How long?..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhack62

Reaction score
For those of you with 'dressed' 1100s, how long did you ride it before becoming completely comfortable with the handling -- particularly stopping and starting?
I 'stepped up' from a classy, good-running, mostly original 1982 CB900C Custom (naked but for a windshield), which I had gotten pretty used to and had put 2,000 miles on this year since February. Then I purchased an '83 Interstate last week, and feel like I'm a 'rookie' all over again. Not only is the bike 150 pounds heavier, but it requires more revs from a standing start, and provides little margin for error upon stopping less than vertical and/or with the fork turned. (Conversely, once I get past second gear and there's no imminent stop ahead, it's a great-riding machine!)
Granted, things have gotten better during my 500 or so miles on it in the past 10 days -- including some empty parking-lot practice maneuvers -- but I'm still leery of putting my riding partner on the back of it, two-up, and find myself consciously thinking about stuff that used to be natural on the 900 Custom. (Today, for example, I 'successfully' took off in second gear -- with fits, lurches, screeches, and double-clutching -- after I forget what gear I was in while concentrating on coming to a safe, upright stop in a curve.)
I'm not in panic mode yet, but sometime during every ride I wonder if I shouldn't just swap back for my old 900 Custom full-time and 'make do' with the inferior comfort.

i think the difference is night and day between the two but hang in there onece you get mindless reaction down on the wing like you do the 900 you wont think anything of it and the wing will proably be easier to deal with than the 900

it probably needs rode a lot to get running up to par ...put some gas treatment in it like seafome or 2cycle oil to help clean carbs it willgain more power at the low end ride ,ride,ride into running better if its not far from right

You can do it!!! :yahoo:

We all have had a bit of learning curve with a heavy bike. First off, whenever I stop, I make sure that I am not in the center of the lane since most roads have a crown and more often than not a tire rut on either side. If you go to plant your feet, you might have to reach a lot further and that can be a real shocking experience! (Not that I have done that.......... uhh.. more than once, or twice.)

I find that it is real important that when you go to get off the bike, make sure the side stand is down first or the bike will find its way down to the ground side ways! (Not that I have done that.......... uhh.. more than once, or twice.)

Do you have floor boards or foot pegs? With boards, you will scrape as you go around curves, this is normal plus you will have to spread your feet out further to plant them when you come to stop. (Hence the reason I took my boards off.)

You will see that the balance on these bikes is real good once you get a feel. To help while stopping to keep the bike upright (meaning to avoid that feeling that you need to turn side to side when stopping), use the back brake right before you stop and ease off the front brake at the same time. This transfers the load to the rear and keeps the front forks from a big dip.

Any other tips you guys? :cool!:

joedrum":18u9onzl said:
...it probably needs rode a lot to get running up to par ...put some gas treatment in it like seafome or 2cycle oil to help clean carbs it willgain more power at the low end ride ,ride,ride into running better if its not far from right
I got lucky, in that regard. Sam Goodman of S&G Custom Cycles (perhaps you saw his auction of historic motorcycles and parts, etc., on cable TV last summer/fall: https://www.williamsonherald.com/home?id=64985) was the previous owner. He rode it to Daytona Bike Week in February, prior to which he rebuilt and synched the carbs, rebuilt the brakes, et al. It's a sound machine. (I've averaged 46+ mpg so far, so I have no reason to suspect that it is running anything but efficiently.)
No, I'm afraid the current problem is ME. I DID, of course, run a can of Seafoam through the first couple of tanks of gas, changed the oil/filter, changed the gear oil in the final drive, checked/changed some fuses, et al, if only to set a maintenance timeline. At this point, I simply presume that the flat-four is just so different in behavior from the inline-four that I have to unlearn/relearn a lot that I'd begun to take for granted.
It's probably not a bad thing to have to actually concentrate on what I'm doing while riding a new-to-me motorcycle, but the learning curve has been so unexpectedly large that it occasionally gives rise to the thought that there is either something wrong with the bike, or me.

oldhack62":r4g9c3lq said:
It's probably not a bad thing to have to actually concentrate on what I'm doing while riding a new-to-me motorcycle, but the learning curve has been so unexpectedly large that it occasionally gives rise to the thought that there is either something wrong with the bike, or me.

These are great bikes at speed, can do about anything. But stops and starts take a little bit of concentration at first. It took me about 3 months and a lot of stop and go traffic to get comfortable and be able to predict what I would do each time.

Thanks, Gerry -- I'm a teacher, so I'll have most of June and July to ride. Maybe I can turn that three months into two :grin: .
By the way, your bike in your avatar is a great- (and familiar- -- if you substitute Hondaline for Vetter) looking 'Wing! I noticed that almost immediately when I started browsing the forum last week.

oldhack62
know how you feel I went from a 1980 750 Custom to my 82 Aspencade; found out really quick that I could not throw the Wing around like the 750, just keep ridin and she will become old hat after a while.
Winger 82 :hi:

I had a tough time handling this bike when getting back into riding about 4 years ago.
I'd been off street bikes for almost 30 years before this so jumping on a heavy bike right away was interesting to say the least.
I learned right away this bike keeps going once it starts to tip!
So many say the dressed 1100 has a good low center of gravity, maybe the naked 1100's, not my experience with the dressed.

