Hard wired power for Garmin Nuvi GPS

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYWinger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided to mount the Garmin on the shelter, removing the Gold Wing logo on the hinged door and making a mount plate as others have successfully done, BUT my question concerns power...
(from Amazon.com)

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SX300_.jpg
Garmin Nuvi Hardwire Cable (Mini-USB connector) for Garmin Nuvi
by Garmin
3.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (56 customer reviews)
Price: $12.25 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Only 19 left in stock.
Sold by Charger City and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Want it tomorrow, April 5? Order within 2 hrs 12 mins, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
6 new from $8.75

The reviews for this are mixed - I'd really like to go this route and keep all the wiring hidden uder the shelter with just the mini-din sticking out....anyone with experience on this unit??? :beg: :beg:

:thanks:

I have not used this particular unit, but I have used similar 12-5v power supples and this one looks like good quality. Just make sure it is waterproof if not keep it as dry as possible.

Yeah ya know many reviews are from yahoo's that have trouble setting an alarm clock.
I scan the reviews and look for the one's that sound like they know what they're doing.

If it doesn't work out, Amazon has always been good with returns for us.
It's my preferred site to shop now.

About your mounting location.... I wouldn't mount it there.
Reason is you need to look at it for the directions while riding, down low like that your taking your eyes off the road.
I tried it mounted to a old CB radio I have bolted to the shelter lid and it was still too low.
I'd get a good quality RAM mount to clamp to the handlebar up high, RAM mounts are well worth the cost.

Something like the dude at this site, he has it on the right side but I prefer the left, https://www.rammount.com/Products/GPSMou ... ult.aspx#/

That site seems to have a buttload of them too.

Good advice Dan, where possible distractions should be in your normal field of view.

When I first bought my Sat Nav I fancied mounting it on my tank in a similar way to yourself but I thought it would make an easy target for some lowlife to damage or steal. With a ram mount I can easily remove it whenever I leave the bike unattended.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

I used a Nuvi for years, i mounted the cup to the screen just above the RH speaker using a small thin bolt to hold it in place. This is where I am always use to glancing at it when driving. I glued the mounting plate to the ball in the position I wanted. I have velcro fixed to the sides so I can attatch a leather hood, stops glare and it has never got wet. The power is taken from a USB socket in the faring pocket, I use the original USB PC lead.

Latest posts