High speed wobble

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107933#p107933:2bxlcrx0 said:
dan filipi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am[/url]":2bxlcrx0]
That tank slapper sure got him to slow down didn't it.

Probably got too uncomfortable sitting on what was now in his pants....

Super impressive that he recovered, can see why a steering damper would of been handy

I have never tried one either , But , I have had a high speed wobble crash before, it ain't Pretty. :fiddle:

I think that's what the inertia weight is supposed to prevent on the Hondaline fairing models. That 9 pounds sticking out doesn't want to oscillate like that. Maybe...

UPDATE!!!

Working on the bike to convert back to Standard and repairing a whole bunch of stuff along the way. Pulled the handlebars to pull the top of the triple tree to install the headlight brackets correctly and decided to take a look at the steering head bearings while there and everything is pulled apart. VOILA! The steering head nut was only hand tight!! Unlocked the nut from the locking washer and the top nut came off by hand. The main nut took 3 turns before getting tight!

When we restored the bike some 7 years ago, I had pulled the steering bearings to check and grease them. They were installed tight back then, but I guess riding and all of that extra weight the bearings were not quite seated yet?

Pulled them out again to check and they are still greased (#2 Marine Grease is working great all over this bike!).

BTW, just a little tip............

If the engine is out and the bike is nothing more than a rolling frame, and you put it up on the centerstand to work on it.....be aware......if you loosen the steering head nuts.....the front wheel assembly rolls away as the rear of the bike lifts off the steering assembly........ :oops:

I may have been premature in my excitement. :whip: :swoon:

I had the bike heading down the highway at 74 MPH for quite some distance and it rode smooth as silk! Feet up on the crash bars, leaning comfortably in my backrest and just enjoying the ride! :yes:

No cars in front and the air is smooth. I decided to push the speed up to 80-82 MPH (which is pratically required on the PA Turnpike or highways heading South to prevent getting run over). Initially, it sounded and felt good. Then I approached a tractor trailer in a bend. I expected the usual push of air as I approached the truck, but as I passed it the bike began to feel unstable again. Not quite as severe as when overloaded last summer, but definitely, there is an unstable point when my bike reaches 80 MPH.

I backed off to 75 MPH and tried it again and it passed the truck smooth as silk EXCEPT at the initial approach behind the truck which I did expect.

My thoughts are that it may very well be the Hondaline bags are too square and at speeds of 80 MPH they become walls causing uneven pressures on the bike.

(pic for those that do not know the bike)
Before with a Vetter faring and Hondaline bags:
image.php

Current condition with just a windshield and Hondaline bags:
image.php

Hey Gerry! Why not pull the side bags and try it again? If that is the issue maybe bates or vetter bags will be the cure?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127256#p127256:1pz6xhmo said:
slabghost » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 pm[/url]":1pz6xhmo]
Hey Gerry! Why not pull the side bags and try it again? If that is the issue maybe bates or vetter bags will be the cure?
V, it is on my list as the next thing to try. We are getting T storms from now through Sunday so little chance of trying this weekend.

Finally got a chance to pull the bags and jump on the highway. Good news and bad news..........

The good news.....the bike rides like a champ at 80+ MPH now! :clapping: :party:

The bad news.....its the bags causing the unbalanced wind load (if you will). That is bad news because I use the bags all the time. :crying:

Got to give it to Craig Vetter! When I ride with the fairing and lowers on, I never really had that issue. Pop off the lowers for summer riding and I only really noticed it with a load on the bike.

That's not to say that it is as bad as I experienced last year with the bike fully overloaded, but for sure the wind on the bags is causing its own issues. The solution with the bags is to maintain 74-76 MPH. Above 76 MPH is when I start to feel the difference. :moped:

(Side note......I can still hear the music through the new speakers even at 80 MPH!~!) :ahem: :music3:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127924#p127924:1fvwquqs said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 pm[/url]":1fvwquqs]
Finally got a chance to pull the bags and jump on the highway. Good news and bad news..........

The good news.....the bike rides like a champ at 80+ MPH now! :clapping: :party:

The bad news.....its the bags causing the unbalanced wind load (if you will). That is bad news because I use the bags all the time. :crying:

Got to give it to Craig Vetter! When I ride with the fairing and lowers on, I never really had that issue. Pop off the lowers for summer riding and I only really noticed it with a load on the bike.

That's not to say that it is as bad as I experienced last year with the bike fully overloaded, but for sure the wind on the bags is causing its own issues. The solution with the bags is to maintain 74-76 MPH. Above 76 MPH is when I start to feel the difference. :moped:

(Side note......I can still hear the music through the new speakers even at 80 MPH!~!) :ahem: :music3:

Well that just increased our ride time the next time we go... and if you can't feel it, what's the use! :music:

But, I think the next time I will have a trailer behind me to slow me down to 74-76 mph :smilie_happy:

Well that just increased our ride time the next time we go... and if you can't feel it, what's the use! :music:

But, I think the next time I will have a trailer behind me to slow me down to 74-76 mph :smilie_happy:
Same here! I am going to take a trip up your way this fall. I always take a fall ride to Lancaster! Might as well keep going and stop in.

My next big trip I also hope to have my trailer. I have the hitch and wire harness, I just need the trailer! :popcorn:

That is what I concluded for my 1000 with 1800 bags on it. The bags start wobbling just a bit and wag the tail at around 85-90. My solution: drive at 100+. Okay, maybe not. I need to devise a more solid mounting system........someday.

Latest posts