I'm 6'2 which helps a lot to handle this monster.
I agree floorboards get in the way even being my height, tried another bike with them then decided they weren't for me.

Hard to say how long it took me get used to it to the point that I feel I'm proficient, maybe a couple thousand miles or so most of it 2 up.

What helped me A LOT was very slow turns in a empty parking lot.
While riding the rear brake, I feather the clutch then make it a game to see how slow I could go while turning the bars to full stops right and left. I'm pretty good at it now but still practice often.
Like Gerry says, I find using the front brake to a stop makes the bike harder to handle and find I'm "catching" the bike with quick foot steps and turning the bars (mistake) to keep it from going down.

It just takes awhile to get the feel of this bike but once you do it's very rewarding when you come to a smooth stop, balanced upright, and you've timed your left foot to leave the peg and touch the ground just as you come to a stop.

Ride, you'll get it down.

I've ridden for over 45 years and I can adapt to a bike very quickly, but I have to admit it has taken me longer to get used to the Wing. I think it's due to the low mass of the four cylinder boxer engine compared to vertical engines, it seems to make them want to drop into the corners quicker then you expect. I've learned to take advantage of this by driving into corners harder and deeper and braking later then when I'm riding something else. Of course your riding partner might not like riding that way.lol

dan filipi":2ckazt0k said:
I had a tough time handling this bike when getting back into riding about 4 years ago...What helped me A LOT was very slow turns in a empty parking lot.
While riding the rear brake, I feather the clutch then make it a game to see how slow I could go while turning the bars to full stops right and left. I'm pretty good at it now but still practice often.
Like Gerry says, I find using the front brake to a stop makes the bike harder to handle and find I'm "catching" the bike with quick foot steps and turning the bars (mistake) to keep it from going down.
It just takes awhile to get the feel of this bike but once you do it's very rewarding when you come to a smooth stop, balanced upright, and you've timed your left foot to leave the peg and touch the ground just as you come to a stop...
I spent some time today in the community college parking lot 1-1/2 miles away doing just this sort of thing -- stopping at a prescribed point, with left foot down first, and turning with short radius.
That front brake is so darned important toward stopping that it's hard to lay off of it, but it was a pleasant surprise to learn, back in 1983, that this bike had integrated brakes so that I get both the right, front caliper along with the rear pedal. Now, I just have to habituate to understanding that I'm getting both without grabbing the front-brake lever.
fastmover83":2ckazt0k said:
...I think it's due to the low mass of the four cylinder boxer engine compared to vertical engines, it seems to make them want to drop into the corners quicker then you expect. I've learned to take advantage of this by driving into corners harder and deeper and braking later then when I'm riding something else. Of course your riding partner might not like riding that way.lol
It is one of the first things I noticed during the 80-mile ride I took the day I got the machine: taking curves at highway speed is almost an accident! I was amazed when looking down at my speedometer coming out of curves -- it seemed like I was driving conservatively, but I was taking familiar roadway much faster than ever before!
And, yes, my two-up rider reminded me that had we gone down while meeting an 18-wheeler in a highway curve -- as we did (meeting, I mean) -- we'd have been toast, I simply responded that that was always true anytime, anywhere. But, yeah -- we were going 60 mph instead of the usual 45 on the ol' '82 900 Custom.

When I first got my 1100 I almost hated it and remember wondering what else I could replace it with. I hadn't ridden in 2 decades when I got on this thing. I'm convinced that most of it was due to the fact that the bike just didn't fit me. I was teedering, touching the ground with one tippy toe at a time. I lowered the shocks all the way down and still was barely able to touch both heels on the ground. But that helped a bunch. Then, the guy I got it from was quit a bit taller than me, so he had the handlebars adjusted way up and forward. I pulled them back untill now thay are pretty much "in line" with the fork tubes. This one detail seemed to put everything in it's place. Not only is it more comfortable for me now, but the change in wrist angle cured my problem of my fingers going numb 10 minutes into every ride. Figuring out what to change to make the bike fit you will make it handle better.

Now I got an new 83 Interstate and just like before, the guy I got it from was taller than me. Now I need to figure out what little changes to make to get the bike to fit me. I noticed he has handlebar risers on that cause me to reach up to the grips. I think this is causing me some handleing issues in the high speed curves. Other than that, so far, I can almost come to a complete stop before putting my foot down. Taking off take a bit more attention, though. Maybe that has more to do with footboards inplace of pegs??? I just got it, so I haven't ridden it much yet.

