Heat Guage Problems 1976 Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

Reaction score
My 76 Wing is acting up. The heat gauge goes to full hot even before I start the bike. It is not the rectifier it is working correctly. Do you thing it is the heat censer behind the radiator? Answers? Thanks Buzz

hi buzz ...theres a volt regulator ....that thr gauages run on and when it gose bad the gauages will register wrong on the high side.....the gas gauage is pribably working wrong to ....on the 1100 its in the instrument cluster ....i never had one go bad on a 1000 but assume its in the same place ...it needs to be fix before it ruins the gauages.... :mrgreen: no doutb it could be something else also

Agreed. The above suggestions are good. It is most likely either the sensor or the wire to it. It is possible though it might be the guage itself. You say the fuel guage is fine? Is the tank full? If so you can't verify the gas guage is right. Because an over voltage condition will read as full on the gas guage. If you have low fuel and the gas guage reads say 1/2 tank. Then you can rule out the 7 volt regulator.

Yep.
According to my book but should be top front of the motor probably near that radiator shield.
Should be close to the fan switch. Yes they are right close
Sender is left of the fan switch.

Ok: Unplugged the censer, no difference the gauge is still not working. I now have a new censer on the way. I am riding the bike with the heat gauge not working hope everything goes ok. Thanks Buzz

OK, I have a temp censer on the way. Anyone know the socket size to remove the censer. I know it is a deep well socket and looks like about a 21 MM. Thanks for the help. Buzz

gee buzz i forgot to look :headscratch: glad you came up with it ...it will be interesting to see if this fixes it ....ive never hsd a temp gauage or sender problem :mrgreen:

Morning joe. The sencer is not fixed. I am back to squire one . Looks like winter work . Thanks Buzz

buzz":21eytw1w said:
OK, I have a temp censer on the way. Anyone know the socket size to remove the censer. I know it is a deep well socket and looks like about a 21 MM. Thanks for the help. Buzz
the sw for the gauge is the smaller single wire unit 17mm. ther larger two wire sw is the fan sensor

if you just look down in the dark area the big, two wire unit is the easiest to see. and replacing it would not have any effect.

Latest posts