Hooch bike backyard motor change out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been on another ride last night ....I’m starting to get a really good feel on the bike now ....it’s easy for me now to see why the 84 standard is the fastest oldwing of the 4 cylinders ....the gearing on this bike can be said to be tall gearing in every gear it’s got ....I have to change totally how I ride the bike ....this gearing puts quite the load on the clutch and motor ...so much so one wants to not mess with it much till the clutch is fully engaged ....two gears gets you to 70mph really quick it seems .....80 mph in fifth gear motor is just getting started in its power zone will pass with ease from there in roll on power ....it’s very easy for to see this is the best long haul gearing Honda ever made in oldwing.....I always thought hooch with the 86 gearing was just a bit short on being tall enough....84 seems to have no faults here at all ...so being in the right gear as in low enough is very important....

One thing is for sure .... if you. Get on it in any gear ..you better be ready ...your fixing to instantly over shoot your down road aim ..where a slight corner becomes dangerous ... the. Level of. Respect has to go up to safely ride this bike ...

Great to see you are mobile again Joe and even better with an improved repower. :good:

Well tony the gearing change makes a. Completely different bike .one that pleases me more for long road trips ...it’s amazing how much change in gearing there was here ....I’m liking it a lot ....I seem to have fixed all leaks now ...cooling system seems to be working fine...need new o ring bottom radiator connection to motor ..it drips a bit ..I will change this soon ...still looking for fuel shut off solenoid ...I found one so far 31$ and shipping ...so I’m still looking hoping for something more to look at

A few points to make ...the rear cover block off I made like a btreather vent didn’t work it leaked oil ...I replaced the cleaning pad with a solid rubber piece ...this worked well ...second point the stator plug o ring was bad ...didn’t have one so I took sewing thread wraped this between circling and rear carver housing as many times I could making a string gasket on the outside of motor ...this also worked very well no leak ...

And a third point about the three lines on top of the 1200 motors ...to me this was a hell of an improvement from earlier oldwing motors along with 12% more oil and coolant flow ...these lines obviously feed more oil to the heads ....

Also this bike is using stock thermostat in place ...I’m going to see how this does ..so far really good ..but temps are down now in Florida ..time will tell ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208197#p208197:qfdvfibs said:
julimike54 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am[/url]":qfdvfibs]
Sounds good from here :good: :good:

Thanks to you I got this motor ...I’m well pleased how low mileage it is ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208199#p208199:29etaxyh said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 11:57 am[/url]":29etaxyh]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208197#p208197:29etaxyh said:
julimike54 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am[/url]":29etaxyh]
Sounds good from here :good: :good:

Thanks to you I got this motor ...I’m well pleased how low mileage it is ...

Your welcome :hi:

:BigGrin: Well been several rides now ...this bike is fast ..first gear is not as scary as the 86 geared motor was ,,first gear taller and it get its power to road better without breaking loose in traction ..the gear last a bit longer to ..second gear gets you really fast quickly ..bike really torque to Side and up ...and try’s to put wiggle in the wot ..was easy to control I was waiting for it this time ...I was just in it till 90mph ...the speedo seemed to run right up 90mph ...this is fast bike ...wow ...and I’m liking the gearing a lot it will really eat some hiway up ...bike is running really cool in temperature and the idle was working great the whole ride ...things are working very good ...

Ok I’ve been riding quite awhile now on the new motor ...it is not perfect ..I’m amazed how the gearing change being a little taller than the 86 motor is made a huge difference in the carb dial in ....I am also amazed how steady the idle is and while riding and well warmed up it idles at below 1000rpm with ease and very steady ...seems to be the best idling oldwing I’ve ever had...the motor is running very cool as in tempeture and seems to stay that way ...I havnt look into it yet but it’s seems a bit lean going from the off idle circuit to primary barrel ...this amazes me some ..this carb is jetted way huge over any carb setup it was used on cars with motors much bigger than the oldwing motor is ...but the car motors don’t come close to the rpm that the oldwing can do ...I’m thinking this makes the demand for gas way huge over car motors ...chassy jacking or frame jacking from the shaft drive is huge and even more apparent with this motors taller gearing ...torque is huge even with very little throttle used it wants to pushes the bike to the side ...who would ever thought a fat weight oldwing could get pushed around like this ....I’m not sure what to do with the absolute more power than frame ..it’s just way more than weak forks or for brace deal ...I for sure think the the setup does not have enough trail in the front rake ..it’s like the bike is trying to eat up front wheel ..but I’m just guessing here ...I’m no expert here or have much experience but it does seem like longer forks would help but then I think the bad side of that would be keeping the front end down in lower gears

It is rather amazing for us oldwingers how bad ass this motor can be ..with it reputation as touring bike and not a power house ...but this bike can run with the rockets till setup limitation make it to dangerous to keep going with them ...what a monster this bike is ...not sure when I’ll get to tweaking the carb a bit ..there a bit more dialing in to do ...with the 86 motor and gearing it was flawlesss but for sure the 84 motor and gearing is wanting a bit different setup ....can’t wait to take the first road trip it’s going to eat the hiway up in comfort with rocket power in hand with just a twist of the wrist

Latest posts