I went from a V4 (vf-700 C 84 magna) to this bike... I have dumped it in the driveway ( gravel, downhill) because I grabbed the front brakes and it helped cock the front wheel.. .. had to learn to use rear brake when going into my drive.. as far as the handleing.. loved it.. was conscience of the bags and fairing.. ( had one before) .. I rode it home/work day I got it.. (4 hours) ... check your bar setting, seat position... and you may find that once you reset them for yourself the bike will handle differently.. put biks on the center stand.. sit on it.. put hands in lap.. and close your eyes.... raise your hands over your head.. and then with eyes still closed bring them back down and reach for the bars.. not where the bars are... but where your arms and shoulders feel comfortable,,, some like the bars up and away slight lean over and others like them lower and closer like a bicycle/trycycle (from younger days..)

scdmarx":199mm1q8 said:
...the handlebars adjusted way up and forward. I pulled them back untill now thay are pretty much "in line" with the fork tubes. This one detail seemed to put everything in it's place. Not only is it more comfortable for me now, but the change in wrist angle cured my problem of my fingers going numb 10 minutes into every ride...
Yeah, my handlebars came down after the second day. I had exactly the same result -- numb fingers after about an hour in one position. And, I have footpegs rather than floorboards, which were familiar from my previous bike, so I likely won't change them (though I likely WILL provide them for the passenger).

My 82 GL1100 handels and brakes better than the 2000 Electra Glide Standard I rode for awhile!Even after riding a sport bike(FZR) daily for 5 years,it(the Wing) felt good right away!It certainly handles differently than anything else,but thats not nessesarly a bad thing!Ride a high horespower sport bike for an hour(like its meant to be riden!),and you`ll see what I mean;it`s hard work,because its so nervous, demanding full concentration.I can still ride fast on the Goldwing,but MUCH more comfortably and relaxed.Get the seat/handelbar position adjusted to suit you and you`ll be hooked!I still have other bikes but the "Oldwing" is my daily driver.

If you are concerned about handling, make sure your tires and suspension are set correctly. Mine tended to be difficult to steer when I first got it because the fork seals were blown and I kept losing pressure. This caused the front to sag. I replaced seals and put Progressives in and it is a huge improvement.

Low speed nerves = steering bearings, 9 times out of 10 they have step wear preventing that tiny movment we use to keep balance

Don't know about the Wings but AllBallsRacing make tapered roller bearings for every other Honda I know of which kick ass over the std ball bearing set up that Honda persist with

oldhack62":6wxwalu7 said:
scdmarx":6wxwalu7 said:
...the handlebars adjusted way up and forward. I pulled them back untill now thay are pretty much "in line" with the fork tubes. This one detail seemed to put everything in it's place. Not only is it more comfortable for me now, but the change in wrist angle cured my problem of my fingers going numb 10 minutes into every ride...
Yeah, my handlebars came down after the second day. I had exactly the same result -- numb fingers after about an hour in one position. And, I have footpegs rather than floorboards, which were familiar from my previous bike, so I likely won't change them (though I likely WILL provide them for the passenger).

I think the handlebar adjustment is the one thing that gave me the most control of the bike. Made a world of difference.

Dan has boards instead of highway pegs. That's a cool set up.

i went from a cb450 nighthawk to a 1200 aspy. i rode the 450 for about three weeksand 250 miles before getting the wing. by then it was getting cold out so i put less than 200 miles on the wing before parking both bikes for the winter. when spring came you would have never known i had so little saddle time on the wing. don't over think it just go ride it like it was your 900

(Well, I just realized this thread would have been better placed in the "Tips and Tricks" section -- I hope the moderators will see to fixing that if deemed desireable.)

Thanks to all that have responded. I feel better than I'm not alone in my awkward introduction to the "'Oldwing" -- an '83 Interstate -- and have begun feeling better behinds its handlebars as I've topped 500 miles on it.
Still, some things puzzle me (or, at least, furrow my brow :? ), most particularly the various recommendations and admonitions that Goldwings like RPMs.
Okay, it didn't take long to figure out I need to be around 2,000 rpm to take off from a standing start without looking/sounding like a bucking bronco with whooping cough, and that I need to keep twisting the throttle to keep from 'lugging'. But, I also read about "sweet spots" running at 4000 RPMs, and how I should try to never let the engine pull a load under 3000 (or, sometimes, I see it as 2500).
Folks, I finally got my Goldwing to 4000 RPMs today for the first time, and I was going down the interstate 73 mph in overdrive! (And I just don't often drive faster than that, even in a car.) Even leaving it in 4th gear, I don't turn that many revs anywhere near a non-freeway speed limit. And, I'm just not going to experiment with 3rd gear much beyond the screaming the engine does @ 3500 RPMs.
Around town, even on main roads/highways, I rarely get past 4th, so I can keep those revs up. On local roads, staying in third sometimes makes folks wonder, I'm sure, whether or not I know how to shift this thing -- but, at least I can largely avoid the abominable lugging.
But, when I see/read reports of you guys (and gals!) turning 5000 RPMs and up, I can't help but wonder why you bought a Goldwing as a race bike!
Is there something wrong with me or my Goldwing, or am I just missing some secret skill to riding one? Should I prefer a lower gear just to keep revs up, even if the engine is screaming at me to shift it?

Latest posts