Horn not functioning correctly

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappaJim

Reaction score
Hello to all, the horn on my '79 seems to work fine every time I check it, but when I need it? You got it, dead as a hammer. Where do I start to look to find the source of the malfunction?

When you check it, is the bike running? It's also possible that when you check it, you touch the button fairly lightly, and when you need it, you punch it pretty hard. I'd check voltages at the horn leads with a light touch on the button, a heavy touch, bike running, bike off. The horn button grounds the horns, so there should be power at the horns whenever the ignition is on.

Yes, checking it with the engine running. It's not a pressure on the horn button issue, the horns simply do not function sometimes.

Clean the contacts, remove horns and clean connection point.. reattach.. as been said the button is the only real point that would fail other then your fuse which could be losing contact.. maybe fuse moving in and out of proper contact ...

True dat about horns fillin up wid crap....considering the location. I have a Nautilus dual tone air horn on mine now, and a few weeks ago, I noticed it was only blowing one tone, not two. I sprayed the air intake with some Zep 45 to lube it up, hit the button, and a couple of seconds later, it was blowin WATER out the horn ends! Not the Zep I had sprayed in...WATER. It's been working great ever since. I've seen horns with all kinds of crap up in them. I'd say check the horn contact first, and then dissect the horn(s) to see what kind of doo-doo might be taking up space in there.....and get PICS! :yes:

My thanks to all for your valuable input. I discovered the Parts + horn would buzz but not honk. A simple tap with my finger and it would honk. I seldom use the horn, perhaps it just needs to be loosened up. I'll make a point of honking it more often and see if it improves. Again, my thanks to all

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122972#p122972:een405u7 said:
PappaJim » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am[/url]":een405u7]
My thanks to all for your valuable input. I discovered the Parts + horn would buzz but not honk. A simple tap with my finger and it would honk. I seldom use the horn, perhaps it just needs to be loosened up. I'll make a point of honking it more often and see if it improves. Again, my thanks to all

You can also check to see if there is a tuning screw on the back off the horn.. it should be (but may not be) lock nutted.. loosen lock nut sand make a turn off the screw.. maybe 1/8 turn and retry the horn..or have your favorite lull tester hold down the horn button and you turn the screw until it starts sounding..lol... kids love to do this ! Then turn the screw in the direction and see if it gets better..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123029#p123029:1g7f4ssk said:
Ansimp » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:55 pm[/url]":1g7f4ssk]
:good:
+1 on tooting your own horn more often :smilie_happy:

lmao!!!

VERY helpful! My 79 isn't honking either, so I'm glad I came across this!! When I hit the button it sounds like someone's pushing in the side of an empty soda can. :-/

Latest posts