Gates Belts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
Looking to replace my timing belts before spring arrives. I read somewhere that Gates makes a belt that is good quality and reasonably priced. Does anybody out there know the Gates belt number . My bike is an 83 1100.
Best regards.
David

Don't give ne credit for this one, I copied the information from another website. :oops:
GL1100 & GL1000 Timing Belts. If you don't fancy the idea of forking out €90 for a pair of Honda timing belts for your GL1100 or GL1000 Goldwing, then fret no more. Gates do a match for this belt (two in fact), just drop into your local car motor factor and ask for two Gates 5119 or two Gates T274 timing belts. They are about €15 each. Other manufactures supplying their equivalent belt are Moprod with the MTB71, Quinton Hazell's QTB184, NAPA 250274 and Goodyears 40274. Note; Gates 5119 timing belts are only available in Europe, thanks to Richard Jones of the U.S for informing me of this

TIMING BELTS

GL1000/1100: Gates: T274 NAPA: 250274
GL1200: Gates: T070 NAPA: 250070
GL1500: Gates: T275 NAPA: 250275

Thanks folks .
I ordered them today at Napa. I also ordered a rad hose that will work for both top and bottom. I'm wondering how far to go. Should I replace the thermostat and waterpump? The pump doesn't leak nor does the bike run hot. But I'm thinking they are 26 years old. I do'nt want to spend my riding time possibly replacing any one of these. my friend with the Shadow told me to leave well enough alone. I am also seriously considering installing an outside alternator like Dan did on his. Again my friends suggested that the stator is working so why go to the expense. I'm thinking a few hundred dollars and some time(I work real cheap for myself!) and maybe,just maybe I can elimenate nusance problems that can arise.
Am I being over cautious?

Well you would have to go back in and remove the belts, to replace the waterpump if it failed, and since you have to do the belts, it would not hurt to change the pump.. youo know cousin Murphy is just around the corner waiting!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: as for the t-stat that is ez and I would replace it, since you are replacing the hoses the coolant will already be drained.. and it takes just as long to remove everything anytime things go wrong.. why go in two or 3 times, when the work is halfwway done and opened????. I also believe... if it is not broke don't fix it ... but.... the labor cost in time is less when you preplan and do it all.. as for the altenator.. there is no direct bolt up kit for that and you would have to do some manufacturing.. Dan and others can help there.. if the kit was bolt up ready.. then I would say go for it... but since it is not your choice on that

Do the tstat, that's simple and cheap.

As for the water pump, check it first. Pull the pump cover and check the impeller for any wobble in the bearing. If the blades are metal it's been replaced.

I say do the alternator.

Latest posts