Help! Valve seal replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYWinger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:beg: :beg: :beg:
I have made tools and adapters to get the springs off, and removed the old valve seal.
The problem, however, is installing the NEW seal. It seem like I need to drive it down about 1/8" past where it sits from just finger pressure.
***For those who've done this (Joe, Dan, Brian, Gerry, etc.) is that correct?
***If so, what did you use to drive the seal in place? It looks like there's a lip I need to get it over to seat properly....I don't want to damage the new seal in the process, so I'm at a complete stop.

I'm at the mercy of the collective wisdom of y'all....

:beg: :beg:

Here's a pic of where I sit:

Valve Seal install.jpg

It looks like it needs to go down further and sit flush against the lip, but I'm leery about applying too much pressure on the new seal.

And yes, the heads remain on the bike.

Ahhhhh the heck with it....once I get this put back together, my wife and I are gonna bite the bullet and get an 1800. No more 31 year old parts :clapping: :clapping:

Old seal in place:
(dirty hah)

image.php

Old seal removed:

image.php

Old seal part way on:

image.php

In the last picture, the seal is started onto the lip. A light push and it's all the way on the lip and 'clipped' on. (That seal is torn at the bottom btw.)
(The spring is moved away slightly from where it should sit.)
Your seals look a little different but the install should be the same.

I may not know, but I know a man that does, and he's just done this job for me. Tim Griggs of Griggs Performance Engines, a real good helpful fella that appreciates people that try to help themselves, 281-355-1320.

He's a one man band with an incredible shop, mostly full of muscle car V8's for people that don't have a clue.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110768#p110768:2ptm3o8b said:
KYWinger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 pm[/url]":2ptm3o8b]
hmmmmmmm as you might see in my pic, I have a solid band around the seal, not a spring - did I get sent the wrong kind???
My old ones look EXACTLY like yours.....
When I did seals the new ones looked exactly like the old one's.
That doesn't mean your new one's won't work though.
Compare new against old as far as the diameter, length, and where they 'clip' onto the lip.

John it looks like your seating position is correct or similar to where Dan's old ones sit. If in doubt measure internal depth and how far to seat on the valve guide.

You have what are called heavy duty seals. They will work fine. Used more in race engines. I always put a little oil on top of the guide before pushing the seals on. It helps them go on easier. Like was said earlier use a deep well socket that fits over the valve stem.

The seals push onto the guides easily with a bit of oil, which should be on the stem also. If you can't easily pull them off, and the base is straight, they're installed properly. Yours look right.

Latest posts