headlight, turnsignals, brake light work, no running lights or tail light?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not realy ...your in quite a spot id move slowly and thuraly ...your not alone ive got the same crap going on on my bike too ...but not as bad as yours ...kinda hard to fix all this in place ...not a lot of room to do it right ...

Me?? I would just get another used harness from one of our parts guys (1060dsl comes to mind!). That much melted wire might have issues elswhere! (IMHO) :shock:

Ok I am really stumped now...

I got everything working, tail light, brake light, front and rear signals, dash lights, etc.

I spent the whole weekend praying over the wire diagram and then in general...removed all the burned out wire, which turned out to be everywhere, soldered in new wire and everything. I got the whole thing working, no fuses blowing.

Then I rode it to get gas. Fuse blows. Now it won't stop blowing. Now even if I get the tail light working the brake light doesn't. No turn no dash no nothing.

And now the kicker, the starter switch stopped working and I have to pop start it.

Any ideas why it was working and now it's hosed? I rode less than 5 miles! Little disappointed I have to admit. I love this bike when I can ride it!

chrisbags":33zikw38 said:
Hey McGovern -

That's a good idea, but can you replace a whole harness without pulling the motor or other additional major surgery?

Thanks man.
Yes you can! I have my old '82 harness but I see where it also needed some work (the reason I pulled mine too!). The only "surgery" is pulling the faux tank and fairing. Not hard, just time consuming.

I have a harness from an 83 parts bike I'm going to strip clean but I think your better off to get a year specific harness, there are differences might cause unneeded headaches pulling one over from a later model, that and this one has been hacked a bit.
Guy was a ham radio operator and liked to "customize".
1060dsl is a parts guy, he might have one for an 81. Send him a PM.

Thanks guys. I'll check into the harness - so I found two pinches where the wires run round a bend under the seat area no less. When I put them back where they should be voila, lights back.

So can a pinch cause a fuse to blow? Even a 5 a?

So now I need to ask about solenoids and starters-

I'm not able to start with the button. I can pop start 'normally' - I hear the solenoid clicking when I hit the button (one click)

Is the starter likely to just go without a trace? No turning over, nada. It worked and then when I went to start up after filling up, no dice.

What's the skinny on checking something like this out? Brain surgery?

Thanks again for the collective experience. A rook like me is dead without some help, hopefully I can start helping some others real quick.