Hooch testing and C5 ignition setup and programming

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as impressed as I was with how well Hooch ran I still need to put it on mine to honestly say what improvements there are.
I don't think the other mods Joe made to Hooch would make all that much difference in eliminating the split and pop but the only way I'll know for sure is to put this ign on mine for an apples to apples comparison.

When you put yours on Dan, Make sure to do a video of every step you do. Even the tweaking of it.

Start the video of even tearing out the old stuff. So we know what all is involved in doing this conversion.
Thanks

Oh yeah, I'll definitely document the entire install.

I want to relate what I experienced on our 385 miles back to Piper's house.
I think coil saturation is a little understood subject but I got a real world feel of what it is.

We were hammer down 75-80mph trying to beat a storm moving in. RPM's were up in the 4000-4500 range.
That run was over 100 miles I think.
When we got off the interstate for gas, the 1100 ran as smooth as could be with NO spitting or popping down low in RPM. It idled perfectly and accelerated smooth.

After the gas stop we were now on a 2 lane highway running between 50-60 mph.
That speed put rpm's in 5th down around 2800-3500 rpm, mostly below 3500.

When we came on a town and slowing, the split and popping came back. Very annoying.

Not understanding really what was going on, I ran rpm's at the slower road speed up higher similar to the interstate RPM's.
To my surprise the smoothness was repeatable! I was able to duplicate both ways at least 3 times.
I got a real feel how well these engines actually could run. Very much better than they do.

So as I understand it. What's going on here is power is being applied to the coils for a much longer period of time at lower rpm and this causes the coils to heat up in turn reducing its spark.
I'm sure that's an over simplified explanation but it's easier for my pea brain to understand.

I sure hope this C5 ignition will give me that smoothness ALL the time.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92324#p92324:z7fn3oii said:
dan filipi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 am[/url]":z7fn3oii]
I think coil saturation is a little understood subject but I got a real world feel of what it is.

We were hammer down 75-80mph trying to beat a storm moving in. RPM's were up in the 4000-4500 range.
That run was over 100 miles I think.
When we got off the interstate for gas, the 1100 ran as smooth as could be with NO spitting or popping down low in RPM. It idled perfectly and accelerated smooth.

After the gas stop we were now on a 2 lane highway running between 50-60 mph.
That speed put rpm's in 5th down around 2800-3500 rpm, mostly below 3500.

When we came on a town and slowing, the split and popping came back. Very annoying.

Not understanding really what was going on, I ran rpm's at the slower road speed up higher similar to the interstate RPM's.
To my surprise the smoothness was repeatable! I was able to duplicate both ways at least 3 times.
I got a real feel how well these engines actually could run. Very much better than they do.

So as I understand it. What's going on here is power is being applied to the coils for a much longer period of time at lower rpm and this causes the coils to heat up in turn reducing its spark.
I'm sure that's an over simplified explanation but it's easier for my pea brain to understand.

I sure hope this C5 ignition will give me that smoothness ALL the time.
I would like to add to that. I have the same issue running around town......the bike runs good, but always sounds like it is just put-putting along (even when the engine reaches temp.) Jumped up on the highway and after about 150 miles running at 75-80 MPH, if became a whole new bike!! With my '83 engine and '82 final drive, it runs at 4000 RPM at 70 MPH and 4400 RPM at 80 MPH. The sweet spot was at 78 MPH and 4200 RPM! You could hear it in the exhaust that everything was running at the right frequency!

Same thing happened on my last trip out to Ohio. Get her up on the highway for about an hour and she becomes a whole different bike!

before I forget the first video of bike running with me and dan doing it was before paul got there and also the timing curve was set in the most retarted position with very little advance at all ...hooch really didn't like it ...later after paul got here and we pluged the laptop in we finally eliminated that curve total out of the selectable curves I had and put in or own more advanced than stock curve .....also you can tell in the videos that iwas was always trying to dial the carbs in cause I knew they were off after resetting the plug gap bigger ....well that never happen till after everything was over ...the next day I adjusted them ..V was still here as we were putting on tires and stuff on his bike ...it only took me 3 to 5 minutes to dial them in with air mix screws and even sourpuss V couldnt contain himself when I reved it up ...I had the carbs all screwed up trying to adjust to the narrow plug gap .....it is now running and starting very good to say the least and it not spitting but can every once in awhile with no load and idling before warm up ...ive been trying to post this a keep forgetting

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92329#p92329:2dm47da4 said:
joedrum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:15 pm[/url]":2dm47da4]
before I forget the first video of bike running with me and dan doing it was before paul got there and also the timing curve was set in the most retarded position with very little advance at all ...hooch really didn't like it ...later after paul got here and we plugged the laptop in we finally eliminated that curve total out of the selectable curves I had and put in or own more advanced than stock curve .....also you can tell in the videos that i was was always trying to dial the carbs in cause I knew they were off after resetting the plug gap bigger ....well that never happen till after everything was over ...the next day I adjusted them ..V was still here as we were putting on tires and stuff on his bike ...it only took me 3 to 5 minutes to dial them in with air mix screws and even sourpuss V couldn't contain himself when I revved it up ...I had the carbs all screwed up trying to adjust to the narrow plug gap .....it is now running and starting very good to say the least and it not spitting but can every once in awhile with no load and idling before warm up ...i've been trying to post this a keep forgetting
:rant: :rant: Sourpuss huh!? I resemble that! :rant: :smilie_happy: It really does sound great!

