Gearing ?? / Trike build !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sledge":1keh73ph said:
OK ...... I have put about 10,000 miles on this old Goldwing in the last 2 or 3 years ... BUT ... I never noticed what the Tach. was reading a say 50 MPH .... anybody know about what the RPM's should be on a 1980 GL1100 at 50 MPH ??? mine is geared a little slow now with the Rear and the Low Profile 14" tires .... I am trying to get a good idea at how big the tires need to be to take care of this . . I know when I was building the trike I sit a regular size 14" car tire beside the 17" Goldwing tire ... and they was real close to same size. just wondering if Somebody knew about what the RPM's should be in 5th gear at 50 MPH.
at 50 mph my tach is reading 2,500 RPM and 4,000 is 70 mph
Doesn't count...you have an '82...different gearing and tire size than '80.

Thanks guys .... this site and the people on it have all the answers , and are so helpfull . so........... mine is about 4,000 rpm's at 50 mph. ... so I'm 12 to 15 mph off . . . . I have measured the outside of the tires ON it ....... and a bigger 14" .......and a 16" .... and my buddy is good at that kind of stuff....to figure what I need to gain 15 mph. and it gives him something to do ..... and I try to keep him busy thinking on things like this ..... this Trike is as much His as it is Mine if you know what I mean ..... i tell him about you guys often , he is 78 years old now . he is always saying how great it is to know other people with the same Intrests ... and he is so right. thank you all .

yeah , I think your right , 20 MPH increase might be a good plan . course I do most of my riding in these Tennessee Mountains around 60 mph or lower . i ride the Interstate very little .

I have a friend who is gonna bring me a couple of Taller tires on mag wheels tomorrow that will fit the Trike . I am gonna put them on and run it out the road ..... and see what the Speed is at 4,500 RPM's . that should give me an idea of how much ... or how tall the tires need to be . . I'll let you guys knows what happens. :music:

well......bad news ... my friend with the little 51 Ford truck brought the mags and tires............. they didn't fit...the little truck has GM hubs on it . :fiddle:

OK ...... I found some TALL 14" Tires ...........

image.php

Not only do they look better , But with the Low Profile tires , it took 4,500 RPM's to run 50 MPH . with the new Tall Tires 3,000 RPM's runs 50 MPH . . . :yahoo:

image.php

Hey there Joe , I really believe it's geared as high as it was new with these , MAYBE even higher than new . :music:

thanks ......... I believe it will be fine now.......it has Rained here off and on all day ... maybe tomorrow ,I can get it out on the main road.....and really check it on level ground . :builder:

hey there Joe ..... we've been Camping up in Summrsville W.Va. , out past the Bridge over the new River Gorge , where they have Bridge day , and people Jump off the Bridge .. that Bridge is close to 900 feet high I think . anyway , we was doing this meet as a Fund Raiser event for the little 2 year old girl Lydia Peyton , that a Tombstone fell on and now she is Paralyzed from the Waste down . to help her Family . anyway , looks like you guys have been busy , NOW it's time for me to get back on the Trike . thanks for checkin' on me Joe . :music:

sledge":2br7yxmy said:
hey there Joe ..... we've been Camping up in Summrsville W.Va. , out past the Bridge over the new River Gorge , where they have Bridge day , and people Jump off the Bridge .. that Bridge is close to 900 feet high I think . anyway , we was doing this meet as a Fund Raiser event for the little 2 year old girl Lydia Peyton , that a Tombstone fell on and now she is Paralyzed from the Waste down . to help her Family . anyway , looks like you guys have been busy , NOW it's time for me to get back on the Trike . thanks for checkin' on me Joe . :music:

Ouch !! poor thing !! her brothers pushed the stone over?