Hooch breaks a belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics
image.php

Bikes going ...went for small ride ..it’s making a bit of noise ..cooling down now going to re adjust the valves some ...and look things over

You can see the fuel housing is gone and black cam seal cap is showing ...looks like I might be able to mod a 1200 cam cap to cover that ...

Bike running good ..it’s raining now ...man the bike is fast ..I’m have idle problem somewhat ...but I’m just to tired to mess with it now ..going to clean up ...as always I started it up with timing cap off oil-went everywhere sheesh ...I’m so pissed ...I just can’t keep my head strait ..bad day and good day all in one ..

Sheesh did some carb work ..got it put back on then came the rain ..

Well the rain finally stoped ..and it’s seems the bike is idling great now ..amazing how touchy dialing in a good idle can be ...but it’s running nice now ...very quick off idle throttle ...no tack now now but it’s alway lagged behind actual reading it seems ...up and down ...I like the fact that the mechanical fuel pump housing is gone ...one thing good about all the rain ..it washed the oil off the motor from leaving the timing cap off and starting the motor lol.... can’t wait to go for a ride it seems to be running sweet

I've left an oil cap off on the Goldwing once when I started it in the garage and let it idle.

It'll result in a fine mist of oil over a sizable portion of the garage floor.

Well ..did some carb work ..t o match the new work I did on the bike ...unfortunately the joe drum modded idle circuit I made for this carb to do right and dial in nice is very raw in reality..and carb has to come off to change things ..no real big deal as the end result is carb is dial in at idle ...I’m saying it’s at 99% good ...I don’t think I’ve ever had it perfect yet ever ..

On the test ride today ..it was coming off idle dam near perfect ...with strong pull ...going back to idle after riding awhile nice ...digging in strong with no bobbles when given both barrels of throttle ...amazing how this bike tries to throw the bike over during hard torque in gear changes ...sheesh hit 90mph fast ...there’s no way if a race bike had a real powerful boxer motor and shaft drive that it could do anything but wreck you ...to many not inline forces going on bike would upset itself ...

Any way bike is running good as ever it seems now ...so close to perfect ...as for the rear end im wanting to get a set of Monroe air shocks ..to stiffen up the rear end ..there all black and can go from 9 to 14” in length ..might be a good stability fix ...

Hey HoochMeister,
Did you tell me the other day that I might be able to fit a GL1000 rear cover on my 81 GL1100, or no? I can't find the post or the reply to save my soul!

Thanks for getting back to me Joe.
I have an interest in having an operable kicker on the GL1100 and thought you might have some insight on the possibilities. The responses I have received elsewhere, from "notable Honda builders", have ranged from "that's impossible, don't bother" to "you can't even kick over a GL1000 because I can't and I know more than you do". Aside from all that, I have seen a variety of unheard things being accomplished in my lifetime, especially here. Any thoughts?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211694#p211694:3s12qqu8 said:
GTC@MSAC » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:06 pm[/url]":3s12qqu8]
Thanks for getting back to me Joe.
I have an interest in having an operable kicker on the GL1100 and thought you might have some insight on the possibilities. The responses I have received elsewhere, from "notable Honda builders", have ranged from "that's impossible, don't bother" to "you can't even kick over a GL1000 because I can't and I know more than you do". Aside from all that, I have seen a variety of unheard things being accomplished in my lifetime, especially here. Any thoughts?
If there is one thing we all know here is, never tell Joe it cannot be done! :hihihi:

He has managed all kinds of "untried" things on his bikes and has never been known to give up until the issue is either resolved or proven cannot be done. (And often with caveman technology at this point.)

Whether I agree or disagree with anything he tries, it doesn't matter because Joe has great follow thru on his work.

LOL Gerry...Ok .. on this issue I’ve only had two wings around me that had kickers and actually never did I break into the rear cover on them ...but if you want my opinion ...I would think that all one would need to do is change the parts in the rear cover area that make the kicker work ...I personally don’t know or ever looked into this ...one thing is for sure in the oldwing world ...there are some who think they know it all and are just full of it ..especially when they a agenda there pushing ...many are people who think so much about being purest ...they think it’s a crime for one to do something to there own bike ...and will discount in there posts and be negative ...I’ve learned these people don’t know much at all ...you don’t take seriously opinions from close minded people there skills are narrow ....I’d say chances are this mod can be done ...certainly the gamble seems good to me it can ....all along the way of building hooch and other bikes like the angry dresser 1100 ...I was told it can’t be done and won’t work ...by agenda driven gurus who thought they ruled the oldwing world ...truth is when your that closed minded and tangle with me trying to win or knock me down ...they lost ..like most issues..what you hear the most and loudest is BS ....the oldwing field was wide open for all the ignorance pushed on me by know it alls who didn’t ....

1976 GL1000 rear engine cover gasket: 11394-371-306
1983 GL1100 rear engine cover gasket: 11394-371-306

Starter is a different part number between the two years, but the sprocket on the starter is the same. I wonder what the starter difference is, looks similar on the parts diagrams. Sprocket that drives the engine is also the same between the two years.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211718#p211718:y8yo4wme said:
saganaga » 05 Aug 2019, 14:04[/url]":y8yo4wme]
1976 GL1000 rear engine cover gasket: 11394-371-306
1983 GL1100 rear engine cover gasket: 11394-371-306

Starter is a different part number between the two years, but the sprocket on the starter is the same. I wonder what the starter difference is, looks similar on the parts diagrams. Sprocket that drives the engine is also the same between the two years.

I found that out 3 years ago. The GL1000 Starter is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the GL1100 starter. Mine burnt up shortly after I bought the bike, and I immediately tried one of my spare 1000 starters, no fit. Had to buy a brand new 1100 starter from DB Electrical, and it has been peachy since!

Length is the biggest thing ...this is what I mean ...hooch has had ...on its 1200 motor ...a 1200 starter ...an 1100 starter with 1200 gear head on it and a 1000 starter all that I got to work on it ...the 100 starter was wedge in place and was in service about 3 years before I changed motors it still works and worked fine ...lol

I don't remember for sure, but I believe the 1000 kickstarter operates off the end of the crankshaft...the same place used for the ignition pickups on an 1100. It's been over 25 years since I worked on a 1000, so my memory is kinda foggy on this...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211742#p211742:3nubygc0 said:
Steve83 » Yesterday, 7:12 pm[/url]":3nubygc0]
I don't remember for sure, but I believe the 1000 kickstarter operates off the end of the crankshaft...the same place used for the ignition pickups on an 1100. It's been over 25 years since I worked on a 1000, so my memory is kinda foggy on this...

I don't think so - looking at the diagram, it seems to be part of the rear engine cover.

Latest posts