Gl 1200 Secondary Air System-USA models

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each carb is slightly different. They are after all mass produced. Doing the procedure just twice is enough. For the mixture screws. Then the carb synch procedure comes into play.Off the top of my head I don't recall the exact procedure for that but it's in the manuals. If after you do both procedures it still has some hesitation. Go back to the linkage used in the carb synch and turn one screw in just 1/4 turn and test the response. You may get it with the first adjustment or you may have to open all 3 just slightly.

Overthinking on the sync, all the sync does is make the four carbs open or close at the same precise time, and makes the carbs open in balance from one side of the engine to the other. Like Joe, I bench sync mine and have not had any problems.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJMVk-A9TM[/video]

My first attempt at loading up a you tube video. Hope it works.

This video shows the plugs installed after removing the secondary air supply and gives a bit of advice for routing and installing the now single vacuum line from the air cut off valve to the nipple on intake #4.

--Bronko

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141386#p141386:28jilatj said:
tom foreman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:57 pm[/url]":28jilatj]
great,job. :popcorn: ..you got me thinking the same.. :music: for my 85 1200

Yea, hopefully it all works out Tom. I have not had a chance to run or tune the carb yet as it has just been way too cold to even waste my time on that. For sure I will post a video of it runnin though. Cant wait to see if there are any performance benefits.

I was a little concerned about removing the secondary, not sure if it would affect the jetting and what not. My dad said it best "carb puts the air and the fuel in the hole, goes booom, anything else is just a distraction" :ahem:

This is a very interesting thread indeed.
I have a GL1200E Standard which I bought several years ago, and I am currently rebuilding.
Some time in the past this modification was done. The only difference the plugs on mine are made from
black plastic. They were machined with a groove for the o ring too.
You can see them in the picture here

Looks like I need to do this mod on the Aspy whenever I get back onto it :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141889#p141889:kc6zsj93 said:
Lemen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:27 am[/url]":kc6zsj93]
This is a very interesting thread indeed.
I have a GL1200E Standard which I bought several years ago, and I am currently rebuilding.
Some time in the past this modification was done. The only difference the plugs on mine are made from
black plastic. They were machined with a groove for the o ring too.
You can see them in the picture here

Looks like we are certainly not the first ones to try it. Have you ridden other bikes same as your 1200 that had the secondary air supply installed? Did you notice a difference in the idle, running, performance?

Even if there is absolutely no gain in performance, it was well worth it IMO when re-installing the carbs. It was so much easier without all that junk underneath.

She is a 1200 Standard, they are rare as hens teeth.
It would be difficult to compare like for like.
I do have an Aspencade also, but she is stripped down at the moment. A long story.
The Aspencade and Standard ride differently, mainly due to the lack of fairing on the Standard.
Having said all that it is several years since the Aspencade was running.
I also have a 1200 Interstate 1986 which I bought in bits with the intention of putting her back together sometime.
She has the cylinder heads without the ports.

On the subject of my 1200 Standard, I am pretty sure she is a USA Model
as she has no light switch and has twin filament front indicators.
She did have a hybrid front end on her when I bought her.

Here she is the day I brought her home. I know this hijacks the thread somewhat
but just to give an idea of the butchery that she was subjected to.

Just a quick update.

I got all new brake lines installed on the 84. We are supposed to get a little warm up next week so before Tuesday I need to bleed the lines and clean the bike up a bit. Then I can re-install the fairing and Tupperware. On Sunday I hope to actually be able to start the bike up and dial in the carb a little bit. We will hopefully finally get an idea of the result of the modification that started this thread. I'll keep you all posted and get a video up as soon as I can.

Cant wait to feel 50 degrees and sunshine. Im hoping to be able to ride to work on Tuesday and Wednesday. After 3 months worth of weekends in the garage working on my two machines I sure am jonesin to get out and test them. :builder:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roDnXSRiYpY[/video]

Ok guts the modification is done and I am just finishing putting the lowers back on. I was able to ride the bike yesterday and WOW, this is a MUST DO modification in my opinion. There is absolutely no doubt that this mod really increases the seat of the pants feel of the bike. I am not even joking when I tell you I scared myself just a little bit because I thought the :sensored: thing was going to stand on one wheel. I would call this venture a complete success and I would recommend that anyone who is going to be pulling the carb rack anyway should just ditch the secondary air supply system all together.

:thanks: for all the help along the way....

Latest posts