kept engine life to almost affordable :music:

When I was taught how to drive, one thing that has stuck with me is to drive like your driving a limousine and making the passenger comfortable. This meant slow take offs and easy on the brakes which also translates into better fuel economy.
I tell my wife this and to drive like you dont have brakes which helps save gas but she doesnt listen to me anyway, she loves the power the Suburban has so it's gas, brakes, gas, brakes, anything but steady.