Getting rid of a remote

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to install a stereo on a 1200 Standard without using valuable saddlebag space, so I have this system.

MC500_MAIN.JPG

The speakers mount on the handlebars and the box is in tool tray inside the faux tank. The one problem with it: the remote does not turn on the box, so with it being in the tool tray, I always need to open the tank to turn it on.

Now the remote is starting to show signs of fatigue. When I want to turn it up or down, I advance or replay a song... It's kind of annoying.

I have soldered several external buttons onto garage door openers:
https://www.vetterowners.com/threads/get-rid-of-the-ugly.488/

So I figured I do the same thing to the radio.

It's nothing more than finding the posts to the bottons on the boards
image.php

Soldering some wires to those posts:
image.php

Then putting some push button switches in an accessible location:
image.php

Now I can actually turn the power on/off, adjust the volume up/down without the use of the remote.

Oh and in case you're wondering, that isn't the stock trim piece for the ignition switch. If I ever want to remove the switches, I have the original unmolested trim piece to put back on.

Nice job! I've been looking at smaller sound systems for my bikes. It's surprisingly hard to find one with AM band reception. Pocket radios have been around for years but a small unit for a bike is hard to find.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175686#p175686:2t9m0rmq said:
slabghost » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:07 pm[/url]":2t9m0rmq]
Nice job! I've been looking at smaller sound systems for my bikes. It's surprisingly hard to find one with AM band reception. Pocket radios have been around for years but a small unit for a bike is hard to find.
It sure is! I installed my radio in my new trunk. It is a full sized Marine AM/FM/CD/iPod unit. Because it is a Marine radio, I was able to get the waterproof remote for it. That thing is beast! I like it because it controls all of the normal functions of the radio and iPod. Plus, the buttons and controls are large enough to be changed with my riding gloves on.

image.php

image.php