Headlight is out...thought it was fixed, it aint.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I'm off to vegaswingnut's(George) after work. No new changes to wiring, I need to check some stuff the PO did to connect his satellite radio. I found an article during a Google search on another forum where a wire bundle near the forks was causing a short.

~O~

I'm home from George's(vegaswingnut). The headlight is working, I even stopped for some food and still made it home okay. Funny thing happened when I replaced the blown 10A fuse with the proper 5A fuse in the #12 slot. I forgot to turn the ignition off at the key and while holding the box with the relays and the #12 fuse slot I felt the headlight relay vibrate under my thumb as I inserted the new fuse, it did this for about 1 second and stopped...and the headlight was working. After this we moved every bundle of wires we could find and no short. Here's another odd find, the #7 slot that calls for a 10A fuse for the parking lights and airpump(according to the diagram) has no power to it, yet the parking lights and the air pump work properly...ever heard of something like that? There is no rats nest of wiring anywhere on the bike so we were baffled.

~O~

Omega Man":sa6xr0i0 said:
Here's another odd find, the #7 slot that calls for a 10A fuse for the parking lights and airpump(according to the diagram) has no power to it, yet the parking lights and the air pump work properly...ever heard of something like that?
Ooooh an easy one. In on position parking lights come off fuse 8. Air pump comes off fuse 6.

Ignition switch in the 'park' postion applies power to fuse 7 to power the parking lights and air pump outlet.

Unfortunately you haven't found the fault yet Randy. Hopefully you moved something around that has stopped the short for awhile. The fact that your number 12 fuse was already changed to a 10amp instead of 5 tells you that this fault had occurred with the po. I still suggest my course of action to isolate the area of fault. I would probably run on high beam as much as possible so that hopefully you notice the short occurring by the blue high beam light not working.

In a pinch, a bastard fix for this temporarily is replace the blade fuse with an auto resetting circuit breaker, 5 amp if they have it.
At least this way the headlight will only be off until the cb has cooled enough to come back on.
Of course finding the short is preferred and the cb should only be temporary.

Headlight this morning and sometimes other mornings comes on when turning key to start then goes out and comes back on after bike is started. Sometimes it doesn't come back but after turning key several times it comes back. This am it came on when turning key, then off. Twice it did this then no light after twisting key many times it never came back. Fuse is okay and had to ride with Janet to work. Sound like the ignition?

Agreed. Probably was ignition but now I'd bet the light is burnt out from cycling off and on. Time to check wiring and bulb and switch.

Rofl, still at George's finishing install of last LED'S. That problem with this headlight? He solved it in Oh about 1 second... it was the start button, it was dirty, fine desert sand. :Doh2:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144992#p144992:1gkexp9l said:
julimike54 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:06 pm[/url]":1gkexp9l]
New pix of the new lights?

I'll post some after work.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144984#p144984:1gkexp9l said:
VegasWingnut » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:33 pm[/url]":1gkexp9l]
Glad I could help you get your headlight figured out. And get more LED'S put in place.
You and your cloud of blue... :smilie_happy:

That's "Cloud of Cool Blue light." Yamaha riders. :roll: (inside joke)

~O~

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Like I said... a Cloud of Cool Blue Light. :rocks:

~O~

I just looked back on the earlier responses to this headlight thing from way back in 2013 and many of you had it right from the beginning. I'm must have tried the start button back then but can't be sure. :oops:

~O~

Those blue lights sure look purdy! A buddy of mine here in Washington state was rolling down the interstate with his blue lights on and a state patrol officer pulled him over and let him know here in Washington it's illegal to run red or blue lights on a non-emergency vehicle.

Latest posts