Hello from Lansing, Michigan

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,
Please let me know if I should be posting this elsewhere.
I got home this evening and the battery had been charging all day and the charger light was green (charge complete)
Turned the ignition on, but same thing: starter made a clicking sound once. Second attempt gave nothing.
Even though the headlight was still bright the horn barely did anything---just a small burp.
This I think means the battery is really not holding any charge.
I plan to look for a new battery locally---I am looking for suggestions ( I have most major chain stores nearby).
If I can start it, I plan to fill up the tank and add Seafoam and ATF.
I will make sure I have adequate oil and coolant and go for a short ride. I was able to ride a little when making the purchase of the bike.
Thanks,
Simba

Welcome from the west side (Grand Rapids area).Its great to have another michiganer here. :yahoo:

Sounds like a great deal,and this forum will help you through anything you choose to try yourself on it.

Behind the battery is the starter solenoid....give it a good whack and try to start again. Also, right behind the solenoid is the main fuse for the bike....might have dirty ends and poor connection. Of course...it could be a bad battery.

I'd check with Sears for an AGM maintenance free battery and get a battery tender too. You can try jump starting with your car battery with the car off. Do not ever try to start any bike jumping from a running car. If it starts right up it is just a battery issue.

Thanks All,
I plan to start my adventures tomorrow.
First, I will attempt to "jump start" the bike tomorrow (car off, thanks for the tip).
Then, off to Sears and get gas for the tank.
I will keep you all informed off my progress and ask questions as I go along. Crazy, but I really did not even know where the starter and solenoid are found. Thanks. This is only my second year riding and I am completely 100% addicted to everything motorcycle.
Thanks All,
Simba

probably need to ckeck the three yellow wire sator plug connector on the left side of the battery and see if if that connection is showing melting and heat going on if it is it needs to strait wired there a theead on that i think in the teck section

joedrum":28i3eoql said:
probably need to ckeck the three yellow wire sator plug connector on the left side of the battery and see if if that connection is showing melting and heat going on if it is it needs to strait wired there a theead on that i think in the teck section

thanks, I am off to advance auto to get a new battery.
wish me luck--just getting the bike's motor turning in my my own garage would be a major accomplishment.
thanks
simba

The old battery can be load tested at the chain stores no charge.
I would do that first because since the headlight is bright the starter should at least try to turn but I have had full voltage at the battery but not able to supply enough current.
Starter just clicking may be dirty or worn brushes.

:wave: It's true, you came to the rite site! These guys have a lot of answers about GoldWings. Great buy for sure. Enjoy. GEO. Just ask- :help:

Okay friends,

Got back from Advanced Auto Parts with their best battery.
Put the new battery on a charger just to top it off but ran out of patience after 20 min. Put it on the bike.
I turned the key, said a little prayer, and voila THE BIKE WAS ON FIRST TRY. No hesitation at all.

After about a minute went inside and got my camera. While taking pictures I realized the choke was still out (the bike was loud). Put the choke in and the bike is just purring like the babe she is.

I have been riding it all morning with a touch of seafoam (had very little left) and about 6 shot glass full of ATF. This Goldwing has already more power than my Yamaha V-Star 650. I could easily get it to 75mph quickly but did not want to risk it any faster.

The Bad: shifting is very hard--somewhat easier shifting up than down. On all my other bikes I just use my toes. Here noway. I have to use the the top of my foot to do it. And down shifting is just as hard. But intermittently it gets very easy and just when I think it has improved it gets hard again.

Thank you all,
I will post a few pictures later today. If you have any suggestions for the shifting issue I will appreciate it
Simba

Be sure the clutch cable is set correctly. It seems the clutch may not be fully releasing. Shifting these 1100s is not as easy as other bikes on the best days. You do get used to it though.

slabghost":82xys11o said:
Be sure the clutch cable is set correctly. It seems the clutch may not be fully releasing. Shifting these 1100s is not as easy as other bikes on the best days. You do get used to it though.

:Awe: Why O why did I not tink O dat?????--Good answer :doh: :whistling:

I think you said its been sitting, could be the clutch plates are sticking some.
Fresh oil and miles might take care if it.
If not, try replacing a quart of oil with a quart of atf and run it easy for a hundred miles or so, change oil and filter.

Congrats on getting her going!

Thanks Everyone,
I now need to get full maintenance done:

Oil/oil filter
fuel filter
Air filter
fresh spark plugs
carbs adjusted
coolant replaced
gear oil
fork oil
timing belt
valve check and adjustment

Please add to the list as you think necessary. Now that the bike has started and is running relatively well I want to get it mechanically sound. I got lucky with the price of the bike. The brakes are working well and tires will be okay for now as I am not planning any super long trips. Just plan to ride it around nearby farmlands on State Highways.

I will keep you updated on the progress and post pictures.

Thanks All,
simba

slabghost":2wsp6ati said:
I don't see ATF on your list. :mrgreen:

Done it already---may become a believer, yet.
Even put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil-about 5 ounces. We will see if that does anything.
You Wingers are the best. You gave me hope.
I will learn a lot from you all--some things I will have a mechanic do and some I will use my hands with your guidance.
Simba

toytender01":n3js5dmd said:
Now that is a John Deer that I should have started on back in the fiftes I probably never would have gotten cow S--t on my boots

Ha Ha,
Here is another look---Next year I will get bored with it and will get more Rustoleum Spray can paint.
My daughters want it to be "Breast Cancer Pink" theme---we will see.
Simba

Attachments

• johndeerebike.jpg
    johndeerebike.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 102
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Happy for you, enjoy the ride, and great fellership with these guys. Geo :music3:

Latest posts