Gl 1200 Adventure bike, with sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmmm mike .....im a bit worried here ...it looks to me like that this takes a lot of stress ....its a one bolt drop that looks to be 4" ....the bracket stability is not much here with just one point used....and you have to consider it at the weakest part of b racket too as it has hole in it ...at speed and pothole or something makes me think it might be to weak and bend....

Good point joe, I built the bracket with some flexibility in it so I could run a full width under belly bar from the other side of the frame that would attach to the bottom of this mount, all I have to do is move the side car mount up one hole and if needed I can drop this mount down one hole to put it back in the same level as now. Better save than sorry, believe I will take your advise and go ahead a fab this up, thanks !! I believe the Ural's and the BMW"s use the full belly mounts also.

Getting started on the tub for the adventure sidecar. The skeleton has to be laid out first and no better place to begin than with the nose and the tail so the length can be set by the mid section. This is the first layout, the height, as shown in these pictures, will to be adjusted approximately 4 inches downward and the nose is to be slanted inward from each side approximately 5 inches. Pay no attention to the crowded work space, I'm use to it. LOL.
IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg

Should resemble this when I'm through with it, this is a Ural R100. I'm using the same dimensions on the one I'm building but making a few mods I wanted to make for my needs.
R100 Ural R side dim.jpg
WS R100 Ural front 01 dims.jpg

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=163781#p163781:2mpq3sty said:
slabghost » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:57 am[/url]":2mpq3sty]
That is going to be a nice addition to the bike. I'm enjoying your progress.
+1 :good:

Work is again progressing on the sidecar, two of the frame mounts had to be positioned differently to facilitate better adjustment of toe-in and the skeleton for the tub was completed and welded. I also got the plywood side panels cut out and will next cut the floor panels, then the panels will be laminated with smooth sheet aluminum and painted after being attached to the skeleton. Here are a few pics of the progress on the tub, it doesn't favor much at the moment but will when all the bells and whistles are completed and attached. lol.
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 034.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 008.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 001.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 002.jpg

Forming plywood backing board for ends of side car. Method used was soaking in hot tap water for approximately ten minutes, clamping into place and letting it dry, minimal cracking on outer ply but will be sanded and laminated to the aluminum cover sheets.
5-2016 Sidecar Work 004.jpg
5-2016 Sidecar Work 002.jpg
5-2016 Sidecar Work 003.jpg
5-2016 Sidecar Work 001.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173535#p173535:1mofgo4p said:
slabghost » Wed May 18, 2016 4:40 am[/url]":1mofgo4p]
Looking good!
+1 :good:

Latest posts