GL1000 single carb cough

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was recently gifted a 75 trike. The former owner pulled the motor to do some tinkering and had it all in pcs. seemed like he did a pretty good job putting it back together until... he went to start it. (side note: bofore starting for the first time... this bike was outfitted with a single carb kit) When he went to start it, it started coughing from the carb and gas shot in to the air along with a flame and it caught fire. (not to badly, just a bit of the wiring as he had an extinguisher handy.) So, here is the question... what should i look for that may have caused this to occur. It almost seems like the timing was completely reversed but i dont even know where to check that first. this is my 4th golding but first 1000. I believe the timing is fairly static. Any suggestions?

hmmmm sounds like all things on table ...to me it be time to take timing belt covers to check timing on belts .... also what kind ignition is on it dyna or points .....as far as carb goes it could be culprit too ....when it comes to carbs .. make sure it all bought down to lowest level of gas charge is good place to start to keep fuel the lowest to cause fire ... also would help to know what carb it is so it can be put into thought ... way big carbs can cause huge miss match need lore info to help good ....also manifold set up or pics

I would start with the valve timing(belts) to be sure it isn't off then the ignition timing, then a compression test to verify the cylinders and valves are OK, If you have compression and valve timing is good then it is all carburetion , check for vacuum leaks between the carb and manifold and at the cylinder intake ports.

Sounds to me like the plug wires are on wrong.
Not difficult to get swapped, made the mistake myself.

Sitting on the bike, wires should come off the coils from left to right, 4,3,2,1.
Left rear plug is 4, left front is 2.
Right rear is 3, right front is 1.

check the fuel lines,i caught one on fire.years ago.replaced right head and drove 500 mile round trip to get it.and forgot to tighten down fuel line.sometimes its right in front of you. :builder:

Awesome guys. I will check on each of those things before I try to start again.(although for some reason I cant seem to find timing belt setup in any of my manuals. I have a "Honda shop manual, a Haynes manual and a Clymer) Thanks for some direction.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144330#p144330:2ls0x1kq said:
Mandorider » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 am[/url]":2ls0x1kq]
Awesome guys. I will check on each of those things before I try to start again.(although for some reason I cant seem to find timing belt setup in any of my manuals. I have a "Honda shop manual, a Haynes manual and a Clymer) Thanks for some direction.
Do like Dan suggested and give the firing order a check first, plenty of times they get assembled out of order.
Good luck, hope it is an easy fix.