GL1000 Turn Over but no Idle.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL1000
Z125
I am thinking of buying a 1978, but it sat 2 years and now will not start. Other than checking for spark, adding fresh gasoline, and giving the carbs a light beating, any suggestions on what to try first? The bike is in good condition and sounds good turning over.

Often, Seafoam, AT MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED CONCENTRATION, wil help clean up carbs that have only a couple year's build-up. Once you can get it started. Be aware that it takes a lot of cranking to fill the float bowls, and choke will be needed. I usually crank no more than 10 seconds then wait 30. Expect five or more cycles first time. And make sure battery fully charge, run/stop switch in run.

You might want to spray some starting fluid in the air box to isolate the carbs as the problem. If that works, then my recourse would be to buy a Randakks kit for $240 and rebuild the carbs. Shortcut would be to pull the float bowls and clean the jets and see if accelerator pump nozzles function.

You might want to spray some starting fluid in the air box to isolate the carbs as the problem. If that works, then my recourse would be to buy a Randakks kit for $240 and rebuild the carbs. Shortcut would be to pull the float bowls and clean the jets and see if accelerator pump nozzles function.
'78 has no accelerator pump.

Idle jets are probably stopped up with varnish. If you were using ethanol fuel before you parked it last, lots of things are probably stopped up, lol!

To quickly check running , petrol in a squirter bottle , remove air cleaner squirt into plenum, should be able to run if all else is ok , help you access the motor .

Idle jets are probably stopped up with varnish. If you were using ethanol fuel before you parked it last, lots of things are probably stopped up, lol!
Exactly,I pulled 1975 GL carburetors 3 times and thoughly cleaned everything till I finally got it right,I rode my bike today,It still runs beautiful after two years since I last cleaned them,Let me say I use only ethonal free fuel,I think that helps.

Exactly,I pulled 1975 GL carburetors 3 times and thoughly cleaned everything till I finally got it right,I rode my bike today,It still runs beautiful after two years since I last cleaned them,Let me say I use only ethonal free fuel,I think that helps.
About two times for me , some idle jet and air jet cleaning can be done in place , but if there gunked inside the bowls , most likely, they will need the strip down , my plenum oring failed , and it was garaged for 10 years .

I warn new owners pulling GL1000 carbs to get comfortable doing it - you will probably do it three times before you get them right. Floats + 4 carbs x 6 jets per carb - so many chances for mistakes!