I have watched these videos each once and some of them twice and think I have only scratched the surface. It would have been nice to hang around and watch this in person, but distance takes time and unfortunately the mortgage still needs to be paid.

It's looking like my '83 build, which will be a completely new engine, is going to include this ignition. I know I'll be getting together with Dan when he gets his, so that will be the final decision maker. This is getting exciting!

guys, I spent the past few days at a "rat rod" type rockabilly car event. Sleeping in a field next to my cycle, with little or no cell service.
You've all been tossing around lots of information and it's great. I know what JoeDrum is feeling, since that's exactly how i get after every installation i've done. Bike starts and runs better, sounds different....stronger and crisper.

Joe's is the first modified cycle I've ever heard run. The little CB175 racer we have video of is really just a stock rebuild with slightly larger carbs.
I wish for two things...first to have ridden my cycle down to Joe's and second to have stayed another day and went riding with him. The video camera i used to film Joe's ride provides much better sound when installed in the waterproof case. I couldn't use it since last October my camera came off my helmet at 60 mph and the housing smashed into pieces. It saved the camera though!

I have some video of a stock GL1000 on the dyno i will send Dan, but with the introduction of our new automotive kits, and trying to finish the GL1100, GL1500, and Moto Guzzi ignitions, i find myself taking one step forward and two steps back. I appreciate your patience when i don't reply right away.

For those of you who like Facebook, you will find the latest stuff we do posted there (much non-Goldwing activities but still fun).
https://www.facebook.com/C5Performance?ref=hl

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92351#p92351:2c5mvshu said:
Steve83 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:46 pm[/url]":2c5mvshu]
"Good things come to those who wait." Take the time to get it right. Of course, we all want it NOW!

Every time we start a new project people email us saying "hurry up already", but it takes time and we try to get it right the first time.
We are having fun though and learning much about the Wings that we previously did not know. Joe has been an incredible help using Hooch as an experiment, Dan is going to provide us with even more input for the 1100 engine, and GLwrench has been hiding in his garage getting the GL1500 ready for the upcoming Wisconsin state GWRRA rally next weekend.

Think of how many classic bikes will be saved from the crusher if we figure out a few things that cause running issues. It's cool that Classic Goldwings is going to be "the place" for real solutions, and not just filtered information that other forums try to pass off as help. Joe says alot of things that make me laugh, but he never fakes his enthusiasm and does a great job of explaining what is really going on, as only a hippie hillbilly drummer can. :rocks:
:thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92358#p92358:2ysakwjr said:
C5Performance » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 pm[/url]":2ysakwjr]
Joe says alot of things that make me laugh, but he never fakes his enthusiasm and does a great job of explaining what is really going on, as only a hippie hillbilly drummer can. :rocks:
:thanks:

I second that... :wave: :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92349#p92349:3rrbwq8h said:
C5Performance » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:34 pm[/url]":3rrbwq8h]
I have some video of a stock GL1000 on the dyno i will send Dan, but with the introduction of our new automotive kits, and trying to finish the GL1100, GL1500, and Moto Guzzi ignitions, i find myself taking one step forward and two steps back. I appreciate your patience when i don't reply right away.

Patience is easy here. Face it, our bikes are already over 30 years old! (Not like we are chomping at the bit for new bikes.) :hihihi:

Plus, we get to ride around and have fun while you figure out how to make our ride better! Best of both worlds if you ask me! :good:

I've had many emails lately about our GL1100 ignition kit.

The material came in today to finish the spacers so I'll stop tomorrow with some cold beer and make sure our machinist gets going right away. Hopefully we'll start shipping them next week. Until we get an idea of the demand, we are taking pre-orders only.

If anyone is looking to get one this month, let us know by the weekend. You can PM us here or place an order from our website.
https://www.c5ignitions.com/honda-ignitions.html

Purchases will be shipped in the order they were received.

Thanks for being patient! We've had a ton of emails so thank Dan Filipi for nagging us. If it weren't for his gentle nudging this kit would not be available.

image.php

Looking forward to the GL1500 testing, Janet may castrate me but I think it may be worth it. :hihihi:

~O~

C5 can you feel the possibilities? How cool it must be to be in your shoes right now.

We have the GL1500 running on a C5 already. I personally expect huge mileage gains based on the CBX1000 (a 6 cylinder carb engine) getting up to 40% better mileage, but we'll wait and see. Every engine is different so i'm excited to see a dyno run. It starts and idles like a champ...just like everything we install these ignitions on.

PowerArc really got it right with this technology and we are thrilled to be the global distributor for them.

In the next few weeks GLwrench and I will try fitting coils on the 1500. That's going to be a tough job, but once it's done we can start recording mileage. He has two identical GL1500's with matching sidecars. It is the perfect opportunity to compare "before and after" with our kit.

image.php

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92930#p92930:2vbyl9m7 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 pm[/url]":2vbyl9m7]
Paul, it is definitely on my wish list, but not yet in my budget. I will be ordering in the future!! :wave:
+1 here for sure!

Paul, Dan or Joe:

On an 1100, do I have to yank the motor to install the c5?
If the answer is yes, would it be better/cheaper/easier to install 1000 heads?

Inquiring minds need to know........

Latest posts