Hooch bike backyard motor change out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. That certainly makes sense. So the real trick is keeping everything optimal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Joe that when carbs are properly setup, clean and "tuned" for the engine components and where you drive/ride, all is good. EFI does not have an advantage over this.

Where EFI has the advantage is when you start to change the engine components, turbos, cams, heads, compression ratios and the likes. Move to a different area such as Denver Colorado versus San Francisco. Altitude adjustments are needed. Meeting EPA standards, and in reality, these are what has driven the change to EFI, much like the computer progress - if it weren't for gamers, wouldn't need the high powered computers of today.

Tuning carbs is also a "black" art. Takes a lot of trial and error, research and experimenting to get just right.

Cheers

Yes Ernest ...I’ve been down that mysterious road ..and every carb is different .. it is very unfortunate that no real carbs out there to be had .
Most lack important adjustments that the carbs don’t have making all this dialing in a nightmare at best ....but Ernest your there also with no new parts to be had or try to adapt today stuff with yesterday’s stuff ....so far your struggles mirror mine as I was doing the SCC thing ...but in the end I succeeded...and have learned a lot experiencing the realities of a well dial in machine ...pretty rock solid ....in different conditions ...I’ve done a lot of north south travel and 100 degree temps to blizzard conditions ..and the bike stayed good to go ..
But will admit this fact if it’s off in dial in ..trouble comes easy fouled plugs ...icing and so on ...

Wow have just seen reading at ngw ....that the other 1200 modded motor with early heads ...has been redone back to 1200 stock motor ...with magna carbs on it that are much like 1200 stock carbs ...this was the only other bike that I knew about running early heads cams on a 1200 motor ....wow now there only one I know about ..that’s the hooch bike ...if someone knows of another I’d like to know about it....

Went for a morning ride ...I got into to just one time ...seems it pulled wheel up in third gear or almost did ...hard to say to much going on ...it’s sure was blistering fast though....sure is hot in Florida ...running well in these conditions ....I’m liking the outcome ...

Latest posts