Hello from a new Wing rider

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindNWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been riding Hondas all my life but just bought my first Wing ('83 Interstate) two weels ago. I didn' realize untill after the sale that it had been converted to a two barrel carburetor which seems to work just fine.

I am looking foward to learning from the long time Wingers who would have spotted the conversion simply passing it on the road.

Ride safe and often

tell us how its up like what kind of carb , and what kind of manifold , what rpm it idles at, and how it operates ?????

83 are nice bikes good for you and welcome to the forum

Welcome to the CGW forums, WindNWing!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
There are a couple of threads here about the 2bbl conversion...check them out! :read:

:hi: Welcome to the site :salute: We all would love to see pics of your bike, Specially of the single carb setup :mrgreen:

Yeah post the pictures already... and welcome from North TEXAS DFW area... welcome to the touring crowd.. and I see I was not the only one interested in just hondas even though I have owned and ridden others I keep coming back..

There does seem to be some interest in the intake/carb setup. Right now I don't have any pictures but I will post some soon. I haven't been able to find any information about the intake on the net.

It is factory made with an aluminum casting (pictures soon) it starts with about a half turn of the engin. It blusters for about 30 seconds with a cold start and choke but soon settles out nice and smooth with no choke, warm starts are just as quick with no choke. I can't compare the operation with a factory intake and carbs since this is the first wing I've ever ridden. When I crack the throttle around 55-60 MPH, it gets real throaty, I assume the second barrel comes in and it has a nice response in speed, again I have no idea how this would compare to an original set up. Regardless of the comparison, I am quite happy with the performance. I have read about the low pressure in the intake causing icing problems and I'll know this winter as I ride year around.

If things work out there should be some pictures accompanying this post.

My wife and I took a 170 mile ride to see the grandkids and I can say I was well satisfied with the carb/intake setup. The idle is at 1100 RPM and no blustering when I crack the throttle.
Joedrum asked for the type of carburetor, the best I can say right now is just that it is a two barrel. It’s well hidden with the base plate just even with the bottom of the tank and from the top, all I can see is two barrels. If I ever get down to it, I’ll post later. On a closer look, it doesn’t seem that icing will be a problem, the intake is heated from the engin coolant.
There didn’t seem to be any good way to get a picture of the intake. It is a one piece aluminum casting, inverted “T”. The cross section is about 2" high and slightly fan shaped from 4" out to 6" where the nipples accept the fittings going into the cylinders. The coolant comes in from both sides and exits from bottom center. There are petcocks on both sides at the top to bleed the air from the intake coolant.
I just looked at the picture of the intake and I see I have some more cleaning to do.....
I haven’t been able to find any information on the manifold, it is obviously a factory casting. If anyone recognizes it and has any information they could share, I would be grateful.

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 173
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 168
Ayup, that is a sweet ride. That manifold is very cool. We should start a thread in TECH for the many questions we know are coming. WindNWing, this kind of thing always get the mob buzzing.

~O~

Time for a 1,000 mile update....
I flushed the radiator and gave her new coolant even though the old looked good but.I can’t say the same for the brake fluid, it looked more like black mud. The bleeder valves kept plugging up and one line even plugged at the banjo fitting. After flushing and bleeding, the brakes are good now. No complaints with the single carburetor setup which I have since learned is a Webber two barrel.
Last week I developed a serious miss on cold start up which always cleared after I road two or three miles. I figured it had to be electrical since I had one carb feeding all four cylinders so I replaced the plugs and plug wires. It seems to be running fine now so I’m going to call it fixed even though I don’t have an answer as to why it corrected itself after riding a distance.
I’m going on a 500 mile ride with some friends this weekend........We’ll see.
The only problem I had was the plugs on the right side. When I first got the bike, I pulled the plugs on the left side and they looked like new so I didn’t go any farther. When I attempted to pull the right side plugs this time they would NOT budge. I warmed the engine up hoping the head would expand from the heat. I’m not sure if that helped or not but at that point I had no choice but to force them out. They came really hard about three fourths of the way and I expected to see the threads full of aluminum from the head but they came out clean. I believe these are the original plugs and have never been changed. I had to chase the threads with a tap but then the new plugs went in fine (with a little copper anti-seize).
Thanks to the forum she went back together without the front shelter bolts and the 90 degree tabs bent straight so the upper door fully opens now.
Ah.......just incase the miss should reappear on my ride, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might look for?

Latest posts